Tue, Sep. 20, 4:46 PM
- via Bespoke - see table
- Five of the stocks have > 50% of their shares sold short.
- SHLD leads the pack.
Fri, Sep. 9, 2:01 PM
Fri, Sep. 9, 12:44 PM
- PBF Energy (PBF -4.6%) is downgraded to Sell from Neutral with a $19 price target, cut from $23, while CVR Energy (CVI +5.3%) is upgraded to Neutral from Sell with a $15 target, raised from $13, at Goldman Sachs.
- In cutting PBF to Sell, Goldman foresees negative free cash flow generation, reflecting ~6% 2016-18 free cash flow yield that translates to a long-term dividend reduction; the firm also cites downside to guidance at the Chalmette and Torrance refining assets, higher RINs exposure, and tough conditions in the U.S. east coast refining market.
- Goldman thinks CVR shares are due to stabilize after a tightening of Brent-WTI differentials and an increase in RIN- and ethanol-related expenses.
Tue, Aug. 16, 4:42 AM
- Billionaire investor Carl Icahn has called on the EPA to make changes to the market for renewable fuel credits or else risk "the mother of all short squeezes" that could bankrupt refiners.
- "The RIN market is the quintessential example of a 'rigged' market where large gas station chains, big oil companies and large speculators are assured to make windfall profits at the expense of small and midsized independent refineries which have been designated the 'obligated parties' to deliver RINs."
- Related tickers: VLO, NTI, CLMT, MPC, TSO, ALDW, CVI, WNR, PBF, DK, HFC, CVRR, NTI, ALJ, TSO, WNR, PSX, XOM, PBF
Thu, Aug. 11, 5:30 PM
- Delek US (NYSE:DK) +12.8% AH following a NY Post report that Carl Icahn-controlled refiner CVR Energy (NYSE:CVI) is planning to make an offer for the company; CVI +9.2% AH.
- The report also speculates that Icahn, who sits on DK’s board, is building a personal stake in the company.
- Refiners have been hurt this year by narrowing oil spreads plus the rising price of RINs; DK has lost 39% and CVI has shed 65% YTD.
Thu, Jul. 28, 8:47 AM
Thu, Jul. 28, 8:35 AM
Wed, Jul. 27, 5:30 PM
- AB, ABMD, ACIW, ACOR, ADP, AEP, ALKS, ALLE, ALXN, AMT, APD, ARIA, AZN, BC, BCC, BCO, BCOR, BEN, BG, BGCP, BHI, BMS, BMY, BSX, BWA, BWEN, BZH, CAB, CBG, CBM, CELG, CFX, CIT, CL, CLF, CLFD, CME, CMS, COMM, COP, COR, CRR, CRS, CS, CSH, CVI, CVRR, CWT, DBD, DFT, DLX, DOW, DSX, EME, EPD, EQM, EQT, EXLS, F, FCFS, FCN, FI, FIG, FITB, FLY, FSS, GLOP, GNC, GOV, GPI, GPN, GRUB, GTLS, HCA, HEES, HOG, HP, HSY, HTH, IART, IDA, IGT, INCR, INGR, IP, IPGP, IRDM, ITC, ITG, IVC, IVZ, KEM, LAD, LAZ, LDOS, LEA, LKQ, LLL, LPG, MA, MCS, MD, MDP, MDWD, MINI, MITK, MJN, MKTX, MMC, MNRO, MPC, MPLX, MSCI, MTH, MTRN, MVIS, NAP, NEWM, NICE, NMR, NOV, NTCT, NYT, OAK, ODFL, ORI, OSK, PAG, PCG, PES, PF, PJC, PNR, POT, PRLB, PTEN, PX, RDN, RDS.A, RPM, RTN, SCG, SEE, SERV, SFE, SPB, SPGI, SQBG, SQNS, STNG, SXC, SXCP, TCK, TFX, TGI, THRM, TKR, TMO, TPX, TREE, TRI, TZOO, UAN, UBSI, UTHR, VC, VGR, VIVO, VNTV, WCC, WILN, WRLD, WST, WWE, YNDX, ZBH
Wed, Jun. 29, 3:58 PM
- Tesoro (TSO +1.9%) is upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a $100 price target, lifted from $96, at Goldman Sachs, citing a more constructive outlook for the California refining market, underappreciated value in non-refining assets, and limited risk from higher RINs and a lower Brent-WTI spread.
- Goldman thinks the California refining market will remain well-balanced, despite Torrance returning to service, driven by growing regional demand and the currently low inventories, and that investors have not been giving TSO fair value for its non-refining businesses.
- At the same time, the firm downgrades PBF Energy (PBF +1.2%) to Neutral from Buy with a $26 price target, cut from $37, expecting the company to be “disproportionately negatively impacted” by expectations of higher RINs prices.
- Along with TSO, Goldman rates Valero (VLO +0.1%) and Marathon Petroleum (MPC +4%) as Buys among refiners, while maintaining Sell ratings on Phillips 66 (PSX +1.2%), HollyFrontier (HFC +0.1%), CVR Energy (CVI -0.4%) and CVR Refining (CVRR -1%).
Thu, Apr. 28, 7:17 PM
- Q1 earnings reports illustrate the end of U.S. refiners' years-long boom from cheap and plentiful crude, Reuters reports, as rising oil inventories and weak demand hurt profits and pushed revenues to their lowest in years.
- PBF Energy (NYSE:PBF) and CVR Energy (NYSE:CVI) reported respective quarterly losses of $66.5M and $68M (I, II), while Marathon Petroleum (NYSE:MPC) eked out a $1M profit following earnings of nearly $900M a year ago, and reported their weakest revenue totals in at least four years.
- Refiners "were incentivized to run at higher rates and put more barrels in inventory. That's the overhang we're seeing right now," CVR CEO Jack Lipinski said in today's earnings conference call.
- PBF also coped with downtime at its Delaware plant because of a weather-related power outage in January.
- Phillips 66 (NYSE:PSX) is scheduled to report Q1 results tomorrow, with Valero Energy (NYSE:VLO), Tesoro (NYSE:TSO) and others coming next week.
- Now read The best of the best in the refining industry
Thu, Apr. 28, 8:39 AM
Thu, Apr. 28, 8:35 AM
Wed, Apr. 27, 5:30 PM
- AB, ABBV, ACOR, ADP, AEP, AET, AIT, ALKS, ALLE, ALXN, AME, APD, ASPS, AUO, AVT, AXTA, BC, BCOR, BG, BLL, BMS, BMY, BOFI, BWA, BWEN, BXLT, BZH, CAB, CAH, CBG, CCE, CELG, CHTR, CIT, CL, CLF, CLFD, CME, CMS, COMM, COP, COR, CRCM, CRI, CRR, CSH, CVI, CVRR, CWT, CY, DBD, DFT, DLX, DNKN, DOW, DPZ, EME, EPD, EQM, EQT, F, FCFS, FCN, GEO, GLOP, GNC, GOV, GTLS, GWR, HAR, HEES, HHS, HMC, HUN, I, IDA, IDCC, INGR, INSY, INT, IPGP, IQNT, IRDM, IRM, ITC, ITCI, IVC, IVZ, KERX, LANC, LBY, LKQ, LVLT, MA, MD, MDP, MHO, MINI, MITK, MJN, MMC, MO, MPC, MPLX, MSCI, MTH, NEE, NEWM, NOV, OAK, ODFL, ORI, OSK, PF, PJC, POT, PPL, PRLB, PTEN, QSR, RGS, RTIX, RTN, RUTH, SABR, SCG, SEE, SFE, SIRI, SNAK, SNE, SPB, SPIL, SQNS, TFX, THRM, TMO, TOWR, TPX, TWC, TZOO, UAN, UBSI, UFS, UPS, UTHR, VA, VAC, VC, VIAB, VIVO, WCC, WM, WNS, WST, XRS, YNDX, ZBH
Thu, Feb. 18, 8:38 AM
- CVR Energy (NYSE:CVI) declares $0.50/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 7.36%
- Payable March 7; for shareholders of record Feb. 29; ex-div Feb. 25.
Thu, Feb. 18, 8:34 AM
- CVR Energy (NYSE:CVI): Q4 EPS of -$0.52 misses by $0.19.
- Revenue of $1.01B (-45.1% Y/Y) beats by $40.49M.
Wed, Feb. 17, 5:30 PM
- AAN, AAWW, AGIO, ALE, BCC, CAB, CBB, CHH, COT, CVI, CVRR, DAN, DISCA, DISH, DNR, DUK, EIGI, ETR, GEL, GOV, H, HCN, HII, HOT, IDA, IDCC, IQNT, IRT, LDOS, LH, MFA, MGM, MNTA, MPEL, MTRN, MZOR, NHI, NI, ONE, PAAS, PCG, POOL, PPP, PRGO, RS, SCG, SIX, SODA, SYNT, TK, TNK, TTC, UAN, UPL, VA, VAL, WAB, WM, WMT, WST