Cepheid's Results And Shares Are On Different Paths
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Great Growth Doesn't Come Cheap With Cepheid
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Thu, Jun. 30, 7:37 AM
- The FDA approves the first test to detect certain genetic markers of bacteria that are resistant to carbapenem antibiotics, the typical drug used in hospitals to treat serious infections. The test, Xpert Carba-R Assay, was developed by molecular diagnostics outfit Cepheid (NASDAQ:CPHD). It generates results in 48 minutes compared to as long as four days for culture.
- Xpert Carba-R detects five different genetic markers associated with the enzyme carbapenemase produced by carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae. The test is intended to be used as an aid in infection control and should be used in conjunction with other clinical and laboratory findings.
Fri, Jun. 17, 6:53 AM
- HCA Holdings (NYSE:HCA) initiated with Market Perform rating and $88 (13% upside) price target by Sanford C. Bernstein.
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) initiated with Outperform rating and $142 (2% upside) price target by Sanford C. Bernstein.
- Cepheid (NASDAQ:CPHD) initiated with Equal Weight rating and $30 (1% upside) price target by Morgan Stanley.
- Amsurg (NASDAQ:AMSG) initiated with Market Perform rating by Wells Fargo.
- Cynapsus Therapeutics (NASDAQ:CYNA) initiated with Buy rating and $24 (41% upside) price target by Janney Capital.
- Entellus Medical (NASDAQ:ENTL) initiated with Buy rating and $22 (20% upside) price target by BTIG Research.
- DENTSPLY SIRONA (NASDAQ:XRAY) initiated with Overweight rating and $70 (10% upside) price target by Piper Jaffray.
Thu, Apr. 28, 4:12 PM
Wed, Apr. 27, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ACHC, AEM, AIV, AJG, ALDR, ALGN, AMCC, AMGN, AMZN, ARII, ATEN, ATHN, ATR, ATRC, AZPN, BCOV, BGS, BIDU, BMRN, BOOM, BRKS, BVN, CATM, CENX, CHDN, CHE, CHMT, CLD, CLW, COHR, COLM, COWN, CPHD, CPT, CUBE, DDR, DGII, DLR, ECOL, EHTH, ELLI, EMN, EPAY, EPR, ESS, EXLS, EXPE, EYES, FET, FII, FLEX, FLS, FPO, GB, GILD, GIMO, GNW, GRPN, HELE, HIG, HT, HTH, HURN, HWAY, INVA, IPHI, ISBC, JNPR, KBR, KRG, LEG, LNKD, LOGM, LPLA, MATW, MMSI, MOBL, MOH, MSA, MSCC, N, NATI, NFG, NPTN, NR, NSIT, NSR, NUS, OFIX, OMCL, OUTR, P, PCCC, PDFS, PFG, PODD, PXLW, QLIK, RGA, RGC, ROVI, RRC, RSG, SCSS, SGEN, SHOR, SKYW, SMCI, SNMX, SPN, SPNC, SRCL, STRZA, SWKS, SYNA, TEP, TLGT, TMST, TNDM, TRMB, TXTR, VCRA, VDSI, VGR, VR, VRSN, WDC, YRCW
Fri, Apr. 1, 11:25 AM
- Cepheid (CPHD +6%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral by BTIG Research. Price target set at $42 (19% upside).
- Cardiovascular Systems (CSII +28.1%) upgraded to Buy from Underperform by Needham. Price target set at $16 (20% upside).
- United Health Services (UHS -0.6%) upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform by Wells Fargo.
- PRA Health Services (PRAH +1.4%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral by SunTrust Robinson Humphrey. Price target raised to $51 (17% upside) from $47.
- Dimension Therapeutics (DMTX +3.1%) downgraded to Neutral from Buy by Goldman Sachs. Price target lowered to $10 (25% upside) from $12.
- Novartis (NVS -2%) downgraded to Neutral from Buy by UBS. Price target lowered to CHF72 (3% upside) from CHF100. Downgraded to Neutral from Buy by Citigroup.
- Intuitive Surgical (ISRG -0.2%) downgraded to Neutral from Buy by BTIG Research.
- ATyr Pharma (LIFE -1%) downgraded to Market Perform from Outperform by William Blair. Price target lowered to $8 (106% upside) from $42.
- Achaogen (AKAO -1.4%) downgraded to Market Perform from Outperform by Cowen & Co.
- Portola Pharmaceuticals (PTLA +4.1%) downgraded to Neutral from Buy by Goldman Sachs. Price target lowered to $30 (40% upside) from $65.
- Quintiles Transnational Holdings (Q +1.9%) downgraded to Neutral from Buy by SunTrust Robinson Humphrey.
Wed, Mar. 9, 9:17 AM
- The FDA approves Cepheid's (NASDAQ:CPHD) Xpert Carba-R, a qualitative in vitro diagnostic test that identifies five distinct families of carbapenem resistance genes in pure bacterial isolates, the first test to be so designated. The group as a whole represents the most common carbapenem-resistant bugs worldwide. The isolates may be cultured from a range of clinical specimens, including blood cultures, urine, respiratory samples, abscesses and swab surveillance samples.
- Bacteria resist the action of antibiotics by producing enzymes that break down the drug, in this case, carbapenemases. Resistance to carbapenem-class antibiotics (imipenem, ertapenem, meropenem, doripenem) is a serious concern because they are commonly used as antimicrobial drugs of last resort.
- Shipments of Xpert Carba-R will commence later this month. It is the 20th test that can be performed on the company's GeneXpert system.
Wed, Feb. 10, 4:57 PM
- Cepheid (NASDAQ:CPHD) promotes EVP and Chief Operating Officer Warren Kocmond to President & COO. His expanded responsibilities now include Global Commercial Operations in addition to Manufacturing, Engineering, Technical Service and Customer Service. He will continue to report to Chairman and CEO John Bishop.
Tue, Feb. 2, 4:06 PM
- CEPHEID (NASDAQ:CPHD): Q4 EPS of $0.07 beats by $0.27.
- Revenue of $147M (+11.8% Y/Y) in-line.
Mon, Feb. 1, 5:35 PM
Mon, Jan. 4, 8:49 AM
- The U.S. medical business unit of distributor Henry Schein (NASDAQ:HSIC), Henry Schein Medical, signs on to sell Cepheid's (NASDAQ:CPHD) GeneXpert System on a non-exclusive basis. It will promote the product and its menu of 17 tests to non-acute care laboratories in the U.S. (non-hospital labs).
- The total potential market consists of more than 10,000 moderately complex non-hospital laboratories and more than 100,000 CLIA-waived physician office labs (once the GeneXpert Omni is available in ~one year).
Dec. 1, 2015, 8:33 AM
- Cepheid (NASDAQ:CPHD) provides updated guidance as part its presentation today at Piper Jaffray's Healthcare Conference in New York.
- Q4: revenues: $146M - 150M; loss per share: ($0.19 - 0.17)
- 2015: revenues: $537M - 541M; loss per share: ($0.73 - 0.71).
- 2016: revenues: $618M - 635M; additional guidance will be provided during the company's Q4 and full-year earnings call on February 2.
- 2017: non-GAAP gross margin: 56 - 58%; non-GAAP operating margin: mid-to-high teens, both lower than previous guidance of ~60% and low-20s, respectively.
Oct. 20, 2015, 4:12 PM
- CEPHEID (NASDAQ:CPHD): Q3 EPS of -$0.13 may not be comparable to consensus of -$0.31.
- Revenue of $126.5M (+9.8% Y/Y) misses by $0.31M.
Oct. 19, 2015, 5:35 PM
Oct. 14, 2015, 12:46 PM
Oct. 14, 2015, 9:13 AM
Oct. 14, 2015, 9:06 AM
- After the close yesterday, Cepheid (NASDAQ:CPHD) released its preliminary Q3 results of a loss of ($0.32) (-220.0%) per share on a GAAP basis and ($0.13) on a non-GAAP basis on revenues of ~$126.5M (+9.8%). Both GAAP earnings loss and revenues fall short of consensus views, ($0.26) and $127.6M, respectively. The wider-than-expected loss was primarily due to a lower gross margin.
- The company now expects total revenues for 2015 to be $537M - 541M and Q4 revenues of $146M - 150M. Additional guidance will be provided during the earnings call on October 20.
- Shares are down 10% premarket on average volume.
Cepheid operates as a molecular diagnostics company, which develops, manufactures, and markets fully-integrated systems for testing in the clinical market, as well as for application in the company's legacy industrial, biothreat and partner markets. The company's systems enable molecular testing... More
Industry: Scientific & Technical Instruments
Country: United States
Other News & PR