bluebird bio, Inc.NASDAQ
Jun. 2, 2015, 12:30 PM
- According to Bloomberg, AstraZeneca (AZN +0.1%) CEO Pascal Soriot said that his firm would consider buying a company like Juno Therapeutics (JUNO +12.9%).
- This isn't too surprising since oncology represents only 11% of AZN's business. CAR-Ts are all the rage in the cancer space. If their initial success can be validated in late-stage trials, they will command premium prices once approved, probably in the neighborhood of $500K per procedure. Acquiring one of the leaders would be a logical move for most members of Big Pharma or a number of larger biotechs. Juno's market cap is only $5.5B so it is not expensive if viewed on a long term basis.
- Related tickers: (KITE +5.4%)(BLUE -0.5%)(BLCM +8.2%)(ZIOP +4%)(CLLS +4.4%)
Jun. 30, 2014, 5:17 PM
- bluebird bio (BLUE -2.1%) acquires privately-held Precision Genome Engineering (Pregenen) in an all-stock deal. Pregenen stakeholders receive 408,667 BLUE shares but can earn up to $15M in cash based on achieving certain preclinical milestones, up to $20.1M in cash for achieving certain clinical milestones and up to $99.9M in cash for achieving certain commercial milestones. BLUE also assumes $4.9M in debt.
- Progenen is a leader in the development of gene editing and cell signaling technologies with a broad range of potential therapeutic applications.