Apr. 9, 2014, 12:14 PM
- According to S&P Dow Jones, 1,078 companies boosted dividends in Q1, 14.2% more than a year ago, and besting the previous record of 1.069 set in 1979. The dollar amount of increases foots to $17.8B, 22.9% higher than a year ago. A few cut payouts - 102 out of roughly 10K traded issues, and down from 139 a year ago.
- The weighted dividend yield grew 4 basis points during the quarter to 2.48%, says S&P's Howard Silverblatt. Room to grow even more? Payout ratios continue to scrape by at 36% vs. their historic average of 52%.
- Dividend ETFs: DVY, VIG, SDY, VYM, SCHD, HDV, KBWD, DES, NOBL, PEY, DIV, SPHD, DLN, DHS, DTD, DON, FDL, DGRW, FVD, PFM, SDYL, DVYL, DGRS, RDIV, RDVY, QDF, QDEF, QDYN, QINC
Feb. 24, 2014, 3:35 PM
- Comparing metrics for the two of the more popular dividend strategies - the SPDR S&P Dividend ETF (SDY +0.4%) and the Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF (VIG +0.7%) - against the two largest large-cap value ETFs - the Russell 1000 Value ETF (IWD +0.9%) and Vanguard's Value ETF (VTV +0.7%) - Larry Swedroe finds valuations quite stretched for the dividend players.
- The SDY sports a P/E ratio of 17.2x, price/book ratio of 2.5x, and price/cash flow ratio of 10.5x, with the VIG showing similar. The value ETFs have P/E below 14x, price/books below 2x, and price/cash flow below 6x.
- The popularity of dividends has led to a pleasing rise in the values of the stocks, but has thus reduced expected future returns, reminds Swedroe. And for taxable accounts, it's even worse as dividends are less tax-efficient than capital gains.
- Dividend ETFs: DVY, VIG, AMLP, SDY, VYM, AMJ, BDCL, SCHD, HDV, MLPL, YMLP, KBWD, BDCS, DES, PEY, MLPI, SPHD, DIV, DLN, DHS, MLPA, ENY, DTD, DGRW, DON, MLPN, FDL, NOBL, FVD, PFM, EMLP, MLPS, BIZD, MLPG, MLPY, MLPX, MLPJ, SDYL, AMU, YMLI, DVYL, ATMP, DGRS, ZMLP, RDIV, RDVY, MLPW, IMLP, QDYN, ENFR, QDF, QDEF, MLPC
Jan. 7, 2014, 12:05 PM
- Q4 net dividend increases of $12.7B compared to $8.4B in 2012 Q4, according to S&P. The number of increases (885), however, pales in comparison to the 1,266 "tax-incentivized" hikes from a year ago (there were 649 in 2011).
- Of roughly 10K traded stocks, 51 companies cut payouts in Q4 compared to 154 in the year-earlier quarter.
- Room for more hikes? S&P's Howard Silverblatt notes payout rates - which historically average 52% - continue to remain near their low of 36%. "At this point, we expect Q1 to be a very busy positive period for dividends, with 2014 setting another record for payments."
- The weighted dividend yield off 2.44% compares to 2.6% in Q3 and 2.8% in Q4 of 2012 as boosted payouts aren't quite keeping pace with the strong advance in equity prices.
- Dividend ETFs: DVY, IDV, VIG, SDY, VYM, SDIV, HDV, SCHD, DWX, KBWD, PID, DES, DTN, PEY, SPHD, DIV, DHS, DLN, LVL, DTD, DGRW, DON, FDL, FVD, PFM, FGD, DOO, NOBL, DOL, SDYL, DVYL, DEW, IDOG, HGI, DGRS, DNL, DGRE, DVYA, RDIV, QDF, QDEF, QDYN, EMDG, IQDF, IQDY, IQDE, WDIV, FIEG
Jan. 2, 2014, 3:03 PM
- The First Trust High Income ETF (FTHI) and Low Beta Income ETF (FTLB) will use index options as a complement to its equity holdings.
- The Nasdaq Rising Dividend Achievers ETF (RDVY) tracks an index of 50 companies with a history of raising payouts, and "that exhibit the characteristics to potentially continue doing so in the future."
- Nasdaq indices are used in a number of well-followed dividend ETFs such as PowerShares' High Yield Dividend Achievers Portfolio (PEY) and PowerShares' Dividend Achievers Portfolio (PFM).
- For its part, FirstTrust's other dividend ETFs include the Nasdaq Technology Index Fund (TDIV) and the Value Line Dividend Index Fund (FVD).
- Dividend ETFs: DVY, IDV, VIG, SDY, VYM, SDIV, HDV, SCHD, DWX, KBWD, PID, DES, DTN, PEY, SPHD, DIV, DHS, DLN, LVL, DTD, DGRW, DON, FDL, PFM, FVD, FGD, DOO, NOBL, DOL, SDYL, DVYL, DEW, IDOG, HGI, DGRS, DNL, DGRE, DVYA, RDIV, QDF, QDEF, EMDG, QDYN, IQDF, IQDY, IQDE, WDIV, FIEG
Nov. 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
- In the battle for investor dollars among dividend ETFs, Vanguard's Dividend Appreciation ETF (VIG) has soared past iShares' Select Dividend ETF (DVY) and SSgA's SPDR S&P Dividend ETF (SDY) on both an absolute basis and a s a percentage of AUM.
- From May: Vanguard lowers fees on VIG
- The lesser-known Global X SuperDividend ETF (SDIV) has nearly doubled its AUM this year and - at less than 3 years old - is knocking on the door of $1B in assets despite inconsistent performance. Investors desire for income is certainly a boost as is the fund's equal-weighting approach and monthly payout - which fluctuated wildly in 2012, but has settled into a tight range this year.
- Dividend ETFs: DVY, VIG, SDY, VYM, HDV, SCHD, SYLD, KBWD, DES, PEY, SPHD, DHS, DIV, DLN, DTD, DGRW, FDL, DON, PFM, FVD, NOBL, SDYL, DVYL, DNL, DGRS, DGRE, RDIV, QDF, QDEF, EMDG, QDYN
Oct. 1, 2013, 9:25 AM
- RevenueShares launches for trade today the Ultra Dividend Fund (RDIV). The fund seeks to outperform the S&P 900 (combined S&P 500 and S&P 400) by picking 60 securities with the highest average quarterly dividend yields over the previous 12 months and then re-weighting according to company revenue. The expense ratio is 0.49%.
- Other dividend ETFs: FDL, FVD, MDIV, QDF, QDYN, QDEF, DIV, CVY, DVY, HDV, IYLD, PEY, PFM, SCHD, SDY, SDYL, DVYL, VYM, DHS, DTD, SYLD, KBWD, SPHD, DLN, DON, HILO.
Jan. 1, 2013, 10:52 AM
Small-cap dividend ETFs (DES, DLS, DFE, DGS, DFJ, EES) led the pack in 2012 performance domestically and globally, followed by mid-caps (DON, DIM, EZM) and large-caps (DLN, DOL, EPS). Among strategy-based ETFs, it was preferreds (PGF, PFF) and buybacks (PKW) that outperformed. See here for full dividend ETF performance data.| Jan. 1, 2013, 10:52 AM | 2 Comments
See more details on sponsor's website
- In Your Portfolio: A Guide to Dividend ETFs, Core Building Blocks: A Guide to ETFs That Divide the U.S. Stock Market by Market Cap
- Asset Class Performance: Dividends ETFs, Market Cap ETFs