Bridgepoint Education: The Business Has Improved, But The Stock Hasn't
Vince Martin • 12 Comments
Vince Martin • 12 Comments
Thu, Sep. 22, 10:56 AM
Mon, Sep. 12, 1:35 PM
- Bridgepoint Education (BPI -1.4%) is seeing some volatile trading after the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau takes action against the company in an administrative court filing. Shares have been down as much as 10% and have been halted twice.
- CPFB filing: "The Bureau is ordering Bridgepoint to discharge all outstanding private loans the institution made to its students and to refund loan payments already made by borrowers."
Tue, Aug. 2, 4:23 PM
Mon, Aug. 1, 5:35 PM
- ACLS, AFG, AGII, AIG, AMED, AMSG, AR, ARC, AVD, BEAT, BECN, BGFV, BPI, BRKR, CALD, CALX, CAR, CENT, CERN, CHEF, CHUY, CLI, CLUB, CRAY, CSU, CXO, CZR, DEI, DVN, DXCM, EA, ELGX, ENLK, ENPH, ESE, ESIO, EXAM, FANG, FARO, FGL, FISV, FIT, FMC, FMI, FNGN, FORM, FTAI, FTV, FUEL, GHDX, GLUU, GNW, GUID, HBI, HCI, HIW, HRZN, INN, JIVE, KAR, KFRC, LOCK, LQ, MATX, MDU, MOD, MRC, MRCY, MXWL, NBR, NEWR, NFX, NOVT, NPO, NYMT, OCLR, OESX, OHI, OKE, OKS, OMI, ORA, PAA, PAGP, PAYC, PBPB, PLT, PRMW, PRO, PZZA, QRVO, QUOT, REXX, RGR, RIGL, RLOC, RPAI, RPXC, RUBI, SF, SGY, SLCA, SM, STAG, SUPN, SYRG, TMH, TNAV, TPC, TRQ, TRUP, TSRA, TX, VNOM, VRSK, VTAE, WMGI, WR, WTR, XXIA, Y, ZAGG, ZEN
Mon, Jun. 13, 3:53 PM
- The Department of Education published a set of proposed rules that define when students can take legal action against for-profit colleges and petition to have their federal loans forgiven.
- Some consumer advocacy groups don't think the measures go for enough, while pro-industry associations are railing against the extra regulation.
- On watch: CECO, DV, STRA, ESI, LOPE, APEI, LINC, BPI, LRN, EDU, NAUH.
- Proposed DOE rules (.pdf)
Tue, May 3, 4:46 PM
Mon, May 2, 5:35 PM
- AGU, AMED, AMSG, ARC, AVD, BFAM, BGFV, BKH, BPI, CAI, CALD, CALX, CAR, CBS, CERS, CHEF, CHUY, CRAY, CSU, DVN, ENLK, ENPH, EPIQ, ETSY, FANG, FARO, FMI, GLUU, GMED, GNMK, HCI, HI, HRZN, IAG, IL, ILMN, INN, JKHY, KAMN, KAR, KFRC, LCI, LYV, MAC, MDU, MTCH, MTDR, MXWL, MYGN, NDLS, NFX, NKTR, NTRI, NYMT, OCLR, OKE, OKS, OMI, PAYC, PBPB, PKD, PLT, PRMW, PRO, PZZA, QUAD, QUOT, REG, REGI, RIGL, RLOC, RPXC, RSYS, RTRX, RUBI, SM, SPA, STAG, SUPN, TAHO, TNAV, TXMD, USNA, VIAV, VNOM, VRSK, VVUS, WES, WGP, WR, WTR, WU, XCO, XPO, XXIA, ZEN
Thu, Apr. 7, 3:01 AM
- More than 40% of the roughly 22M Americans who borrowed from the government's main student-loan program aren't making payments or are behind on more than $200B owed, according to a quarterly snapshot of the Education Department's $1.2T student-loan portfolio.
- The Obama administration maintains that the loan program, as a whole, will generate a profit over the long term, but the risk is rising that millions of students may never repay and revenue won't meet projections.
- Related stocks: CECO, STRA, COCO, ESI, ITT, BPI, LINC, DV, LOPE, APEI, APOL
Wed, Mar. 9, 12:47 PM
Wed, Mar. 9, 10:01 AM
- Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI) races 18% higher after recording a solid Q4 earnings beat.
- Revenue was down 11% during the quarter, but a narrower operating loss was reported by the company.
- Student enrollment at Ashford University and University of the Rockies fell 12% Y/Y to 49,159.
- Previously: Bridgepoint Education beats by $0.07, beats on revenue (Mar. 08 2016)
Tue, Mar. 8, 4:10 PM
- Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI): Q4 EPS of $0.04 beats by $0.07.
- Revenue of $131.4M (-10.8% Y/Y) beats by $4.24M.
Mon, Mar. 7, 5:35 PM
Tue, Feb. 9, 9:13 AM
- The Department of Education announces it created an enforcement unit to help crack down on student aid fraud and illegal recruiting tactics.
- "We've also seen too many programs that promise students a better life only to leave them with piles of debt without the prospects to pay them," stated Education Secretary John King.
- On watch: CECO, DV, STRA, ESI, LOPE, APEI, LINC, BPI, LRN, EDU, NAUH, APOL, EDMC.
Wed, Jan. 27, 1:13 PM
- The fragile for-profit sector is under pressure with DeVry the target of a government lawsuit for misleading consumers.
- The FTC and DOE both took action against DeVry for deceptive marketing practices.
- Decliners include Apollo Education (APOL -3.4%), Nord Anglia Education Group (NORD -3.5%), Strayer Education (STRA -3.7%), ITT Educational Services (ESI -4.2%), Capella Education (CPLA -2.6%), and Bridgepoint Education (BPI -2.6%).
Dec. 29, 2015, 8:56 AM
- Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI) discloses it entered an agreement to sell its Ashford University campus to Clinton Catalyst for $1.6M.
- The company will lease back the property at a rate of $12.5K per month.
- The Ashford University Clinton campus is due to be closed after the 2015-2016 academic year.
- SEC Form 8-K
Nov. 18, 2015, 12:26 PM
- A probe by the Department of Education and California Attorney General found Corinthian Colleges (NASDAQ:COCO) overstated school placement rates by a large percentage in order to help attract students.
- Corinthian Colleges closed operations last year amid intense scrutiny.
- It's another black eye for the for-profit education sector which has seen several scandals over the last year.
- YTD performance of some of the for-profit players: Apollo Education (NASDAQ:APOL) -79%, DeVVry (NYSE:DV) -52%, Capella (NASDAQ:CPLA) -40.7%, American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI) -38%, Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI) -31%, Strayer Education (NASDAQ:STRA) -32%, K12 (NYSE:LRN) -22%, Grand Canyon Education (NASDAQ:LOPE) -17%.