Apr. 7, 2014, 9:10 AM
- Twitter's down 32% this year, Facebook's off 20% in a month, and biotech nearly that much, but money is returning to the industrial sector. While the Nasdaq 100 posted its worst one-day drop since 2011 on Friday and last week fell for the 3rd week in 4, the Industrial Select SPDR (XLI) gained 1.6%.
- In the year's first quarter, the XLI had lost 1.4%, putting it in 9th place among 10 S&P 500 groups.
- "You’re seeing the beginning of investors shifting money ahead of a wave of spending,” says Drew Nordlicht of HighTower Advisors. “The expectation is, as the economy begins to kick into a higher gear, corporate America will utilize the amount of cash to spend on capital expenditures."
- GE comprises more than 10% of the XLI, and UTX, Union Pacific, Boeing, and 3M round out the top 5, each with holdings in the 5% range.
- Related ETFs: XLI, PHO, CGW, PIO, VIS, ITA, FIW, PPA, IGF, CARZ, IYJ, XAR, IPN, EMIF, FIDU, PRN, UXI, FXR, PXR, EXI, GII, EVX, FLM, RGI, SIJ, PSCI, NFRA, TOLZ, AXID
May 17, 2013, 11:43 AMA broad rally in auto supplier stocks isn't a shocker after positive news piled in from across the globe. In Europe, a long slide in sales has finally reversed while China is opening up the western part of its territory for manufacturers. Just to top it off quite nicely, consumer sentiment rose briskly in the U.S. Advancers: American Axle (AXL) +4.5%, Dana Holding (DAN) +4.1%, TRW Automotive (TRW) +2.2%, Navistar (NAV) +4.4%, Federal-Mogul (FDML) +4.2%, Magna International +1.9%, Meritor (MTOR) +2%, Johnson Controls (JCI) +1.9%, Exide Technologies (XIDE) +5.5%. | May 17, 2013, 11:43 AM | 1 Comment
Apr. 11, 2013, 12:14 PMAutomobile stocks (CARZ, VROM) hit a higher gear with a positive report on sales in China and ongoing enthusiasm over sales stateside helping to tip sentiment. Advancers: Toyota (TM) +3.6%, General Motors (GM) +3.1%, Honda (HMC) +2.7%, Tesla Motors (TSLA) +3.2%. | Apr. 11, 2013, 12:14 PM | 1 Comment
Apr. 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
Jan. 25, 2012, 10:42 AMJ.D. Power sees U.S. vehicle sales picked up in January to reach 10.9M units - marking a 5.8% Y/Y gain but a slight decline from last quarter's total of 11.3M. The firm says an important metric - average days that vehicles spent on dealer lots - has moved to a multi-year low for January. | Jan. 25, 2012, 10:42 AM | 2 Comments
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:29 AM
Dec. 20, 2011, 1:26 PM
Honda (HMC +3.5%) expects U.S. sales to jump up 23% in 2012 with dealer inventories getting restocked to normal levels following this year due to natural disasters. The carmaker is in recovery mode after its U.S. market share fell off to 9% from 10.5% and the just-released Civic model was blasted by critics.| Dec. 20, 2011, 1:26 PM
Dec. 9, 2011, 8:08 AM
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:07 AM
Sep. 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
S&P bumps up its credit rating on General Motors (GM +1.3%) by two notches, latching on to the newly ratified contract with the UAW as a driver for profitability and raising its outllook. "GM has a two-year track record of profits and cash flow generation in its global automotive operations, supported by strong performance in North America," notes the ratings agency.| Sep. 29, 2011, 12:32 PM | 2 Comments
Sep. 23, 2011, 1:32 PM
Ford analyst George Pipas gives a sneak peek at Sept. U.S. auto sales numbers, saying the annualized rate is tracking at its best rate since April. Seemingly casting aside any recession worries, he adds that after Honda (HMC -0.5%) and Toyota (TM +0.9%) recover inventories by the end of Oct. there are "no excuses" for auto sales. Shares of F +2.3% and GM +2.9% are posting steady gains.| Sep. 23, 2011, 1:32 PM
Sep. 22, 2011, 9:41 AM
Sep. 20, 2011, 11:07 AM
General Motors (GM -1.1%) doesn't get much of a breather after finalizing a deal with the UAW after analysts dive in to assess the impact of the new contract on GM's earnings and share price. UBS takes a whack today, trimming its price target estimate to $31 from $42 to go along with a Buy rating.| Sep. 20, 2011, 11:07 AM
Sep. 15, 2011, 9:02 AM
Tata Motors (TTM) gains 3.7% premarket as the recent swoon in its share price begins to look overdone to investors following the carmaker's slumping sales and the resignation of its CEO. Jefferies chimed in with a Buy rating, saying the stock is priced in for a recession and Tata's balance sheet is well-positioned.| Sep. 15, 2011, 9:02 AM
Sep. 6, 2011, 10:12 AM
AutoNation's (AN -3.8%) weak August sales report looks like it hit a raw nerve with investors already nervous about companies depending on the auto industry. Prominent decliners: Goodyear (GT -6.4%), Bridgestone (BRDCY.PK -5.7%), Autolive (ALV -3.9%), KAR Auction Services (KAR -3.3%).| Sep. 6, 2011, 10:12 AM
Aug. 22, 2011, 8:21 AM
Shares of Ford (F) are 3.5% higher premarket in advance of a product announcement scheduled for 10:00 AM.| Aug. 22, 2011, 8:21 AM | 1 Comment
There can be no assurance that the Fund's investment objectives will be achieved.
* The index is a modified market-capitalization weighted index that includes securities of companies that are classified as an Automobile Manufacturer.
* To be included in the index, a security must meet the following criteria:
o listed on an index-eligible global stock exchange,
o have a minimum worldwide market capitalization of at least $500 million,
o have a minimum three-month average daily dollar trading volume of $1 million.
* The index employs a modified market cap weighting methodology in which larger companies receive a larger index weighting. The index weighting methodology includes caps to prevent high concentrations among larger stocks.
* The index is reconstituted annually and rebalanced quarterly.
See more details on sponsor's website