Demand Media: Attractive Valuation Marred By Lack Of Strategic Coherence
Terrier Investing • 11 Comments
Terrier Investing • 11 Comments
Demand Media: Too Cheap To Ignore
Fri, Sep. 16, 1:38 PM
- Demand Media (DMD +2.3%) has bought The Other Art Fair, a UK fair dedicated to discovering emerging artists.
- That adds to Demand Media's existing (and higher-profile) online art marketplace, Saatchi Art.
- The move will let buyers purchase art from emerging artists both through Saatchi Art's online gallery and offline through other events.
- The company says The Other Art Fair has grown 327% in on-site attendance since a 2011 launch, and an October event in London is expected to host 15,000.
- The online art market hit $3.27B in sales last year (up 24%), according to Hiscox.
Thu, Aug. 4, 4:40 PM
Wed, Aug. 3, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ABTL, ACAD, ACHN, ACXM, AHS, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALNY, AMBR, AMH, AMRS, ANET, ASYS, ATRC, ATVI, BBG, BLDR, BMRN, BRS, CARA, CBPO, CERS, CINR, CPSI, CPST, CSOD, CTRL, CYTX, DCO, DCT, DMD, EBS, ECOM, ECPG, ECYT, ED, EFC, EGOV, EOG, ESL, EVDY, EVH, FCE.A, FEYE, FFG, FLDM, FLR, FLT, FPRX, FRPT, FRT, FTD, GCAP, GDOT, GEOS, GSAT, GSBD, GST, GTY, GXP, HDP, HE, HTGC, ICON, IILG, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, INGN, IRWD, IVR, JMBA, JUNO, KHC, KMPR, KND, KTOS, KW, LADR, LBTYA, LGF, LNKD, LOCO, LOPE, MACK, MDRX, MELI, MHK, MHLD, MITT, MMI, MNST, MNTX, MRIN, MSI, MTX, MTZ, NAVG, NDLS, NFG, NNI, NOG, NUS, OEC, OLED, OREX, OUT, OVAS, PACB, PCLN, PDLI, PETX, PFMT, PGRE, PKI, POST, PRSS, PSIX, PTCT, RATE, REGI, RMAX, RPTP, RRMS, RTRX, RVNC, SEM, SEMG, SHOR, SMCI, SPXC, SSNI, SWIR, SYMC, SYRG, TASR, TCRD, TEAM, TRMR, TRUE, TSRO, TTWO, TWOU, TXMD, UBNT, UEIC, VVUS, WAIR, WEB, WIFI, WING, WTI, WTS, WTW, ZG, ZNGA
Mon, May 9, 4:14 PM
- Demand Media (NYSE:DMD): Q1 EPS of -$0.29 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $27M (-18.7% Y/Y) misses by $1.74M.
Sun, May 8, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, AMPH, APEI, ARNA, ASEI, BKD, CDXS, CUI, CVG, DCO, DMD, DNB, DPLO, DTSI, ELGX, FENG, FRGI, GLOB, GSBD, HALO, HK, HTZ, IFF, INGN, INVN, INWK, IRWD, IVR, JPEP, JUNO, KEG, KITE, LBTYA, LC, LOPE, LSCC, MBI, MODN, MXL, NLS, NOG, NVGS, NVRO, OAS, OPK, OPWR, PEN, PINC, PLOW, PRAA, PSIX, RARE, RAX, RBC, REN, RVNC, SCTY, SEDG, SEMI, SF, SNHY, SREV, SSNI, STMP, TCX, TMH, TTEC, TTGT, TUBE, VTL, VVC
Tue, Apr. 12, 4:18 PM
- News company E.W. Scripps (SSP +1.5%) has acquired youth-focused satire publisher Cracked from Demand Media (DMD +0.8%).
- Scripps is paying $39M in cash. It notes Cracked has a strong youth following, particularly affluent millennial males, and that 50% of its audience goes straight to the site and spends an average of eight minutes on text and video.
- Cracked turned a profit in 2015 on revenue of about $11M. For its part, Demand Media (which acquired Cracked in 2007) says the sale will let it further enhance product quality with a more focused portfolio.
- Now read 4 Radio And Television Stocks To Buy Now »
Tue, Mar. 1, 4:30 PM
- Demand Media (DMD +0.9%) beat profit expectations with its Q4 results despite revenue that slipped nearly 20 Y/Y.
- Revenues were split nearly evenly between services and product after a tumble in service sales. EBITDA swung to a loss of $0.9M, beating an expected loss of $2.5M.
- Content & Media revenues fell driven mostly by traffic declines to its eHow site, and lower ad monetization yields.
- Revenue breakouts: Service revenue, $17.2M (down 41.3%); Product revenue, $17.3M. By segment: Content & Media revenue, $16.1M (down 44%); Marketplaces, $18.4M (up 28.7%).
- Conference call to come at 4:30 p.m. ET.
Tue, Mar. 1, 4:07 PM
- Demand Media (NYSE:DMD): Q4 EPS of -$0.15 beats by $0.14.
- Revenue of $34.48M (-19.8% Y/Y) misses by $1.82M.
Mon, Feb. 29, 5:35 PM
Fri, Feb. 12, 7:13 PM
- Demand Media (DMD +7.7%) has shuffled its board classes in order to comply with the law, and in connection with naming Mitchell Stern as a director.
- Stern -- previously CEO of Freedom Communications, and before that CEO of DirecTV -- will serve as a Class II director and as chairman of the audit committee, replacing Brian Regan, who's moving to be chairman of the nominating committee.
- Correspondingly, Victor Parker resigned his Class I seat and was re-elected as a Class II director who'll face re-election at the 2018 annual meeting. That move was to more evenly distribute directors among the company's three classes, as required by Delaware law.
- Shares moved up sharply today but are still just 20% over the company's 52-week low, hit last Sept. 29.
Thu, Jan. 7, 6:23 PM
- Demand Media (DMD -1.5%) has entered into a new three-year employment deal with CEO Sean Moriarty, expiring Jan. 5, 2019.
- Consistent with the deal it replaces, the new agreement allows for a $400K annual salary, a performance bonus targeted at 80% of base salary, and a possible additional discretionary cash bonus.
- Moriarty will also get restricted stock units covering 500K shares.
- The term of the deal is subject to automatic one-year renewals as well, if neither party terminates it.
Nov. 5, 2015, 4:41 PM
- Demand Media (NYSE:DMD): Q3 EPS of -$0.27 beats by $0.15.
- Revenue of $28.51M (-31.0% Y/Y) misses by $2.31M.
Nov. 4, 2015, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ABCO, ABTL, ACAD, ACET, ACHN, AEGR, AGO, AHS, AIRM, AL, ALEX, ALIM, AMBR, AMRS, AMTG, ANET, ARCW, ATHX, ATSG, BBG, BBRG, BCEI, BEBE, BLDR, BPI, BRKS, BRS, CALD, CBI, CERS, CLNE, CLVS, CMLS, CORT, CPST, CSOD, CTCT, CUBE, CYBR, CYTX, DATA, DIOD, DIS, DMD, DWA, EAC, EBS, ECOM, ECPG, ED, EFC, EGN, EGOV, ELON, EOG, ERII, EVC, EXAR, FICO, FNGN, FTEK, FXCM, GDOT, GERN, GLUU, GSAT, GSM, GST, GXP, HAIN, HBM, HE, HK, HNSN, HTGC, ICUI, INAP, INFI, INWK, IRG, JJSF, KHC, KTOS, LBTYA, LNT, MAIN, MASI, MDRX, MDVN, MED, MHK, MITK, MNST, MRC, MSCC, MTD, NEWR, NFG, NKTR, NVDA, OLED, ONTY, OREX, OUT, PCTY, PETX, PKI, PLT, PODD, PRAA, PRO, PXLW, QRVO, RATE, RBA, RLYP, RMAX, RPTP, RRMS, RRTS, SEMG, SHAK, SKUL, SLH, SNAK, SREV, SSRI, STMP, SWIR, SWKS, TCRD, TCX, TEAR, TNGO, TRIP, TRMR, TRQ, TRUE, TTWO, UBNT, UEPS, VRNS, VVC, WAGE, WG, WIFI, WTW, XOMA, YUME
Aug. 6, 2015, 4:29 PM
- Demand Media (NYSE:DMD): Q2 EPS of -$0.24 in-line.
- Revenue of $29.8M (-30.9% Y/Y) misses by $2.42M.
Aug. 5, 2015, 5:35 PM
- ABTL, ACAD, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALEX, ALNY, AMBR, AMRN, AMRS, ANAC, ANAD, ANET, ASEI, ASYS, ATHX, BBG, BEAT, BIO, BITA, BOJA, BRKS, BRS, CECO, CENX, CERS, CLVS, CPST, CSOD, CUB, CUBE, CVT, CYTX, DIOD, DMD, DRYS, EAC, ED, EFC, EGN, EGOV, EGY, ELON, EOG, ERII, ESPR, EVC, FLDM, FLTX, FPRX, FXCM, FXEN, GALE, GEOS, GNMK, GSBD, GXP, HNSN, HTGC, HUBS, IMI, IMPV, INWK, IRG, JMBA, KTOS, LGF, MAIN, MDVN, MHK, MNST, NDLS, NEWR, NFG, NPTN, NUAN, NUS, NVDA, OLED, ONTY, ORIG, OSTK, OUT, PACD, PETX, PLNR, PODD, POST, PRO, RBA, RBCN, RIGP, RJET, RMAX, RPTP, RRMS, SAAS, SEM, SEMG, SFM, SHO, SKUL, SPPI, SRC, SREV, SSRI, STMP, SWIR, TCRD, TCX, TEAR, TNGO, TPC, TRMR, TRUE, TRXC, TSRO, TWOU, UBNT, VRNS, VSAT, WAIR, WIFI, WING, XOMA, XOXO, ZNGA
May 21, 2015, 5:24 PM
- Demand Media (NYSE:DMD) is giving its COO role to its Chief Technology Officer, Brian Pike, who will serve in both roles for the company.
- He came to the company from Rubicon Project and is a former CTO of Ticketmaster.
- In other executive moves, Julie Campistron (executive VP, media) and Scott Boecker (executive VP, marketplaces) are leaving the firm. Campistron was an eight-year veteran and will continue consulting for the company through August after leaving her post June 5.