Fri, May 20, 11:42 AM
- The Guggenheim Spin-Off ETF (NYSEARCA:CSD) will now track the S&P U.S. Spin-Off Index and be renamed the Guggenheim S&P Spin-Off ETF. The previous index was the Beacon Spin-Off Index.
- The Guggenheim Timber ETF (NYSEARCA:CUT) will now track the MSCI ACWI IMI Timber Select Capped Index and be renamed the Guggenheim MSCI Global Timber ETF. The previous index was the Beacon Spin-Off Index.
- Source: Press release
Sep. 11, 2013, 3:50 PM
- U.S. REITs had a tough August, falling 6.23% on a total return basis, according to NAREIT. The YTD return has now gone slightly negative. This compares to the S&P 500 off 2.9% in August and up 16.15% YTD.
- Not all sectors are down though. Lodging/Resorts leads, gaining 10.85% YTD. Self-Storage, Manufactured Homes, and Timber (CUT, WOOD) have also gained.
- Leading on the downside are mortgage REITs (MORT), off 5.59% YTD. Apartments and Retail are also posting losses YTD.
- REIT ETFs: FRI, WREI, FTY, ICF, IYR, REM, REZ, RTL, PSR, KBWY, SCHH, RWR, VNQ, DRN, URE, DRV, SRS, REK, ROOF, REZ, MORL.
Nov. 6, 2012, 11:13 AM
Brookfield Asset Mangement (BAM) nears a deal with China Investment Corp. to sell a 12.5% stake in its Canadian timber assets for about $100M, according to sources. Brookfield has made clear it intends to monetize these assets and has found a willing buyer in CIC which has made clear its desire to shift investments from paper to real things.| Nov. 6, 2012, 11:13 AM
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Harvard is taking a shine to natural resources - particularly timber (WOOD, CUT) - maybe at the expense of private equity and hedge funds, according to the normally secretive endowment chief Jane Mendillo. Of distressed credit in Europe, she's interested, but notes it's the hot new investment area and will take a pass for now.| Jul. 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Jun. 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Composite lumber prices are up 26% YTD, and Goldman Sachs sees continuing favorable wood products pricing given a U.S. housing recovery and unfilled order-to-inventory ratios above the five-year average. The firm adds Weyerhauser (WY +0.2%) to its Americas Conviction List with a 12-month target price of $25.| Jun. 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:24 AMSA author Bear Fight makes the case for timber stocks - pointing to the sector's low correlation to other asset classes and the ability for investors to hedge against inflation. Another intriguing feature in an era of low interest rates, timber companies can offer steady dividends (3%-4%) by buying land with different maturity dates. Favorite sector picks: RYN, PCL, PCH, WY. | Jan. 19, 2012, 11:24 AM
Oct. 10, 2011, 10:02 AM
Correctly calling copper "a doppelganger for whatever stock prices do," Tom McClellan suggests dropping the tired "Dr. Copper" moniker. Have a look at lumber - uncorrelated from "risk on/off," it may make a better economic indicator. Its recent move into contango suggests prices (and the economy) are headed higher soon.| Oct. 10, 2011, 10:02 AM | 9 Comments
Dec. 26, 2008, 1:08 PM
Jun. 30, 2008, 1:44 PM