Jul. 15, 2015, 10:36 AM
- Celgene's (CELG +9.5%) $7.2B deal for Receptos (RCPT +10.3%) is “a great acquisition at a great price," Nomura analysts say, as ozanimod could enable CELG's inflammation and immunology franchise to double peak sales to $10B and reduce reliance on Revlimid to drive future growth, and the acquisition price of less than 2x peak sales is a steep discount relative to recent comparisons.
- Wedbush analyst Liana Moussatos sees plenty of potential upside to justify a rival bidder stepping in for RCPT, noting that she had estimated the company could be valued at $348/share, or ~$10.9B, in a buyout, substantially more than CELG's $232 offer.
- The deal is boosting some biotech names (IBB +1.9%), including PTC Therapeutics (PTCT +11.7%), Celsion (CLSN +7.1%) and Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA +6.7%).
Jun. 10, 2014, 8:19 AM
- Celsion (CLSN) acquires privately-held biopharmaceutical firm EGEN for $14M in cash and stock. EGEN focuses on the development of nucleic acid-based therapeutics for cancer and other difficult-to-treat diseases.
- Under the terms of the acquisition agreement, Celsion will make an upfront payment of $10.6M in CLSN common stock and $3.4M in cash. $2.1M in stock will be held back for 24 months for expense adjustments and indemnification claims.
- Celsion will owe an additional $30.4M to EGEN based on the successful completion of certain development and licensing milestones.