Dean Foods Is Slowly Inching Higher From Better Dynamics
Alpha Gen Capital
Alpha Gen Capital
Aug. 12, 2014, 7:48 AM
- Credit Suisse upgrades Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) to an Outperform rating from Neutral on a valuation call.
- The investment firm thinks the negative outlook on the dairy commodity market is already priced into Dean Foods at current levels.
- Yesterday on Dean Foods: Q2 earnings, conference call
- DF +0.7% premarket
Aug. 11, 2014, 3:41 PM
- Execs with Dean Foods (DF -3.9%) made it perfectly clear during the firm's earnings call that the company doesn't have an easy way to recoup spiraling raw cost milk costs.
- CFO Chris Bellairs talked about the "thin margin" of error the business operates under where a penny per gallon cost hike translates to $1.5M worth of operating income.
- Bellairs is "confident" that Dean Foods will hits its Q3 guidance after the range was stretched out a bit.
- Earnings call transcript
Aug. 11, 2014, 9:16 AM
Aug. 11, 2014, 8:22 AM
- Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) reports a slide in profit in Q2 amid what it calls the "most difficult" operating environment in the company's history.
- Though Dean Foods picked up 20 bps of market share to 35.9%, overall milk volume was down.
- Due to the tough outlook on the dairy commodity market, Dean Foods lowers Q3 EPS guidance dramatically to -$0.05 to -$0.15 vs. $0.26 consensus.
- DF is getting punished in premarket trading, down 9.9%.
Aug. 11, 2014, 8:01 AM
- Dean Foods (NYSE:DF): Q2 EPS of -$0.14 misses by $0.08.
- Revenue of $2.39B (+7.2% Y/Y) beats by $70M.
Aug. 10, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 11, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jun. 23, 2014, 6:15 PM
- The WSJ reports criminal authorities have subpoenaed Dean Foods (DF) over an insider trading probe that covers Carl Icahn, Phil Mickelson, and sports bettor William T. Walters.
- Investigators are reportedly probing whether Walters provided tips related to Dean Foods to Mickelson. They're also probing whether Icahn tipped Walters about planned trading in Clorox.
- Both the FBI and SEC are said to be involved.
- DF -7.4% AH.
Jun. 12, 2014, 1:36 PM| Jun. 12, 2014, 1:36 PM
May 31, 2014, 12:02 AM
- The FBI and SEC are pursuing a major insider trading probe involving investor Carl Icahn, golfer Phil Mickelson and Las Vegas gambler Billy Walters, according to multiple reports.
- Investigators reportedly are examining whether Icahn (IEP) passed non-public tips on investments he was planning to make to Walters, and whether Walters then tipped Mickelson.
- The government investigation is said to have begun after Icahn accumulated a 9% stake in Clorox (CLX) in Feb. 2011; Icahn made a $10.2B bid for CLX in July, and large, risky trades made in CLX options in the days before the bid sparked rumors that word had leaked.
- Authorities also are looking into trades Mickelson and Walters made related to Dean Foods (DF).
May 29, 2014, 10:03 AM
- Shares of WhiteWave Foods (WWAV +4.6%), Dean Foods (DF +1.3%), and Sanderson Farms (SAFM +2.7%) are higher after Tyson Foods tops the bid of Pilgrim's Pride for Hillshire Brands.
- Though consolidation in the food sector is expected to pick up, some analysts warn the takeover premium in select stocks is getting played out.
May 23, 2014, 11:05 AM
- Wells Fargo analyst John Baumgartner forecasts a continued drop in milk prices after seeing Class I milk peak earlier in the month.
- The news could be a relief for a number of companies (DF, WWAV, SJM, DF, NSRGY, LWAY, DNKN, MCD, SBUX, GIS, HSY, MJN, ADY) which have faced margin pressure over the escalated cost of wholesale milk products.
- Milk price chart
- Related ETF: MOO
May 15, 2014, 6:33 PM
- Dean Foods Company (DF) declares $0.07/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.83%
- Payable June 5; for shareholders of record May 27; ex-div May 22.
May 8, 2014, 10:12 AM
May 8, 2014, 8:03 AM
- Dean Foods (DF): Q1 EPS of -$0.05 misses by $0.06.
- Revenue of $2.34B (+2.2% Y/Y) beats by $70M.
- Shares -7.1% PM.
May 7, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AEE, AES, AGO, AMCX, AMED, AMRC, APA, APO, BBEP, BCRX, BDBD, BITA, BPI, CAJ, CBB, CCC, CCOI, CDW, CECE, CECO, CRIS, CRNT, CSTE, CVC, DF, DISH, DNDN, FLY, FSYS, FUN, FXCM, GBDC, GLP, GOLD, GTN, GTXI, HCN, HII, HIMX, HSC, ICE, IRC, JASO, KEM, KERX, LIOX, LNCE, LPI, LPX, LQDT, LXP, LXRX, MGA, MMS, MNK, MPEL, NICE, NPSP, NXST, NXTM, ONE, PCLN, PCP, PKD, POZN, PRFT, REGN, RGEN, RSTI, SKYW, SNI, SPH, SRPT, STE, SUNE, TDC, THS, VC, VITC, VNDA, VRX, WAC, WD, WEN, WIN, WMC, WWAV.
Dean Foods Co. engages in the provision of food and beverages. It involves in the manufacture, sale, and direct-to-store distribution of fluid milk and other dairy, and dairy case products in the United States. Its products include a range of branded and private label dairy case products such as... More
Sector: Consumer Goods
Industry: Dairy Products
Country: United States
Other News & PR