Alpha Gen Capital
Tue, May 10, 6:10 PM
- Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) closed with a slight loss in today's trade even after easily beating Q1 earnings expectations, issuing solid Q2 guidance and purchasing Friendly's Ice Cream for $155M.
- DF expects Friendly’s to immediately add to earnings and margins; DF is buying only the manufacturing and retail ice cream business, which generated $166M in annual net sales and posts low double-digit growth in both volume and net sales, while P-E firm Sun Capital Partners will continue to own and operate the chain’s 260 U.S. restaurant locations and will license the use of the Friendly’s trademark.
- But Athlos Research's Jonathan Feeney warns that declining demand for milk remains a major problem for DF, and believes the recent addition of competitor capacity by Wal-Mart amid flat retail milk demand is ominous for DF’s capacity reduction plans, especially when prices rise.
May 29, 2014, 10:03 AM
- Shares of WhiteWave Foods (WWAV +4.6%), Dean Foods (DF +1.3%), and Sanderson Farms (SAFM +2.7%) are higher after Tyson Foods tops the bid of Pilgrim's Pride for Hillshire Brands.
- Though consolidation in the food sector is expected to pick up, some analysts warn the takeover premium in select stocks is getting played out.
May 23, 2013, 7:05 PM
WhiteWave (WWAV) announces the completion of its spinoff from Dean Foods (DF). In addition, its board has authorized a $150M share repurchase program. The primary purpose of the program will be to offset dilution from WhiteWave’s equity compensation plans, but the company reserves the option to make discretionary, opportunistic purchases as well. WWAV +0.7%, DF +0.3% AH.| May 23, 2013, 7:05 PM
May 17, 2013, 3:03 PMKeep an eye on Dean Foods (DF +1%). Though the food company could see some choppy trading next week after it was dumped from the S&P 500, dealReporter notes there's plenty of M&A speculation around the name to keep shares perky. A market cap below $4B raises the possibility that a larger company could see DF as a bolt-on acquisition. | May 17, 2013, 3:03 PM
Feb. 14, 2013, 8:04 AM
Dec. 3, 2012, 8:38 AM
Dean Foods (DF) announces it sold its Morningstar Foods division to Saputo for $1.45B. After netting out taxes and expenses, the company expects to realize $887M in proceeds which will all go toward retiring outstanding debt. DF +6% premarket.| Dec. 3, 2012, 8:38 AM
Aug. 17, 2011, 9:51 AM
Macro troubles in the U.S. and Europe aren't scaring off private equity funds from making new deals: TheCityUK expects PE firms to invest over $200B globally this year, up 11% from 2010. Over the last month, companies such as DF, TLB, IR, RBS, ALU, and BCS have been linked to private equity deals.| Aug. 17, 2011, 9:51 AM
Aug. 15, 2011, 11:09 AM
Dean Foods (DF +2.7%) trades higher after announcing the sale of its Wisconsin-based dairy processing plant as well as its Golden Guernsey and La Vaca Bonita brands to private equity firm OpenGate Capital.| Aug. 15, 2011, 11:09 AM