Cole Real Estate Investments: Evaluate Following IPO
Oct. 23, 2013, 11:45 AM
- "This is taking the number two and number three net-lease REITs and creating kind of a game-over, category-killer in the sector," says Cole Real Estate (COLE +8.7%) CEO Marc Nemer of the deal to sell itself to American Realty Capital Properties (ARCP -1.5%) for $11.2B in cash and stock. The combined company will push into first place in size in the popular triple-net-lease sector, surpassing Realty Income (O +0.7%).
- ARCP's acquisition-happy chief Nicholas Schorsch in the past has typically raised private money for non-traded REITs and then sold the portfolios to ARCP in order to cash out his investors, but this is a massive public deal. "How many REITs have the ability to raise both public and private capital," he says. "The ability for us to acquire non-traded REITs, either whole or in part, is only increased" by this Cole deal.
- S&P 500 inclusion next? The investor presentation (slide 8) notes the combined company's market cap will be larger than index constituents Kimco Realty and Macerich.
- Under the impression the CEOs of the two companies hated each other, SNL Financial's Jake Mooney wants the backstory. Earlier this year: Still a non-traded REIT, Cole rebuffs ARCP's buyout attempt for $9.7B.
- Earlier today: The deal announcement.
- Other triple-net players: National Retail (NNN +1.2%), W.P. Carey (WPC +1%), Spirit Realty (SRC +3.2%), EPR Properties (EPR +0.8%).
Oct. 23, 2013, 9:11 AM
Jul. 3, 2013, 2:30 PM
Cole Real Estate Investments Inc is a real estate investment trust. The Company acquires and operates a diversified portfolio of core commercial real estate investments.
Industry: REIT - Diversified
Country: United States
Other News & PR