Mon, Feb. 9, 4:11 PM
Sun, Feb. 8, 5:35 PM
Fri, Feb. 6, 12:45 PM
Fri, Jan. 30, 2:58 PM
- The Baltic Dry Index falls another 3.8% and is now trading at its lowest levels since the 1980s, even as traded volumes of many commodities are reaching record levels.
- The dry-bulk market has been sunk by a perfect storm as new ships ordered after the financial crisis have hit the seas just as Chinese economic growth has slowed and commodity prices have turned lower.
- Earnings for a capesize vessel typically used to transport coal and iron ore have fallen to $6,707/day today, down ~50% Y/Y and hardly enough to cover daily operating expenses of $6K-$10K.
- As one analyst says, some of the share prices are starting to reflect almost a state of bankruptcy: Shares of Scorpio Bulkers (NYSE:SALT), for one, have plunged 85% in the past year, and Star Bulk Carriers (NASDAQ:SBLK) has shed 67% in the same period.
- Related tickers: FREE, EGLE, SB, DRYS, NM, SHIP, ESEA, PRGN, DCIX, GSL, NMM, DSX, DAC, KEX, ULTR, BALT, SINO.
Oct. 29, 2014, 5:51 PM| Comment!
Oct. 28, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABX, ACGL, ACHC, ACMP, AEGN, AEM, AFOP, AHL, AIZ, AKAM, ALDW, ALL, ANIK, ARAY, ARII, ARRS, ASGN, ATML, AUY, AXS, BGC, BIDU, BLKB, BMR, CACI, CALX, CAR, CATM, CAVM, CBG, CBL, CEMP, CENX, CHDN, CJES, CLD, CLUB, CMO, CNW, CRL, CRUS, CSGP, CSII, CUZ, CW, CWT, DAC, DRE, DRIV, DWA, EQIX, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXL, EXR, FBHS, FFIV, FISH, FLEX, FLTX, FMC, FNF, FORM, FORR, FR, GLUU, HBI, HOS, HT, IPI, IRG, ISIL, JDSU, KEX, KRFT, KS, LGCY, LNC, LOCK, LOPE, MAA, MANT, MASI, MDAS, MEOH, MET, MOBL, MTGE, MUR, NCLH, NE, NEU, NEWP, NSIT, OII, PDM, PEIX, PGTI, PPC, PRXL, PSMI, PVA, QGEN, QTM, QUIK, RFMD, RGR, RJF, RNG, RRC, RRTS, RST, SCI, SFLY, SGI, SIMO, SLCA, SPN, SPRT, SSNC, SSS, STR, SU, TEX, TFSL, TGB, TGI, THG, TRLA, TTMI, TTWO, UNM, V, VECO, VGR, VPRT, VR, WLL, WMB, WPZ, WSTL, WTW
May. 5, 2014, 6:52 PM
Apr. 21, 2014, 12:46 PM
Apr. 21, 2014, 12:23 PM
- Genco Shipping (GNK) has filed for bankruptcy, Bloomberg reports, as weakness in charter rates for its dry-bulk cargo ships made it difficult for the company to pay its creditors; shares have been halted since the open.
- GNK reportedly listed assets of $2.4B and debt of $1.5B in a Chapter 11 filing.
- Other shippers on the radar: DRYS, PRGN, DSX, FREE, EGLE, NM, NMM, SBLK, KEX, SB, SINO, BALT, ESEA, DCIX, TEU, DAC, SHIP, SSW, GSL.
Feb. 10, 2014, 5:04 PM| Comment!
Jan. 23, 2014, 9:41 AM
- Shipping rates fell again overnight, and the Baltic Dry Index is now -44% YTD.
- Overnight, capesize shipping rates declined 19.6% (or -$1,4620 to $11,128/day), panamax rates slipped 4% (or -$219) to $11,710/day, while supramax rates fell 1.8% (or -$94) to $11,721/day.
- YTD, capesize rates -71.5%, panamax rates -20%, supramax rates -23%.
- On watch: DRYS, GNK, PRGN, DSX, FREE, ULTR, EGLE, NM, NMM, SBLK, KEX, SB, SINO, BALT, ESEA, DCIX, TEU, DAC, SHIP, SSW, GSL.
Jan. 15, 2014, 10:35 AM
- Shippers are on the move after dry bulk shipping rates finally show their first gain of the year.
- The Baltic Dry Index shows a four-point increase due to gains in capesize rates, which rose $280 to $13,168/day, while panamax rates fell $54 to $12,534 and supramax rates fell $65 to $12,364/day.
- Before today's gains, the BDI had plunged 40% YTD in its worst start of the year in 30 years.
- FREE +7.4%, EGLE +7.3%, GNK +5.5%, SB +4.3%, DRYS +4.1%, NM +3.4%, SBLK +2.8%, SHIP +2.5%, ESEA +2.3%, PRGN +2.1%, DCIX +2%, GSL +1.9%, NMM +1.3%, DSX +1.3%, DAC +1.1%, KEX +0.8%, ULTR +0.3%, BALT -1%, SINO -0.8%.
Jul. 29, 2013, 6:32 PM
Apr. 29, 2013, 6:25 PM
Feb. 11, 2013, 4:19 PM
Dec. 12, 2012, 9:06 AM
DAC vs. ETF Alternatives
Danaos Corpis the owner of containerships, chartering its vessels to many of the liner companies. It deploys its containership fleet mainly under multi-year charters with liner companies that operate regularly scheduled routes between commercial ports.
Other News & PR