Timberwolf Equity Research
Timberwolf Equity Research
Mon, Jan. 25, 2:34 PM
- Concerns over pricing are running up and down the paper and packaging sector.
- A drop in prices during January could lead to even further erosion down the road warns, Citi.
- Downgrades: Citi lowers International Paper (IP -10.5%) and Packaging Corp. of America (PKG -13.1%) to Neutral from Buy, BAML takes Westrock (WRK -13.8%) to Neutral from Buy, Macquarie slams KapStone Paper & Packaging (KS -21.8%) with an Underperform rating.
- Also showing weakness are Domtar (UFS -7.4%), Orchids Paper Products (TIS -1.9%), P H Glatfelter (GLT -9.2%), and Clearwater Paper (CLW -6.4%).
Apr. 21, 2015, 10:04 AM
- An earnings miss yesterday by Packaging Corporation of America (PKG -8.3%) is helping to take peers lower.
- The company also issued guidance below the expectations of analysts.
- White paper and containboard pricing is a concern in the sector.
- Previously: Packaging misses by $0.07, misses on revenue (Apr. 20 2015)
- Decliners: Rock-Tenn (NYSE:RKT) -2.6%, International Paper (NYSE:IP) -1.5%, MeadWestvaco (NYSE:MWV) -2.6%, KapStone Paper (NYSE:KS) -2.5%, Clearwater Paper (NYSE:CLW) -1.0%.
Mar. 17, 2015, 12:42 PM
- Clearwater Paper (NYSE:CLW) issues new guidance at an investor conference.
- The company expects adjusted EBITDA improvement of $115M to $145M in two to three years.
- Shipment volume in 2015 is expected to rise by 0% to 1% for consumer products and 1% to 5% higher for pulp and paperboard.
- Price/mix improvement of 0% to 1% forecast.
- Guidance for 2015 consolidated sales is +2% to +3%.
- Shares of CLW are up 0.78% after coming off a trading halt.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch Smid Cap Conference presentation
Mar. 13, 2015, 5:40 PM
Feb. 5, 2015, 12:45 PM
Jan. 26, 2015, 9:52 AM
- A mega-merger in the paper industry between Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco has lifted other names in the sector fighting a tough tape.
- The delicate balance of pricing in the containerboard/packaging/paper sector is viewed as more stable with two giants combining.
- Advancers: Packaging Corp. of America (NYSE:PKG) +1.4%, International Paper (NYSE:IP) +0.7%, KapStone Paper and Packaging (NYSE:KS) +2.8%, Clearwater Paper (NYSE:CLW) +0.2%, Wausau Paper (NYSE:WPP) +0.1%, Orchids Paper Products (NYSEMKT:TIS) +0.3%.
- Previously: Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco up on paper
- Previously: Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco to merge
Jul. 24, 2014, 2:04 PM
- Paper and containerboard stocks are notably strong as Perry Capital comes out positive on the group, citing a PWC study regarding the potential for MLP conversion.
- Perry believes managements can create master limited partnerships for their paper mills to drive share upside potential of 50%-100%, the fund firm says in its Q2 letter.
- CLW +12.4%, KS +9.7%, RKT +8.9%, IP +5.3%, PKG +4.8%.
May 2, 2012, 2:08 PM
Clearwater Paper (CLW +6.9%) rallies after Steven Cohen's SAC Capital discloses in an SEC filing a 7.2% stake and a letter sent to the company’s board. CLW is “deeply undervalued," the letter says, and a sum of the parts valuation of the tissue and paperboard product maker is much higher than its current share price but is weighed down by its combinations.| May 2, 2012, 2:08 PM