Thu, Aug. 11, 10:31 AM
- Pokémon Go is on an annual run rate of $1B, according to an estimate from Cowen Research. Nintendo (OTCPK:NTDOY) is well-positioned to benefit from the ongoing phenomenon through its stake in Pokemon Company and publisher Niantic.
- The Pokémon craze was brought up by a variety of companies during their Q2 earnings calls as analysts questioned on the impact of the mobile game on foot traffic, virtual reality potential, mind share, and products/accessories sales.
- JAKK Pacific (NASDAQ:JAKK) earnings call transcript
- Build-A-Bear (NYSE:BBW) earnings call transcript
- Churchill Downs (NASDAQ:CHDN) earnings call transcript
- Cedar Fair (NYSE:FUN) earnings call transcript
- ZAGG (NASDAQ:ZAGG) earnings call transcript
- Shopify (NYSE:SHOP) earnings call transcript
Wed, Aug. 10, 9:10 AM
- Former NBA Commissioner David Stern will make a key speech at the Global Gaming Expo next month in which he will present the case for legalizing sports betting, according to ESPN.
- Stern's turnaround on sports betting lines him up with the views of current NBA commissioner Adam Silver who supports a federal framework of betting regulations. The NBA has a small stake in FanDuel (Private:DUEL) in what could be considered a bit of a hedge.
- Sports betting is slated to be a major focus of the Global Gaming Expo scheduled for September 26-September 29 at the Sands Expo. The Nevada Gaming Commission is also considering allowing remote wagering from all 50 states in what could be a major disruption to the industry if passed.
- Earlier this week, a federal court blocked New Jersey from offering legalized sports betting as it upheld the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act.
- POTUS watch: Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have offered some support for legalized sports betting in prior comments, but don't have well-defined positions on the issue.
- Broadly-related stocks: ISLE, PENN, PNK, BYD, GLPI, CHDN, MCRI, OTCQB:TPCA, CNTY, ERI, NYNY, DDE, UWN, FLL, CZR, CACQ, MGM, LVS, WYNN, DRAFT, DDAY, OTCPK:DTFSF, ZNGA, OTC:WIMHF, AYA, OTCPK:EIHDF, SGMS, OTCQB:GLXZ.
Wed, Aug. 3, 4:45 PM
Tue, Aug. 2, 5:35 PM
- AEL, AGO, AGU, ALB, ALIM, ALL, ANDE, AREX, ATO, AWK, AWR, BBRG, BFAM, BGC, BIO, BKH, BNFT, BREW, BYD, CABO, CBPX, CCRN, CDI, CECO, CF, CHDN, CIM, CLR, CNAT, CODI, CPA, CSGS, CSII, CTL, CXW, DENN, DEPO, DK, DKL, DPM, ECR, EPE, EPR, EQIX, ERII, ETE, ETP, EVC, EVHC, EXAR, EXEL, EXTR, FIVN, FOXA, FRGI, FRSH, FSLR, G, GBDC, GDDY, GERN, GPOR, HABT, HASI, HI, HIL, HIVE, HLF, HOS, HR, HRTG, HUBS, IAG, IL, INOV, IO, IRG, ITRI, JACK, JCOM, JONE, JRVR, LGCY, LHCG, LNC, LPI, MASI, MC, MED, MET, MNR, MRO, MTDR, MUSA, MWA, NBIX, NKTR, NLY, NNBR, NP, NSIT, NSTG, OAS, OME, OSUR, PDM, PE, PEGA, PMT, PODD, PRA, PRU, PRXL, QLYS, QTWO, QUIK, REXR, RICE, RIG, RIGP, RLJ, RMP, RNG, RP, RST, RYN, SBY, SEMI, SGMO, SNCR, SQ, SQNM, SRC, SSS, STAA, STR, SUN, SWM, SXL, TCAP, TDOC, TEAR, TEP, TLLP, TRIP, TRNC, TROX, TS, TSLA, TSLX, TSO, TTEC, TWO, UHAL, VTAE, VVC, WCN, WGL, WMC, WPG, WPX, WU, XEC, XPO
Mon, Jul. 11, 10:49 AM
- Wells Fargo issues a detailed report on the gaming sector to clients.
- The headline item is the firm's forecast for a 8% to 10% decline in Macau revenue for July (consensus -5.8%). Aside from the soft read on Macau, Wells does point to some improved trends at regional casinos in the U.S. Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and Maryland all saw revenue growth in June. Tracking from Wells indicates rates for MGM Resorts properties are up 3% Y/Y in July and 9% for August
- On a year-to-date view, gaming stocks are +3% to trail the +4% performance of the S&P 500.
- The gaming stocks currently rated Outperform by Wells are listed below.
- Gaming and Leisure Properties (NASDAQ:GLPI): "We remain positive on GLPI given its attractive relative valuation, and stable dividend."
- Red Rock Resorts (Pending:RRR): "RRR has the best assets in a growing market with high barriers to entry, in our view."
- Churchill Downs (NASDAQ:CHDN): "CHDN has iconic, high ROIC, and fast growing assets, with significant earnings and dividend growth potential, in our view."
- MGM Resorts (NYSE:MGM): "We see positive risk-reward based on a strong Las Vegas outlook."
- Penn National Gaming (NASDAQ:PENN): "We believe PENN is undervalued given significant FCF and growth opportunities."
- Related ETF: BJK.
Wed, Jun. 22, 9:52 AM
- Churchill Downs (CHDN +6%) races higher after the stock was added to the S&P Midcap 400.
- Though Wall Street has been snoozing on Churchill Downs for most of the year as only firm has changed its rating (Hilliard Lyons to Buy in May), SA contributor Vince Martin has a breakdown on why the recent decline makes the bullish argument on CHDN more interesting.
Tue, Jun. 21, 6:05 PM
Fri, May 6, 9:43 AM
- Churchill Downs (CHDN +0.8%) is higher after Hilliard Lyons upgraded the stock to a Buy rating from Neutral.
- Shares of CHDN are down over 9% since Q1 earnings were disclosed. The trend toward online wagering and smoking bans nipped at revenue during the previous quarter.
- This weekend, Churchill Down, Kentucky is the focus of the sports world with the running of the Kentucky Derby.
Thu, Apr. 28, 4:45 PM
Wed, Apr. 27, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ACHC, AEM, AIV, AJG, ALDR, ALGN, AMCC, AMGN, AMZN, ARII, ATEN, ATHN, ATR, ATRC, AZPN, BCOV, BGS, BIDU, BMRN, BOOM, BRKS, BVN, CATM, CENX, CHDN, CHE, CHMT, CLD, CLW, COHR, COLM, COWN, CPHD, CPT, CUBE, DDR, DGII, DLR, ECOL, EHTH, ELLI, EMN, EPAY, EPR, ESS, EXLS, EXPE, EYES, FET, FII, FLEX, FLS, FPO, GB, GILD, GIMO, GNW, GRPN, HELE, HIG, HT, HTH, HURN, HWAY, INVA, IPHI, ISBC, JNPR, KBR, KRG, LEG, LNKD, LOGM, LPLA, MATW, MMSI, MOBL, MOH, MSA, MSCC, N, NATI, NFG, NPTN, NR, NSIT, NSR, NUS, OFIX, OMCL, OUTR, P, PCCC, PDFS, PFG, PODD, PXLW, QLIK, RGA, RGC, ROVI, RRC, RSG, SCSS, SGEN, SHOR, SKYW, SMCI, SNMX, SPN, SPNC, SRCL, STRZA, SWKS, SYNA, TEP, TLGT, TMST, TNDM, TRMB, TXTR, VCRA, VDSI, VGR, VR, VRSN, WDC, YRCW
Wed, Feb. 24, 4:34 PM
- Churchill Downs (NASDAQ:CHDN): Q4 EPS of $0.43 beats by $0.06.
- Revenue of $272.39M (+62.0% Y/Y) beats by $11.35M.
- Shares +2.56%.
Tue, Feb. 23, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ALDW, ALJ, AMSG, ANIK, AR, AWK, AWR, AXTI, BLDP, BWXT, CEMP, CHDN, CLGX, CLI, CLR, CRM, CSGP, CW, CWT, CXO, DAVE, DMRC, DOOR, DPM, DTLK, DYN, ECPG, EPR, EQY, ESV, ETE, ETP, FARO, FLTX, FOE, FRGI, FUEL, GDOT, GMED, GXP, HPQ, HTH, IL, IMAX, INN, KEYW, LB, LGCY, LQ, MMLP, MTDR, NFX, NLY, NSPH, NTES, OAS, PE, PHH, QEP, RATE, RBCN, RGR, RICE, RIG, RIGP, RLJ, RLYP, RSPP, SBY, SN, SPTN, SRC, SUN, SXL, TAL, TCAP, TILE, TNDM, TS, TSLX, TUMI, TXTR, VIPS, WES, WGP, WLL, WPX, WR, WSR, XPO, ZPIN
Fri, Feb. 12, 10:54 AM
- Consumer spending in the U.S. showed some strength in January to defy some of the signals being sent by equity markets.
- "The markets may have decided that the U.S. is headed for recession, but obviously no one told U.S. consumers," said econimist Paul Ashworth.
- Though data shows consumers have pulled back on some big-ticket categories to save more, there's some pockets of retail that could surprise this year - especially if gas prices move closer to $1/gallon.
- Companies that consumers interface with daily or weekly are more likely to benefit than those in the luxury discretionary space where falling 401K or profit-sharing plan values weigh a bit heavy on demand (home improvement, jewelry, high-end auto, etc), note analysts.
- Potentially sitting in that sweet space: Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST), TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX), Ulta Salon (NASDAQ:ULTA), Columbia Sportswear (NASDAQ:COLM), Skechers (NYSE:SKX), Nike (NYSE:NKE), Foot Locker (NYSE:FL), Dollar General (NYSE:DG), Target (NYSE:TGT), Party City (NYSE:PRTY), Churchill Downs (NASDAQ:CHDN), Isle of Capri (NASDAQ:ISLE), Penn National Gaming (NASDAQ:PENN), Boyd Gaming (NYSE:BYD), Casey's General Stores (NASDAQ:CASY), McDonald's (NYSE:MCD), Cracker Barrel (NASDAQ:CBRL)... add your own in the comments.
Tue, Jan. 26, 1:38 PM
- The U.S. casino business could generate revenue up to $93B by 2020 as growth picks up, according to a forecast by Technavio.
- The upside could be higher for regional casinos which aren't battling to offset the loss of VIP baccarat revenue like Las Vegas operators, although Strip revenue is still seen besting 2015 totals.
- Forecasts for Macau have been cautious due to the carnage in Chinese equity markets, although analysts note the sector will run up against soft comparables for at least the first part of the year. New openings on the Cotai Strip are expected to bring in new international visitors.
- Related stocks: ISLE, PENN, PNK, BYD, GLPI, CHDN, MCRI, OTCQB:TPCA, CNTY, ERI, NYNY, DDE, UWN, FLL, CZR, CACQ, MGM, LVS, WYNN, MPEL, OTCPK:SJMHY, OTCPK:GXYEF.
Fri, Jan. 8, 10:40 AM
- Regional casino stocks are notable outperformers on the day as investors bet that a strong jobs report could help traffic. An upgrade on Boyd Gaming is also helping to tip sentiment.
- Gainers include Isle of Capri (NASDAQ:ISLE) +3.2%, Caesars Entertainment (NASDAQ:CZR) +4.1%, Penn National Gaming (NASDAQ:PENN) +3.0%, Churchill Downs (NASDAQ:CHDN) +1.2%, and Full House Resorts (NASDAQ:FLL) +1.4%.
- The Macau majors are also showing gains, although the rough start to the year in China has all of them in negative territory for the week. Las Vegas Sands (NYSE:LVS) is the leader on the day with a 2.7% rise, while Wynn Resorts (NASDAQ:WYNN) is level at $60.
- Related ETF: BJK.
Oct. 29, 2015, 10:13 AM
- Some casino stocks are catching bids on a down market day after MGM Resorts formally announces a plan to create a REIT. Positive developments in Macau and a strong read on Las Vegas RevPAR are also helping to tip sentiment.
- MGM Resorts (NYSE:MGM) is out in front of the sector with a 6.7% gain - while Churchill Downs (CHDN +5.5%), Entertainment Gaming (EGT), Wynn Resorts (WYNN +5.7%), Eldorado Resorts (ERI +7.5%), Las Vegas Sands (LVS +2.3%), and Boyd Gaming (BYD +1.2%) are all seeing some buying action.
- Pinnalce Entertainment (PNK -4%) is the sector laggard after missing with Q3 EPS.
- Previously: MGM Resorts to create REIT (Oct. 29 2015)
- Related ETF: BJK.