Nov. 5, 2013, 9:14 AM
- ICSC says weak sales at dollar stores (DLTR, DG, FDO) and grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY) wasn't quite factored out by some strength in drug stores and wholesales clubs (PSMT, COST) in its latest weekly reading of retail sales.
- The research firm reiterates its forecast that same-store sales will show a 3% to 4% increase for October.
Nov. 1, 2013, 5:53 PM
Nov. 1, 2013, 7:56 AM
- Wal-Mart (WMT) will launch online holiday shopping deals today as it tries to get an early jump on pre-Cyber Monday online sales.
- Major retailers (COST, TGT, BBY, PSMT, M) are a bit edgy this year with six fewer shopping days landing between Thanksgiving and Christmas amid forecasts for slow traffic at malls and strip shopping centers.
- Morgan Stanley's Kimberly Greenberger thinks the 2013 holiday season will be the most promotional one since 2008.
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, RETL, PMR
Oct. 29, 2013, 5:21 PM
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST) declares $0.31/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.04%
- Payable Nov. 29; for shareholders of record Nov. 15; ex-div Nov. 13.
Oct. 18, 2013, 1:18 PM
- Poultry producers are slumping after Costco (COST -0.9%) recalled more than 14K units of rotisserie chicken products that may be contaminated by a virulent strain of Salmonella at a San Francisco store. The affected products carry the Costco Kirkland private label.
- The recall is the second poultry recall (and third recall in general) in 2 weeks by the bulk retailer. Poultry producers are down across the board: Tyson Foods (TSN -4.6%), Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -5.6%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM -2.8%).
Oct. 14, 2013, 9:44 AM| Oct. 14, 2013, 9:44 AM
Oct. 9, 2013, 8:23 AM
- Shares of Costco (COST) and Family Dollar (FDO) slip after the retailers report their quarterly earnings.
- Flat traffic and pinched margins were the story at Family Dollar, while Costco showed comparable store sales strength but was hit by higher expenses than forecast.
- Retail analysts think the early read on the sector is that budget-conscious consumers might be ruling the day.
- Related ETFs: XRT, XRT, PMR, RTH, VDC.
- COST -1.4% premarket, FDO -2.7%.
Oct. 9, 2013, 3:56 AM
- Costco (COST) FQ4 EPS of $1.40 misses by $0.06. Revenue $31.77B (+1% Y/Y). (PR)
Oct. 9, 2013, 12:05 AM
Oct. 8, 2013, 5:30 PM
Sep. 25, 2013, 1:49 PM
- Wal-Mart (WMT -2%) is cutting orders due to an inventory backlog, according to report quoting an ordering manager at the retailer's Arkansas headquarters.
- Shares of Wal-Mart and a number of other retailers are having a bit of a panic attack as details are being sorted out.
- Decliners: PSMT -1.7%, COST -1.1%, TGT -1.2%.
Sep. 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
- Spending on Halloween is projected to fall 6% to $75.03 per family celebrating, according to projections from the National Retail Federation.
- The overall number of people celebrating the holiday is expected to dip close to 7% this year to 158M.
- Halloween-related stocks: Hershey (HSY), Target (TGT), Wal-Mart (WMT), Kraft Foods (KRFT), CVS Caremark (CVS), Costco (COST), and Rite Aid (RAD).
Sep. 17, 2013, 8:22 AM
- ShopperTrak estimates holiday season retail sales will rise 2.4% Y/Y on lower store traffic.
- The firm sees electronics and appliance-store sales (BBY, CONN, HGG) outperforming, while retailers with strong e-commerce integration (M, GPS, URBN), could hold up better than peers.
- A calendar shift this year reduces the number of shopping days between Black Friday and Christmas to 25, putting pressure on superstores (WMT, TGT, COST) to ring up sales during the shortened period.
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, PMR, RETL.
Sep. 17, 2013, 4:44 AM
- U.S. retail store sales are expected to slow to +2.4% during November and December from +3% last year and +4% in 2011, research firm ShopperTrak has estimated.
- Store visits are forecast to drop 1.4% after rising 2.5% in 2012.
- "Although the economy continues to recover slowly, consumers remain cautious about spending and are not ready to splurge," ShopperTrak founder Bill Martin said.
- It's worth noting that online sales - accounting for 7% of the total - aren't included in the projections, while ShopperTrak forecasts tend to undershoot.
- Related tickers: COST, WMT, SHLD, M, JCP, TGT, BBY, ODP, BBBY, SPLS, OMX.
Sep. 8, 2013, 10:12 AM
- Economists forecast retail sales rose 0.4% in August which will mark a slight acceleration from July's pace, although they note auto sales likely accounted for a good portion of the month's momentum.
- The early read on September for U.S. retailers is that a continuation of weak mall traffic and a heightened promotional stance is occurring.
- By sector, retailers with a mix of healthcare products (WAG, COST) or sitting in the sweet spot where consumer "trade down" (TJX, ROST, SIG) to their products are holding up better than many apparel sellers (AEO, ARO, LTD, GPS, M, KSS).
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, PMR, RETL.
Sep. 5, 2013, 7:25 AM
Costco Wholesale Corp. operates membership warehouses based on the concept that offering members low prices on a limited selection of nationally branded and select private-label products in a wide range of merchandise categories. It operates warehouses in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom,... More
Industry: Discount, Variety Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR