Career Education CorporationNASDAQ
Watch For A Sharp Drop In Career Education Corp.
Richard Pearson • 20 Comments
Richard Pearson • 20 Comments
Sat, Nov. 19, 11:07 AM
- Donald Trump hasn't announced his choice to lead the Department of Education yet, but for-profit education stocks have been in a celebratory mood ever since the U.S. election.
- The new administration is expected to have a lighter touch with regulations and restrictions on the for-profit sector, an industry the President-elect himself is familiar with after settling a lawsuit filed against Trump University for $25M. There's been some speculation that the DOE will see a major transition over the next four years.
- Education stocks rising more than 20% since the election include Strayer Education (NASDAQ:STRA), Universal Technical Institute (NYSE:UTI), Capella Education (NASDAQ:CPLA), Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI), Career Education Corp. (NASDAQ:CECO), Grand Canyon Education (NASDAQ:LOPE), DeVry Education (NYSE:DV) and Chegg (NYSE:CHGG). Many of those names are now at or near their 52-week highs which brings up the question of how far the rally can extend?
- Related stocks: APEI, APOL, NORD, EDU, GPX, LRN.
Wed, Nov. 9, 4:14 PM
- The for-profit education sector had a stellar day after the GOP sweep eased some of the regulatory concerns hanging over the sector.
- The Obama administration has targeted several firms for their marketing practices.
- Gainers after the Trump victory include American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI) +21%, Career Education (NASDAQ:CECO) +18%, Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI) +16%, Strayer Education (NASDAQ:STRA) +12%, Grand Canyon Education (NASDAQ:LOPE) +10%, K12 (NYSE:LRN) +9%, DeVry (NYSE:DV) +8%.
Thu, Nov. 3, 5:54 PM
Wed, Nov. 2, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ABTL, ACET, AGO, AHT, AIRM, AL, AMBC, AMBR, AMED, AMH, ANET, ATSG, ATVI, BBG, BLDR, BNFT, BOJA, BRS, CARA, CARB, CBS, CDR, CECO, CERS, CINR, CLNE, CLVS, COGT, CPSI, CRC, CSC, CSOD, CTRL, CWST, DCO, DCT, ECOM, ECR, ED, EFC, EGN, EGOV, ELY, EOG, EPR, EVC, EXEL, FCE.A, FEYE, FFG, FLDM, FLR, FNGN, FOSL, FPRX, GCAP, GERN, GLUU, GNMK, GNW, GPRO, GSAT, GSBD, GST, GUID, GXP, HCI, HDP, HIL, HTGC, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, INGN, INVN, IVR, JJSF, KAR, KHC, KMPR, KW, LADR, LCI, LGF, LGND, LNT, LOCO, LVS, LXU, MAIN, MDRX, MED, MEDP, MELI, MHK, MITT, MMI, MNST, MRC, MSI, MTD, MTX, MTZ, NAVG, NDLS, NE, NFG, NKTR, NNI, NPTN, NUS, OEC, OLED, OREX, OTEX, OVAS, PBA, PCTY, PDLI, PEN, PETX, PFMT, PODD, QLYS, QRVO, RATE, RMAX, RP, RPXC, RTRX, RVNC, SBUX, SEM, SJI, SLCA, SPPI, SPXC, SSNI, STAA, STAG, STMP, SWIR, SWKS, SYMC, TAHO, THG, TRMR, TRQ, TRUE, TS, TSRO, TWLO, TWOU, TXMD, UBNT, UEIC, UEPS, VRNS, VTL, WEB, WGL, WIFI, WTW, XLRN
Wed, Aug. 3, 4:39 PM
Tue, Aug. 2, 5:35 PM
- AEL, AGO, AGU, ALB, ALIM, ALL, ANDE, AREX, ATO, AWK, AWR, BBRG, BFAM, BGC, BIO, BKH, BNFT, BREW, BYD, CABO, CBPX, CCRN, CDI, CECO, CF, CHDN, CIM, CLR, CNAT, CODI, CPA, CSGS, CSII, CTL, CXW, DENN, DEPO, DK, DKL, DPM, ECR, EPE, EPR, EQIX, ERII, ETE, ETP, EVC, EVHC, EXAR, EXEL, EXTR, FIVN, FOXA, FRGI, FRSH, FSLR, G, GBDC, GDDY, GERN, GPOR, HABT, HASI, HI, HIL, HIVE, HLF, HOS, HR, HRTG, HUBS, IAG, IL, INOV, IO, IRG, ITRI, JACK, JCOM, JONE, JRVR, LGCY, LHCG, LNC, LPI, MASI, MC, MED, MET, MNR, MRO, MTDR, MUSA, MWA, NBIX, NKTR, NLY, NNBR, NP, NSIT, NSTG, OAS, OME, OSUR, PDM, PE, PEGA, PMT, PODD, PRA, PRU, PRXL, QLYS, QTWO, QUIK, REXR, RICE, RIG, RIGP, RLJ, RMP, RNG, RP, RST, RYN, SBY, SEMI, SGMO, SNCR, SQ, SQNM, SRC, SSS, STAA, STR, SUN, SWM, SXL, TCAP, TDOC, TEAR, TEP, TLLP, TRIP, TRNC, TROX, TS, TSLA, TSLX, TSO, TTEC, TWO, UHAL, VTAE, VVC, WCN, WGL, WMC, WPG, WPX, WU, XEC, XPO
Mon, Jun. 13, 3:53 PM
- The Department of Education published a set of proposed rules that define when students can take legal action against for-profit colleges and petition to have their federal loans forgiven.
- Some consumer advocacy groups don't think the measures go for enough, while pro-industry associations are railing against the extra regulation.
- On watch: CECO, DV, STRA, ESI, LOPE, APEI, LINC, BPI, LRN, EDU, NAUH.
- Proposed DOE rules (.pdf)
Thu, May 5, 12:38 PM
- Career Education (CECO +12.6%) rallies to a 52-week high after topping estimates with its Q1 report.
- Operating income was in positive territory for the first time in a year.
- The company ended the quarter with total student enrollment of 43,300 students and new student enrollment of 10,620 students.
- Previously: Career Education beats by $0.07, beats on revenue (May 4)
Wed, May 4, 5:11 PM
- Career Education (NASDAQ:CECO): Q1 EPS of $0.04 beats by $0.07.
- Revenue of $198.89M (-12.4% Y/Y) beats by $21.69M.
- Shares +5.42% AH.
Tue, May 3, 5:35 PM
- AGO, ALDW, ALIM, ALJ, ALL, ANDE, ARCW, AREX, ARRS, ATO, AUY, AWK, AWR, BNFT, BREW, BRKR, CB, CBPO, CCRN, CDI, CECO, CENT, CF, CLR, CODI, CONE, CPE, CPSI, CSII, CSOD, CTL, CTLT, CUZ, CW, CWST, CXO, CXW, DAC, DOX, DPM, DVA, ECR, EPM, EQC, EQIX, ES, ETE, ETP, EXEL, FEIC, FICO, FIT, FLT, FLTX, FNV, FOXA, FRPT, FRSH, FRT, GDDY, GDOT, GHDX, GIL, GPOR, GTY, HABT, HASI, HDP, HIL, HIVE, HOS, HR, HRTG, HUBS, IAC, INFI, IO, IRG, JONE, KHC, KND, KONA, KTOS, KW, LGCY, LHCG, LNC, LNT, LPI, LPSN, LXU, MAA, MASI, MATX, MCHP, MCK, MED, MET, MHLD, MNR, MRO, MTRX, MTW, MUR, NCMI, NLY, NVAX, OHI, OME, ORA, OREX, OSUR, PAA, PAGP, PDLI, PE, PEIX, PHH, PNNT, PRI, PRU, QRVO, QUIK, RICE, RIG, RLJ, RLYP, RP, RRTS, RST, RYN, SBY, SKUL, SQNM, SRC, SUN, SWM, SXL, SZYM, TASR, TCAP, TEAR, THG, TLLP, TPC, TPUB, TRIP, TROX, TSLA, TSLX, TSO, TWO, VECO, VNDA, VRNS, WBMD, WFM, WFT, WGL, WMB, WMGI, WPG, WPX, WTI, WTS, WTW, XEC, XOXO, YUME, ZNGA
Thu, Apr. 7, 3:01 AM
- More than 40% of the roughly 22M Americans who borrowed from the government's main student-loan program aren't making payments or are behind on more than $200B owed, according to a quarterly snapshot of the Education Department's $1.2T student-loan portfolio.
- The Obama administration maintains that the loan program, as a whole, will generate a profit over the long term, but the risk is rising that millions of students may never repay and revenue won't meet projections.
- Related stocks: CECO, STRA, COCO, ESI, ITT, BPI, LINC, DV, LOPE, APEI, APOL
Tue, Mar. 1, 12:48 PM
Mon, Feb. 29, 5:45 PM
Mon, Feb. 29, 4:43 PM
- Career Education (NASDAQ:CECO): Q4 EPS of $2.08 may not be comparable to consensus of -$0.06.
- Revenue of $199.94M (-8.1% Y/Y) beats by $48.24M.
Sun, Feb. 28, 5:35 PM
Tue, Feb. 9, 9:13 AM
- The Department of Education announces it created an enforcement unit to help crack down on student aid fraud and illegal recruiting tactics.
- "We've also seen too many programs that promise students a better life only to leave them with piles of debt without the prospects to pay them," stated Education Secretary John King.
- On watch: CECO, DV, STRA, ESI, LOPE, APEI, LINC, BPI, LRN, EDU, NAUH, APOL, EDMC.