Feb. 12, 2015, 12:15 PM
- Building on last night's report about merger chatter, Chinese telecoms marked gains similar to those in Hong Kong with their ADRs on the NYSE.
- Leader China Mobile (NYSE:CHL) is up 2.9%; China Unicom (NYSE:CHU) is up 4.2% and China Telecom (NYSE:CHA) +2.9% on the rumor that the two would merge to better compete with China Mobile.
- China Telecom says it isn't aware of any plan to merge with China Unicom.
- All three finished the Hong Kong market day on heavy volume with China Mobile up 3.9%; China Unicom up 4.3%, and China Telecom up 2.9% (on near quadruple volume).
Feb. 11, 2015, 11:46 PM
- China's telecoms all headed solidly into positive ground in Hong Kong midday Thursday on chatter (translated) that two smaller ones -- China Unicom (NYSE:CHU) and China Telecom (NYSE:CHA) -- would merge.
- The two are a ways behind China Mobile (NYSE:CHL) in terms of 4G network upgrades, and China Mobile is more than double the size of the other two, which might spur Beijing to let a merger go forward.
- In latest Hong Kong trading, on heavy volume: China Telecom +6.8%; China Unicom +5.1%; China Mobile +3%.
- Related: China Telecom Poised For Large Growth Opportunity (Jan. 29 2015)
- Related: 4G Networks Will Boost China Mobile Performance In The Long Run (Oct. 31 2014)
Jun. 25, 2013, 1:46 PMChina Mobile (CHL +0.1%) are UAE carrier Etisalat are likely to show interest in Pakistan's Warid Telecom now that the Abu Dhabi Group has put the mobile carrier on sale, sources tell Reuters. One of the banks advising Abu Dhabi reportedly estimates Warid could fetch $1B. The carrier had 12.5M subs as of March, down from 17.4M two years earlier, even as Pakistan's total base rose 12% to 122.1M over this time. CHL already operates in Pakistan under the Zong brand. | Jun. 25, 2013, 1:46 PM
May 3, 2013, 11:42 AM
Ericsson (ERIC +1.1%) has sold its power cable unit, which had 2012 sales of SEK1.5B ($231M), to Demark's NKT Cables for SEK250M ($38.5M). Also, the mobile infrastructure giant says it expects tough price competition in China as 4G buildouts get underway. China's 3 carriers plan to spend $56B this year on capex, and China Mobile (CHL - the world's biggest carrier) plans to increase capex by 49% to ~$31B. $6.75B of that will be used to set up 200K base stations for CHL's nascent 4G TD-LTE network - Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) should get a portion of it.| May 3, 2013, 11:42 AM
Mar. 6, 2013, 12:16 PM
With domestic growth slowing, China Mobile (CHL -1.6%) is on the lookout for foreign acquisitions, says chairman Xi Guohua. Thus far, the giant carrier's only foreign M&A move has been its '07 purchase of Pakistani carrier Paktel. The fact CHL is state-owned could lead to tough regulatory scrutiny of proposed deals.| Mar. 6, 2013, 12:16 PM
Jan. 19, 2012, 8:50 AM
Sep. 23, 2011, 3:42 PM
Youku.com (YOKU +22.1%) rebounds sharply from yesterday's decline, after Susquehanna's Ming Zhao upgrades the Chinese video site to Positive and sets a $29 PT. Zhao sees Youku as a likely acquisition target, and names China Mobile (CHL) and Tencent (TCEHY.PK) as potential buyers. (previously)| Sep. 23, 2011, 3:42 PM