Sep. 25, 2015, 4:10 PM
Jul. 20, 2015, 8:02 AM
- Gold is the big mover today - down 1.6% to a five-year low following a smaller than expected revision to China's gold reserves - but the commodity sector overall is set to close at its lowest point since June of 2002, according to the Bloomberg Commodity Index.
- On the flip-side the Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index is in the green again today and looking for a fifth straight week of gains.
- ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSP, GSC, DJCI, DEE, LSC, CMD, UCI, FTGC, DYY, DDP, BCM, UCD, COMT, CMDT, SBV, DPU, PDBC, CSCB, CSCR
Jun. 26, 2015, 4:19 PM
Dec. 31, 2014, 2:17 PM
- A tough year for commodity prices continues all the way into the close of the last session, with precious metals, energy, grains, and most of the softs slumping sharply. 2014's big commodity winner, naturally, stands alone in the green today - coffee is up 2%.
- The PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracker (DBC -1.9%)
- Alongside the commodity slump, both this year and this session, is a stronger dollar, set to close 2014 out at its highest level in at least five years.
- ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, UCI, FTGC, CMD, DYY, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, COMT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, PDBC, CSCR
Dec. 22, 2014, 11:47 AM
- There's not much happening with the equity averages, but crude oil is back on the move, down 3% to $55.40 per barrel. USO -4.75%. Gold's slipping as well, off 1.1% to $1,182 per ounce.
- Looking more broadly, the Bloomberg Commodities Index has returned to a level not seen since May 2009. Coffee owners, however, are in high cotton - up 57.5% YTD. I's the best asset market investment of 2014, beating out #2 - the Shanghai Composite - by more than 1.4K basis points.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, UCI, FTGC, CMD, DYY, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, COMT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, PDBC, CSCR
Oct. 6, 2014, 3:49 PM
- Going higher without fail on nearly a daily basis since Memorial Day, the dollar (UUP -1.2%) is selling off hard today, likely helping to light up the commodity sector (DBC +1.4%) bright green.
- Among individual currencies, the euro (FXE +1.2%), loonie (FXC +1.2%), aussie (FXA +1.3%), swissie (FXF +0.7%), pound (FXB +0.5%), and yen (FXY +1.1%) are all posting sizable gains.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UDN, FORX, UUPT, UDNT, USDU
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, FTGC, UCI, DYY, CMD, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, CSCR
Sep. 30, 2014, 12:07 PM
- The early decline in WTI crude oil has accelerated sharply over the past few minutes, and it's now off 3.5% to $91.25 per barrel, about inline with the lowest pricing seen this year. USO -2.9%
- Moving alongside is heating oil (UHN -1.1%) and gasoline (UGA -3.1%).
- Broad energy ETFs: DBE, RJN, JJE, ONG, RGRE, UBN
- Checking other commodities: Silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) is down 3.4%, Copper (NYSEARCA:JJC) is lower by 1.3%, and Wheat (NYSEARCA:WEAT) is off 1.8%.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, FTGC, DEE, UCI, DYY, CMD, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, SBV, DPU, CSCB, CSCR
Jun. 20, 2013, 3:17 AM
While the dollar rises following the FOMC's various statements and comments yesterday, commodities (DBC) sell off, with gold -3.3% (GLD) to 1,328.85 per ounce, well below the key support level of $1,349. Silver (SLV) -4.3%, Oil -1.8% (USO), copper -1.6% - also dragged down by the poor Chinese PMI print - palladium -1.6% and natural gas (GAZ) -0.8%.| Jun. 20, 2013, 3:17 AM | 8 Comments
Jun. 7, 2013, 4:28 PM
May 1, 2013, 10:41 AMCommodities are lit up bright red as weak economic data (here and in China) is a good excuse to end the bounce of the last few sessions. Gold (GLD -1.8%), Silver (SLV -3.6%), WTI Crude (USO -2.6%). Copper (JJC -3.3%) moves to its lowest level in about 18 months at $3.08/lb. The metal hasn't had a 2-handle since the start of 2011. Broad commodity gauge (DBC -1.8%). | May 1, 2013, 10:41 AM | 5 Comments
Apr. 15, 2013, 10:02 AMUnderperforming today as commodities (DBC -1.7%) take a beating is Canada, the TSX -1.5%. Also seeing little love is the loonie (FXC -0.6%). The move in the MSCI Canada Index ETF (EWC -2.4%) reflects both the loss in shares and the currency. EWC is now off 5% YTD, trailing the S&P 500 by 1500 basis points. | Apr. 15, 2013, 10:02 AM
Apr. 15, 2013, 5:03 AM
Mining stocks are taking a bit of a hiding following China's slowing GDP growth and the sell-off in precious metals. Rio Tinto (RIO) -4.5% premarket, BHP Billiton (BHP) -3.6%, Barrick Gold (ABX) -3.6%, AngloGold (AU) -5.2%, IAMGold (IAG) -1.2%, Gold Fields (GFI) -5%, Goldcorp (GG) -3.9%, Kinross (KGC) -5.1%, Seabridge Gold (SA) -2.8%, Newmont Mining (NEM) -3.4%, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold (FCX) -2.85% and Anglo American (AAUKF.PK) -3.9% in London. NovaGold (NG) fell 13% on Friday.| Apr. 15, 2013, 5:03 AM | 3 Comments
Apr. 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
A slide in commodity prices turns into a rout: GLD -3.2%, SLV -4.2%, USO -3%, Copper (JJC) -2.2%. At $1,506/oz., gold is threatening a $1,400 handle for the first time in nearly 2 years. After an early bounce, stocks move to session lows, the S&P 500 -0.7%. The long bond gains three-quarters of a full point, its yield down to a 2013 low of 2.93%. Update at 11:05: Now off 4.3%, gold slips below $1,500.| Apr. 12, 2013, 10:52 AM | 54 Comments
See more details on sponsor's website