Mon, May 4, 7:53 AM
- A state of emergency has been declared in Iowa to deal with an escalating outbreak of avian bird flu.
- The number of affected birds in the state is estimated to be as high as 16M in a development that affects the egg, chicken, and turkey industries in the region.
- Scientists think the virus could taper off when temperatures in the Midwest move higher.
- Related stocks: TSN, PPC, HRL, SAFM, CALM, OTCQX:JBSAY, BRFS.
Tue, Apr. 28, 6:03 PM
Mon, Mar. 16, 4:20 AM
- Looking to contain a virulent strain of avian flu, U.S. authorities are weighing tougher restrictions in Arkansas in a bid to minimize international trade disruptions and contain the virus in the heart of America's poultry region.
- The H5N2 flu discovered last week is the state's first case of a strain that causes massive internal hemorrhaging in poultry, can kill nearly every bird in an infected flock within 48 hours, and is prone to mutate.
- Previously: Avian bird flu in U.S. seen impacting chicken prices (Mar. 15 2015)
- Related tickers: TSN, SFM, BRFS, PPC, HRL, OTCQX:JBSAY, BWLD, PLKI
Wed, Mar. 11, 11:40 AM
- An unconfirmed case of avian bird flu in Arkansas is creating some anxiety in the poultry industry.
- USDA testing is underway on the case.
- Poultry exports to certain nations could be limited if the development worsens.
- The chicken sector has also been hit recently with concerns on the use of certain antibiotics.
- Decliners: Tyson Foods (TSN -5%), Hormel Foods (HRL -1%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM -5.4%), JBS (OTCQX:JBSAY -1.8%), BRF (BRFS -1.7%), and Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -7.2%)
- Previously: Chicken stocks hit by antibiotic concerns
Wed, Mar. 11, 10:00 AM
- Chicken stocks trade weaker on concerns the push to remove certain antibiotics from hatcheries could raise costs or that inaction could crimp demand.
- The issue has been teed up nationally after McDonald's made a strong statement last week with its new sourcing policy.
- Decliners: Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) -4.7%, Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) -4.1%, BRF (NYSE:BRFS) -2.4%, Hormel Foods (NYSE:HRL) -0.6%, Pilgrim's Pride (NASDAQ:PPC) -6.6%.
- Previously: McDonald's unveils menu sourcing initiatives (Mar. 04 2015)
Fri, Feb. 27, 7:35 AM
Sep. 29, 2014, 9:43 AM
- Brazil's real falls to a five-year low and Petrobras (PBR -11.1%) plunges more than 10% at the open after a new poll showed Pres. Rousseff widening her lead over opposition candidate Marina Silva.
- The real dropped 2.1% in early trading, and the currency has tumbled 11% so far in Q3 with volatility increasing as the Oct. 5 presidential vote approaches.
- Over the weekend, Rousseff rejected rumors of soliciting funds from PBR for her campaign in 2010.
- ITUB -7.6%, BBD -6.8%, GOL -5.4%, GFA -4.8%, BRFS -3.7%, VALE -2.8%, TSU -2.4%, BSBR -2.1%, SID -1.8%, ERJ -1.6%.
- Brazil ETFs: EWZ, BRF, BRXX, EWZS, BRAQ, BRZU, BRAZ, BZQ, BRAF, UBR, BRZS, DBBR, FBZ
Jul. 10, 2014, 5:36 PM
Nov. 2, 2013, 11:49 AM
- "It's not that there aren't consumer companies, it's that they're not there in the size and liquidity that most investors want," Nicholas Smithie, chief investment strategist at Emerging Global Advisors tells Barron's.
- Big indices that track Latin America tend to focus on financial, energy, and materials stocks, meaning investors aren't getting much exposure to the consumer sector. That's a shame given that "the purchasing power of the region's five major countries is greater than all of China's middle class."
- Those wishing to tap this potential may want to consider the EGShares Emerging Markets Consumer ETF (ECON) or the WisdomTree Emerging Markets Consumer Growth fund (EMCG).
- As for individual names, Barron's mentions Grupo Televisa (TV), BRF (BRFS), Copa Holdings (CPA), and, of course, AmBev (ABV).
Jun. 25, 2012, 12:37 PMHillshire Brands (SLE -1.5%) could be a takeover target after it spins off its European coffee and tea brands and emerges as a pure play meats company later this week, according to analysts with Bernstein Research. Potential acquirers include TSN, SFD, HRL, as well as a pair of Brazilian food companies - JBS and BRF Brasil (BRFS). | Jun. 25, 2012, 12:37 PM | 1 Comment
Dec. 9, 2011, 12:04 PMBRF Brasil Foods (BRFS +2.7%), Brazil's largest food processor, agrees to swap assets with rival Marfrig (MRRTY.PK +5.2%) as part of an agreement with antitrust regulators to sell some assets in order to go ahead with the full merger of the companies. The company was ordered to get rid of or suspend about 12% of production capacity in order to create a rival that could effectively compete with the company. | Dec. 9, 2011, 12:04 PM | Comment!
Oct. 8, 2011, 7:21 PMAgriculture stocks have gotten beaten up this year, yet the bullish case - a growing, wealthier world population - remains, writes Jay Palmer. For broad exposure, there are ETFs MOO. PAGG, DBA, or companies like ADM and Bunge (BG). Equipment makers: Deere (DE), AGCO, CNH Global, Titan Int'l (TWI). Fertilizer firms: Mosaic (MOS), Potash (POT), CF Industries. Seed science: Monsanto (MON), Syngenta (SYT), Dupont (DD). | Oct. 8, 2011, 7:21 PM | 4 Comments
Aug. 11, 2011, 9:25 AMPremarket gainers: AONE +20%. CSCO +12%. EAT +11%. NWS +8%. AKS +5%. CLWR +5%. MPEL +5%. KSS +5%. NVDA +5%. BX +4%. BAC +4%. ALU +4%. ETFC +4%. DRYS +4%. PBR +4%. CAJ +4%. ARMH +4%. SID +4%. ASX +4%. RF +4%. VALE +3%. MGM +4%. LYG +3%. MOS +3%. CREE +3%. ASML +3%. BRFS +3%. GS +3%. SINA +3%. BHP +3%. ITUB +3%. POT +3%. ERIC +3%.
Losers: SODA -10%. SLE -8%. AMSC -7%. ALLY -5%. NVS -4%. LOGI -4%. CRH -3%. | Aug. 11, 2011, 9:25 AM | Comment!
Jul. 13, 2011, 2:27 PMADRs in frozen-products leader Brasil Foods (BRFS) have jumped 10% today after a conditional OK of its $3.8B plan to take over rival Sadia. A 4-1 vote requires that BRFS suspend its use of Perdigao, a brand valued at nearly $2B, and the company says that and other divestitures will hit 13% of operating revenue. | Jul. 13, 2011, 2:27 PM | Comment!
Feb. 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
BRF SA is a producers of fresh and frozen protein foods. The Company's processed products include marinated, frozen, whole and cutChester rooster and turkey meats, specialty meats, frozen processed meats, frozen prepared entrees and portioned products.
Other News & PR