SA News • May. 30, 2014
SA PRO: Top Long And Short Ideas, Friday February 21SA PRO Top Ideas • Feb. 22, 2014
SA Pro: Top Long And Short Ideas, Thursday August 29SA PRO Top Ideas • Aug. 30, 2013
May. 30, 2014, 10:27 AM
- Consumers are rapidly adapting to purchasing movies through digital channels, according to NPD.
- The growth rate for the electronic sell-through of movies is triple of that for TV EST.
- The exclusive early release window for some digital titles appears to be helping to boost demand and awareness.
- The trend is encouraging for studios (DIS, LGF, SNE, VIAB, TWX, FOXA, VIA, CMCSA) looking to capture some of the lost revenue from the lower demand for DVDs.
- Movie theater operators (CKEC, CNK, RGC, MCS, RDI, AMC, DCIN) might look at the development differently with their revenue share mix tilted higher the longer movies stay in a theater.
May. 17, 2014, 10:20 AM
- Godzilla smashed estimates for its opening day with an estimated box office haul of over $38M.
- The weekend forecast is now for a $98M take vs. $65M-$75M prior and a total gross of $136M for the flimsy 1998 Matthew Broderick Godzilla.
- Media analysts note Warner Bros. (TWX) and Legendary Pictures delivered a near-perfect marketing message which teased movie-goers without saturating them to the point of boredom.
- A CinemaScore of B+ indicates Godzilla might stay on its legs for a while in the U.S. and easily eclipse The Lego Movie (also Warner Bros.) for the top U.S. gross of 2014.
- Early indications are that a high mix of moviegoers are paying up to see the film in the IMAX (IMAX) 3D format.
- What to watch: Theater operators (CKEC, CNK, RGC, MCS, RDI, AMC, DCIN) will get a definite boost with the strong weekend traffic, while Time Warner's Q2 just got a little more exhilarating through the giant lizard's exploits.
May. 16, 2014, 9:17 AM
May. 4, 2014, 10:05 AM
- DreamWorks Animation (DWA) CEO Jeffery Katzenberg fired out a warning to the movie industry during his talk at the Milliken Global Conference in Beverly Hills last week.
- “Movies are not a growth business,” exclaimed the exec who cut his teeth on the medium.
- Katzenberg sees a future where movies play for a short period of three weeks at theaters for $15.00 - followed by a run on TV at $4.99 and smartphones at $1.99. The forecast doesn't bode well for theater operators and associated businesses.
- DreamWorks plans increasing its focus on shortform (digital and TV) in response.
- Liberty Media (LMCA) CEO Greg Maffei also cautioned at the conference of a seismic change in the media industry as "clutter" from video games and social media crowds out traditional entertainment channels.
- Movie studio stocks: DIS, LGF, SNE, VIAB, TWX, FOXA, VIA, CMCSA
- Movie exhibitor/equipment stocks: CKEC, CNK, RGC, MCS, RDI, AMC, IMAX, DCIN
- Related ETF: PBS
Apr. 21, 2014, 1:08 PM
- Movie ticket prices fell 4.7% to an average of $7.96 a ticket in Q1, according data release by the National Association of Theater Owners.
- The decline came with the quarter on the light side of 3D titles.
- Last year, ticket prices rose 2.1% to $8.13.
- Related stocks: CKEC, CNK, AMC, RGC, MCS, IMAX, RLD, DCIN
Mar. 26, 2014, 7:07 AM
- Global box office sales rose 4% in 2013 to $35.9B.
- China accounted for a good portion of the gain with sales rising 27% to $3.6B.
- Box office growth in the U.S. was more tepid at 1%. Movie studios (DIS, LGF, SNE, VIAB, TWX, FOXA, VIA, CMCSA) increasingly relied on tentpole releases in the U.S. as the number of titles topping the $100M mark domestically went up to 35 from 31.
- Related stocks: AMC, CKEC, CNK, RGC, MCS, RDI, AMC, IMAX, DCIN.
Feb. 3, 2014, 4:04 PM
- Morgan Stanley forecasts 3D movie attendance is declining.
- The outlook is troubling for theater operators with increases in ticket prices being offset by lower sales of 3D movies.
- Overall, the number of 3D movies will fall to 28 from 34 a year ago to account for the format's lowest percentage of total movie showings for the last seven years.
- Also hitting operators' bottom lines, moviegoers are expected to increase per visit spending by only 0.5% in Q1.
- Related stocks: CKEC, CNK, RGC, MCS, RDI, AMC, IMAX, DCIN.
Sep. 17, 2013, 4:26 PM| Comment!
Jul. 9, 2013, 10:31 AMWhen George Lucas and Steven Spielberg talked of the coming "giant upheaval" in film distribution a few weeks ago is it possible their vision included a positive future for an upstart such as Digital Cinema Destinations (DCIN +2%)? The small-cap firm continues to tap into the trend of converting movie theaters into digital entertainment centers and appears to be picking up steam with new deals including an IMAX partnership. Profits look to be far down the road, but if Lucas is right about $100-$150 movie tickets in the future - Digital Cinema could be in the front row. (Analyst coverage: Barrington Research initiates DCIN at Outperform with a $10 PT.) | 1 Comment
May. 15, 2013, 6:55 AM
Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.
Other News & PR