Thu, Mar. 31, 5:40 PM
Nov. 11, 2015, 10:27 AM
- Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY) and Delhaize (DEG +3.2%) both trade higher with the merger of the two grocery companies still on track to occur in the middle of 2016.
- Management of Ahold confirmed the merger status along with Q3 earnings which came in ahead of consensus estimates. Results in the Netherlands and the U.S. were solid.
- Ahold Q3 results and presentation (.pdf)
Jun. 24, 2015, 9:13 AM
Jun. 3, 2015, 10:34 AM
- Delhaize (DEG +5.6%) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +4.1%) are working toward reaching a deal on a merger by the end of the month, according to Bloomberg.
- A combination could lead to annual cost savings of €300M ($337.6M) to €700M ($787.8M), estimate inside sources.
- Shares of both grocery chain stocks rose in European trading to be followed by similar action with the U.S. ADRs.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May. 12 2015)
- Previously: Talk picks up over grocery chain consolidation (May. 14 2015)
May 11, 2015, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
May 11, 2015, 6:20 AM
- Royal Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY) and Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) surged in early European trading after weekend reports that the Dutch and Belgian retailers are in talks to merge, a deal that would pool U.S. chains Stop & Shop and Food Lion.
- Delhaize soared as much as 18%, valuing the company at €8.8B ($9.8B), while Ahold advanced as much as 10% for a valuation of €17B.
- Talks between the companies are at a preliminary stage, Belgian newspapers De Tijd and L'Echo reported on Saturday.
Apr. 29, 2015, 2:24 PM
- Delhaize (DEG -7.3%) trades lower after report negative comparable-store sales growth in Belgium and Southeast Europe.
- The comp in the U.S. was positive at 2.5%.
- Operating margin by region: U.S. 3.8%, Belgium 1.4%, Southeast Europe 2.3%.
- The company is rolling out its Easy, Fresh & Affordable program at another 160 Food Lion stores this year.
- Previously: Delhaize reports Q1 results
- Delhaize earnings release (.pdf)
Mar. 5, 2015, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Mar. 5, 2015, 8:44 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) reports sales in the U.S. rose 12.1% to $4.67B on a positive real sales growth from the Food Lion and Hannaford chains.
- The U.S. comp grew 3.6% during the quarter.
- Sales in Belgium declined 6% and the comp in the region fell 6.9%
- Sales in Southeastern Europe grew 4% while comp contracted 2.2%.
- Total organic revenue +1.3%
- Gross margin rate declined 24 bps to 23.9%.
- Store count +66 Y/Y to 3,468.
- DEG +3.66% premarket.
- Q4 results
Jan. 26, 2015, 10:17 AM
- Delhaize (DEG +6.2%) reports sales in the U.S. rose 12% to $4.7B on a solid performance from the Food Lion and Hannaford chains.
- A 3.6% comp in the U.S. helped to offset Delhaize's negative comps in Belgium and Southeastern Europe.
- The company's U.S. results were boosted by an additional week for the reporting period compared to a year ago.
Mar. 31, 2014, 7:11 AM
- JPMorgan upgrades Delhaize Group (DEG) to an Overweight rating from Neutral.
- DEG +2.4% premarket
Mar. 13, 2014, 9:17 AM
Feb. 18, 2014, 9:27 AM
Jan. 23, 2014, 9:12 AM| Jan. 23, 2014, 9:12 AM
Jan. 23, 2014, 7:37 AM| Jan. 23, 2014, 7:37 AM
Dec. 5, 2013, 1:35 PM
- A disappointing pace of sales growth from Kroger (KR -1.9%) has fouled the mood on the grocery store sector a bit.
- The company didn't raise its outlook for FY13 EPS as analysts had expected. A miss by the typically-steady Kroger has analysts resetting expectations for the group.
- Decliners: Safeway (SWY) -3.3%, Delhaize Group (DEG) -1.2%, Ingles Markets (IMKTA) -2.4%, Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) -1.4%, Whole Foods Market (WFM) -0.9%.
Delhaize Group SA owns and operates food supermarkets, convenience, and hypermarket stores. It engages in the retail and wholesale distribution of food products, health and beauty products, pet food and accessories. It operates in the following geographic segments: United States, Belgium,... More
Industry: Grocery Stores
Other News & PR