The Specialist • Sun, Nov. 23
Be smarter and faster with PRO Alerts on DLTR
From other sites
at Zacks.com (Tue, 4:53PM)
at CNBC.com (Tue, 12:05PM)
at Zacks.com (Fri, 2:05PM)
at Zacks.com (Nov 21, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Nov 21, 2014)
at Fox Business (Nov 20, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Nov 20, 2014)
at Nasdaq.com (Nov 20, 2014)
at Zacks.com (Nov 20, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Nov 20, 2014)
- DLTR reported fiscal third quarter results.
- The results increased my confidence in DLTR, especially in Canada.
- I anticipated great results and got them.
Dollar Tree's Shares Are Rallying Following Its Q3 Earnings Beat, Is Now The Time To Consider It?
- Q3 earnings were released on the morning of November 20.
- The results exceeded expectations.
- Comparable-store sales increased 5.9%.
- The stock has reacted by moving higher.
The 5 Most Important Things To Watch For In Dollar Tree's Q3 Earnings ReportJoey Solitro • Sun, Nov. 16
- Reported mixed Q2 results on August 21.
- Q3 earnings will be announced on November 20.
- Analysts currently anticipate significant growth on both the top and bottom lines.
- The stock has returned 10% year-to-date.
- Dollar Tree's differentiated business model will prove to be lucrative if the company merges with Family Dollar or if it does not.
- Dollar Tree's operating and profit margins beat out both its dollar store competitors and a majority of other retailers.
- There are inherent problems with a Dollar General-Family Dollar merger that will prevent Dollar Tree from being overpowered in the dollar store market.
One More Reason You Should Consider Dollar Tree (Hint: Forget Family Dollar Stores)The Specialist • Fri, Oct. 3
- Dollar Tree Canada charges $1.25 or $1.11 In American dollars.
- This shows higher price points may work across the entire chain.
- I see less risk and more opportunity.
Outperforming Competitors Is One Of Many Factors To Earn Dollar Tree A Bullish ThesisEquity Watch • Mon, Sep. 8
- Sales growth measures and efforts to address competition are increasing customer traffic and growing top-line numbers.
- Cost pressures due to competitive pricing and high freight charges remain concerns.
- Successful acquisition of FDO will strengthen the company’s positions and fuel EPS growth.
- Dollar General and Family Dollar are too similar with too many overlapping stores in certain geographies.
- Family Dollar has been trying to get partially more back into the dollar business. Dollar Tree is its chance.
- Dollar Tree has been wanting to get above the $1 limit using a different brand. Family Dollar is its chance.
Here's Why Dollar Tree Should Emerge Stronger After This Acquisition BattleRenu Singh • Wed, Aug. 27
- Dollar Tree's acquisition of Family Dollar looks likely after the latter rejected a bid from Dollar General.
- Dollar Tree is already delivering good growth and is executing smart strategies to propel same-store sales, even though its last quarter's results suffered due to acquisition costs.
- Dollar Tree's bottom line is expected to increase at a good pace in the next five years, and the Family Dollar acquisition should amplify its growth.
- Dollar Tree reported revenue that exceeded expectations for the quarter, but profits that fell shy of what analysts anticipated.
- This data confirms my earlier opinion that the retailer, while possessing potential, won't be able to grow on the top and bottom line as quickly as expected without acquisitions.
- This evidence was anticipated in my previous article suggesting what analysts expected for the quarter and the potential of Dollar Tree's bid for Family Dollar.
Earnings Preview: Will Dollar Tree Show The Growth It Needs?
- Analysts currently have pretty high expectations for Dollar Tree... but are these expectations too high?
- In order to grow faster in the future, management has agreed to acquire Family Dollar which, while generating more sales, will give the business the sale/square foot growth it needs.
- Despite all if its positive notes, however, Dollar General appears to offer some attractive prospects as well.
- Consumables are helping the dollar stores.
- Can wine and beer help Family Dollar?
- Dollar Tree may be picking up Family Dollar at the perfect time.
Family Dollar/Dollar Tree Combination Still Too Small To Survive
- Dollar Tree’s Family Dollar acquisition shows the desperate situation dollar store operators are in.
- Dollar store operators like Dollar General may have too narrow a focus to survive in a retail landscape dominated by Amazon.com.
- Online retailers are a growing threat to dollar store operators because they can match their prices and provide greater convenience to shoppers.
- The combined market caps of Family Dollar and Dollar Tree indicate the new merged entity would still lack the resources to compete with Amazon.com, Wal-Mart, Costco, Walgreen or CVS Caremark.
- A comparison of revenues indicates that Family Dollar–Dollar Tree and Dollar General have an outdated business model that might not survive in today’s brutal retail environment.
Dollar Tree Is Shining Brighter After Its Latest Deal
- Dollar Tree has continued to post growth in 2014.
- Dollar Tree swung for the fences with its deal to acquire the larger Family Dollar Stores.
- The deal improves Dollar Tree's industry position and provides a runway for future profit growth.
The Case That Our Investment Dollars Will Be Treated Well In Dollar Tree Stock
- Dollar Tree has been a very successful company that has grown both by growth and acquisition.
- It has announced a transformational deal, a merger with/acquisition of Family Dollar.
- I view this deal as promising, especially in view of the two year consolidation in DLTR that has brought its P/E down from its 2012 peak.
Dollar Tree's Acquisition Of Family Dollar: Limited Upside, Integration And Leverage Risks Remain
- Dollar Tree reaches out as prominent investors urged Family Dollar to sell itself.
- The deal creates the largest dollar store chain in the US.
- Yet the valuation is a bit full, while there are some integration challenges and leverage concerns.
Dollar Tree To Acquire Family Dollar: Transaction Overview
- Dollar Tree announced plans to acquire Family Dollar in a cash/stock transaction for $74.50 per share.
- This merger would create a company with over 13,000 stores and $18 billion in sales.
- Strong synergies will allow the two to compete in a depressed spending atmosphere.
- This morning Dollar Tree announced its plans to acquire Family Dollar.
- The deal values Family Dollar at a 22% premium to yesterday's prices.
- Family Dollar's recent same store sales decline and declining gross margins signal weakness in the business.
- Dollar Tree has increased same store sales each year since 2009.
- The deal will place a large debt burden on Dollar Tree.
Dollar Stores: An Important Addition To A Risk-Adverse Portfolio
- There are concerns that the U.S. stock market is overvalued and due for a correction.
- Smart investors will find safe investments that can withstand or even perform well during times of economic and political uncertainty.
- Dollar stores tend to do better when there is an economic slump and their stock prices reflect this.
Thu, Nov. 20, 7:59 AM| Comment!
Thu, Nov. 20, 7:35 AM
Wed, Nov. 19, 5:30 PM
Wed, Nov. 19, 12:38 PM
- Family Dollar (FDO -1.1%) pushes back the date that shareholders will vote on the proposed merger with Dollar Tree (DLTR +0.2%) to December 23.
- The company expects to have an update by the end of the first week in December on a FTC review of the combination.
- The development doesn't give Dollar General (DG -3.5%) much time to decide if it will raise its offer for Family Dollar amid reports more stores than anticipated will need to be divested to clear regulatory hurdles.
- Previously: FTC may require Dollar General to divest 4K+ stores
Wed, Nov. 19, 5:13 AM
- Dollar General (NYSE:DG) may have to divest more than 4,000 stores, more than double the 1,500 stores it said it was willing to sell, if it wants to gain regulatory approval to buy Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO), reports The New York Post.
- Getting the FTC to change its mind could take months, but rival Dollar Tree (NASDAQ:DLTR) wants a vote on its proposed Family Dollar merger by Dec. 31.
- Without the time to explain its case to the FTC, Dollar General could be forced to either raise its bid or live with the added number of divestitures.
- DG -1.8% premarket
Fri, Oct. 31, 2:51 PM
- Dollar General (DG +0.2%) extends its tender offer for shares of Family Dollar (FDO +0.4%) until December 31.
- The original tender expired today with only a small portion of FDO shares ending up in the hands of Dollar General.
- The extension pushes the decision for Family Dollar shareholders past a special meeting set for December 11 to vote on the lower Dollar Tree (DLTR +1.7%) acquisition offer.
- FDO trades at $78.15 vs. the $74.50 DLTR offer and $80.00 DG bid.
Tue, Oct. 28, 11:32 AM
- Redbook notes the timing of Halloween on a Friday is giving a boost to merchandise sales related to the holiday as more consumers prep for parties and celebrations.
- Both Redbook and ICSC's weekly read on retail store sales showed year-over-year improvement with Halloween sales a factor.
- Stores have also been extending their hours to draw in more shoppers.
- Looking for a Halloween boost: DLTR, DG, FDO, KR, SVU, SWY, WMT, TGT, HSY, KRFT, CVS, RAD, WAG, MDLZ.
Fri, Oct. 17, 4:25 PM
- Elliott Management, a veteran of many activist campaigns, says it has a 4.9% stake in Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO), and (in an open letter) urges management to provide Dollar General (NYSE:DG) with "an even playing field in its continuing efforts to acquire the Company at price levels that are clearly superior" to that provided by FDO's current deal with Dollar Tree (NASDAQ:DLTR).
- Elliott asserts FDO was "in a position earlier this year to facilitate a bidding war between two large, well-capitalized strategic acquirers, " and that its board "could have and should have engaged with Dollar General in order to gain a better understanding of their pricing architecture in aid of a more comprehensive anti-trust analysis."
- Proxy war: Elliott has nominated 7 directors to FDO's board to "preserve our ability to seek to elect directors at the 2015 Annual Meeting who are both qualified and committed to achieving a value maximizing outcome for shareholders."
- Though Dollar General is offering $600M more for Family Dollar than Dollar Tree, regulatory scrutiny of its bid is already intense: The FTC sent a second request for info last week.
- FDO +1% AH. DG +0.5%. DLTR -0.5%.
Fri, Oct. 17, 7:29 AM| Comment!
Wed, Oct. 15, 12:58 PM
- Top Wal-Mart (WMT -2.3%) U.S. exec Greg Folan announced the company will open between 180 and 200 Neighborhood Markets stores during its next fiscal year.
- The expansion plan for the concept is smaller than the forecast for 270 to 300 NM stores to be opened this fiscal year.
- Neighborhood Markets has had a stronger impact on the dollar store group (FDO, DG, DLTR) than grocery stores so far, according to analysts.
- Highlights from Wal-Mart's investor day
- Wal-Mart investor meeting webcast
Fri, Oct. 10, 5:31 PM
- The FTC has issued a second request for additional info to Dollar General (NYSE:DG) regarding its $9.1B buyout offer for Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO). State AGs have already been probing the bid on antitrust grounds.
- DG -1.2% AH. For now, Family Dollar continues supporting Dollar Tree's (NASDAQ:DLTR) $8.5B offer.
Mon, Sep. 29, 2:50 PM
- Deutsche Bank thinks Dollar Tree (DLTR +0.6%) and Dollar General (DG -0.3%) could be prepping to make fresh bids for Family Dollar Stores (FDO).
- The investment firm is sticking with its Buy rating on FDO amid the potential for new action.
- What to watch: State AGs are reportedly looking at bids from Dollar General and Dollar Tree for FDO. It's possible the new offers from the discounters could involve a plan to divest more stores in front of the merger to appease regulators.
Tue, Sep. 23, 8:10 AM
- Halloween spending by consumers in the U.S. is expected to rise to $11.3B this year, according to an estimate from ICSC.
- Discount stores (DG, DLTR, FDO) and grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, WMT, TGT) are expected to keep a lion's share of the costume spend with shoppers indicating price and the ability to touch costumes as the biggest factors in deciding where to shop.
- Halloween is one of the few calendar events where online has stayed more of a bit player with only an estimated 7% share of purchases.
Wed, Sep. 17, 9:07 AM
- Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO) recommends shareholders pass on the tender offer of Dollar General (NYSE:DG) as it continues to throw its support behind a merger with Dollar Tree (NASDAQ:DLTR) which it sees as more likely to clear regulatory hurdles.
- The company maintains the $80-per-share offer from Dollar General is "highly conditional" and illusory in nature.
Fri, Sep. 12, 2:02 PM
- Wal-Mart (WMT -0.5%) plans to rebrand all of its Express stores to Neighborhood Market in a move that signals a stronger push into grocery.
- The new strategy means that Neighborhood Market stores will range in size from 15K to 40K square feet.
- The company is still testing the smaller Walmart To Go and Walmart On Campus concepts.
- What to watch: Though there's plenty of retail chains which could be impacted by Wal-Mart's NM push, Gilford Securities reasons that dollar stores (FDO, DLTR, DG) and drugstores (RAD, CVS, WAG) top the list.
Wed, Sep. 10, 10:50 AM
- Though management at Family Dollar (FDO -0.2%) is nervous about the regulatory risk of merging with Dollar General (DG), institutional and retail investors are likely to focus more on the higher per-share offer offered by Dollar General than Dollar Tree (DLTR -0.1%), say analysts.
- Ready for action: Dollar General says it has buyout funding commitments from Goldman Sachs and Citigroup in its back pocket. The company's tender offer expires on October 8.
- Still in the mix: Dollar Tree could still match the Dollar General offer, although Edward Jones notes the company lacks the firepower of its discounter rival and is a good bet to stand pat.
- Previous: Wal-Mart the wildcard in battle for Family Dollar.
DLTR vs. ETF Alternatives
Dollar Tree Stores, Inc., operates discount variety stores in United States and Canada. Its stores offer merchandise at fixed price of $1.00 and C$1.25. The company operates stores under the names of Dollar Tree, Deal$, Dollar Tree Canada, etc.
Other News & PR