Fri, Apr. 17, 5:12 PM
- Costco (NASDAQ:COST) is hiking its quarterly dividend by 13% ($0.045/share) to $0.40/share. That's good for a 1.1% yield at current levels. The next dividend is payable on May 15 to shareholders on record as of the May 1 close.
- The bulk goods retailer is also launching a new $4B buyback that replaces its existing $4B authorization (had $2.5B remaining). The buyback expires in April 2019, and is good for repurchasing 6% of shares at current levels.
- COST +0.5% AH to $145.25.
Thu, Apr. 9, 8:27 AM
- Shares of Costco (NASDAQ:COST) trade lower in early action after the company's March sales report disappoints.
- The -2% comp was below the -1% analysts forecast and marked the first negative headline comp since 2009.
- Putting aside the F/X pressure and the loss of a selling day in the month, the company's +6% comp in the U.S. on strong traffic looked just fine.
- Previously: Costco report Mar. same store sales at -2.0%
- COST -1.0% premarket.
Thu, Mar. 5, 6:48 AM
- Costco (NASDAQ:COST) reports comparable-store sales in the U.S. rose 4% in the U.S (+8% ex-gas) in FQ2.
- The international comp was -2% (+8% ex-gas and F/X).
- Membership sales +5.8% to $558M.
- SG&A expenses +5.5% to $2.671B.
- Merchandise inventory +1.2% to $8.558B.
- Guidance: A look at the first four week of FQ2 shows a U.S comp of +2% and a flat international comp.
- Previously: Costco Wholesale beats by $0.17, misses on revenue
- COST +3.2% premarket.
Mon, Mar. 2, 8:13 AM
- Citigroup (NYSE:C) will become the exclusive co-issuer of Costco's (NASDAQ:COST) co-brand credit cards, and Visa (NYSE:V) will replace American Express (NYSE:AXP) as the credit card network for Costco in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, beginning April 1, 2016.
- On CNBC as the news hit, AmEx shareholder Warren Buffett: Citi won't get rich off the Costco deal.
- Source: Press Release
- C +0.6%, V +2.4% premarket
Thu, Feb. 12, 8:02 AM
- "We were unable to reach terms that would have made economic sense for our company and shareholders," says American Express (NYSE:AXP) CEO Ken Chenault, announcing an end to his company's exclusive relationship with Costco (NASDAQ:COST), effective March 31, 2016.
- Source: Press Release
- AmEx has set a conference call to discuss the matter at 8:30 ET.
- Shares -1.8% premarket
- The two parted ways in Canada on Jan. 1.
Wed, Feb. 4, 10:57 AM
- Analysts are seeing the bright side of Costco's (COST +1.5%) report on January sales, honing in on the U.S. traffic bump and positive read on consumer spending.
- Morningstar's Ken Perkins notes the strong membership retention rate at Costco keeps buybacks and dividend hikes in the picture for investors.
- Today's announcement of a merger between Staples and Office Depot also has implications for Costco in markets where the chains compete directly.
Dec. 11, 2014, 10:03 AM
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 2.3% off of today's strong read on retail sales in the U.S.
- While the big boys are holding their own - Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) +1.1%, Target (NYSE:TGT) +2.0%, Costco (NASDAQ:COST) +1.0% - it's the apparel chains and specialty retailers doing the heavy lifting.
- Retail standouts: Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) +3.3%, CST Brands (NYSE:CST) +3.3%, Ascena Retail (NASDAQ:ASNA) +3.2%, Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM) +3.0%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) +2.9%, Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT) +2.7%.
- Previously: Retail Sales report, highlights
Dec. 10, 2014, 6:03 AM| Comment!
May 29, 2014, 7:37 AM
- Costco (COST) misses the EPS estimates of analysts with its FQ3 report as expenses rose faster than anticipated.
- The company saw comparable-store sales increase 5% in the U.S. and 3% Internationally during the period.
- Membership fees +5.6% to $561M.
- Operating expenses +7.2% to $222.55B.
- COST -0.9% premarket
Mar. 6, 2014, 7:09 AM
- Shares of Costco (COST) fade slightly in early trading after the company misses the profit estimates of analysts by a wide margin.
- Compared to Costco's recent track record, comp sales were light and the retailer's lid on expenses became unhinged a bit.
- Retail analysts think the promotional fervor in the sector was a factor for Costco, but also warn that margins could be tough to recapture in some key categories.
- COST -0.5% premarket
Dec. 11, 2013, 8:08 AM
- Costco (COST) slips in early trading after an increase in expenses cut into profitability during the retailer's FQ1.
- Retail analysts are still finding plenty to like in Costco's report. For starters, amid a promotional retail atmosphere selling margin was higher and membership income grew at a nice clip during the period.
- An important note on Costco (h/t SA contributor The Investment Doctor): This year's FQ1 doesn't include Black Friday like it did last year.
- COST -2.5% premarket.
Dec. 5, 2013, 8:37 AM
- Costco (COST) fall in premarket action after falling a bit short of analyst estimates with its report on November sales.
- After peeling back the impact of foreign exchange and lower gas prices, retail analysts say the fundamental strengths of the company and its brand are still in play. If Costco is giving up market share it might be online with Wal-Mart and Target reporting strong Black Friday week traffic to continue their e-commerce momentum
- COST -1.1% premarket.
Sep. 25, 2013, 1:49 PM
- Wal-Mart (WMT -2%) is cutting orders due to an inventory backlog, according to report quoting an ordering manager at the retailer's Arkansas headquarters.
- Shares of Wal-Mart and a number of other retailers are having a bit of a panic attack as details are being sorted out.
- Decliners: PSMT -1.7%, COST -1.1%, TGT -1.2%.
Jul. 11, 2013, 8:14 AMMore on Costco's (COST) June sales: The retailer's healthy 6% gain in comparable store sales for June was derived from higher traffic in stores as the membership fee model continues to lead to consistent performance. By category, fresh food and home goods outperformed for the company. COST +1.2% premarket to $115.00 | 1 Comment
Mar. 4, 2013, 3:34 PM
Feb. 15, 2013, 2:15 PM
COST vs. ETF Alternatives
Costco Wholesale Corp and its subsidiaries operate membership warehouses. It offers its members low prices on a limited selection of nationally branded and select private-label products in merchandise categories.
Other News & PR