Mon, Jun. 27, 3:20 PM
- There's plenty of green in the REIT space today, with the IYR off just 0.25% (vs. the S&P 500's 2% decline). Helping is the continuing plunge in interest rates, with the 10-year yield at 1.46% within seven basis points of an all-time low.
- Among the gainers are Realty Income (O +1.7%), National Retail Properties (NNN +1%), Senior Housing (SNH +2.2%), Omega Healthcare (OHI +0.9%), AvalonBay (AVB +1.1%), Kimco (KIM +1.3%), Tanger Factory (SKT +1.9%), and Public Storage (PSA +3.8%).
- Lodging REITs, however, are dependent on a steady stream of overseas tourist money, and the dollar's continued surge vs. everything not named the yen promises to crimp foreign visits. Ashford (AHT -6.6%), Sunstone (SHO -4.8%), LaSalle (LHO -4.1%), Pebblebrook (PEB -4.2%), Chesapeake (CHSP -3.3%), Host (HT -6.7%), DiamondRock (DRH -4.8%), Apple (APLE -2.9%), FelCor (FCH -5.4%).
Wed, Jun. 15, 10:01 AM
- The San Francisco Board of Supervisors last week passed a bill requiring home-sharing services like Airbnb (Private:AIRB) to remove listings of units that have not been registered with the San Francisco Office of Short-Term Rentals.
- The team at Canaccord expects a near-term reduction of Airbnb listings of 80%, and nearly 50% on a stabilized basis. This should be a "marginal tailwind," and help San Francisco relative to other major hotel markets in coming months. Other cities are likely to follow suit.
- Buy rated stocks remain: Apple Hospitality (APLE +0.6%), DiamondRock (DRH +2%), Summit Hotel (INN +0.6%), Marriott (MAR +0.9%), and RLJ Lodging (RLJ +1.6%).
- Meanwhile, the lodging sector as a whole has its tail in the air as not only this news, but Airbnb's agreement to begin collecting occupancy tax in Pennsylvania filters through.
- Ashford (AHP +1.6%), (AHT +1.2%), Starwood (HOT +0.8%), Hospitality Properties (HPT +0.8%), Host Hotels (HST +1.5%), LaSalle (LHO +2.2%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO +1.1%), Pebblebrook (PEB +2.2%), Chesapeake (CHSP +1.3%), Chatham (CLDT +1.2%), Hersha (HT +1.4%)
Thu, May 19, 9:58 AM
- RLJ Lodging Trust (RLJ -5.1%) is the recipient of a two-notch downgrade to Underperform from Buy at BAML.
- The sector as a whole is under a great deal of pressure again today, still reacting to the FOMC's surprising hawkishness yesterday. Not only do higher rates compete with these dividend payers, but operationally there's pain as the resultant stronger dollar slows foreign demand for rooms.
- Ashford Trust (AHT -3.6%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO -3.5%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -3.7%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -1.9%), Chatham Lodging (CLDT -1.8%), Host Hotels (HST -4.1%), Hersha Hospitality (HT -5.2%), DiamondRock (DRH -4.9%).
Fri, Mar. 11, 5:38 PM
Mon, Jan. 25, 3:16 PM
- Modest declines in the major averages are masking the continued liquidation in a number of financial sectors.
- Hotel REITs: Pebblebrook Hotel (PEB -2.4%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -2.2%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -2.9%), DiamondRock Hospitality (DRH -3.3%)
- Nonbank servicing: Ocwen Financial (OCN -6.9%), Walter Investment (WAC -10.5%), Nationstar Mortgage (NSM -6.7%), Altisource Portfolio (ASPS -4.6%), New Residential (NRZ -3.2%)
- Mortgage REITs: Two Harbors (TWO -3.8%), Invesco (IVR -4.3%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE -3.4%), Western Asset (WMC -3.7%), Apollo Residential (AMTG -3.8%), AG Mortgage (MITT -3.9%)
- BDCs: Prospect Capital (PSEC -4%), Apollo Investment (AINV -2.2%), Medley Capital (MCC -4.1%), Gladstone Capital (GLAD -4.4%). A few in this sector are managing gains though: Main Street (MAIN +1%), TICC Capital (TICC +1.9%), Harris & Harris (TINY +1.8%)
Wed, Jan. 13, 3:30 PM
- LaSalle Hotel Properties (LHO -7.3%) earlier cut its Q4 guidance, saying the weak RevPAR trends for it and the industry continued into the end of the year. At the moment, 2016 isn't looking so promising either, says the company.
- The broad markets are selling off sharply today, but the REITs not so much, and there are even a couple of pockets of green. Not in the lodging sector though:
- Hospitality Properties (HPT -3.1%), Ashford Hospitality (AHT -6.1%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO -6.3%), Pebblebrook Hotel (PEB -4%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -4.9%), Summit Hotel (INN -5.6%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ -6.3%), Chatham Lodging (CLDT -3.2%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -10.2%), Host Hotels (HST -5.5%), Hersha Hospitality (HT -5.1%), DiamondRock (DRH -7.4%), Apple (APLE -1.6%)
Oct. 23, 2015, 11:46 AM
- Pebblebrook Hotel (after warning last month of a soft Q3), cut its outlook for Q4, noting a softening global economy and weaker job growth in the U.S. It's down 8%.
- LaSalle Hotel is in the "penalty box" after waiting until its earnings report to disclose the near-total shutdown of two NYC hotels in response to union issues in San Francisco. That stock is down 8.3%.
- Hospitality Properties (HPT -3.8%), Sunstone Hotels (SHO -3.2%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -3.4%), Summit Hotels (INN -2.8%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ -1.9%), Chatham Lodging (CLDT -2.3%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -6%), Host Hotels (HST -5.5%), Hersha (HT -4.3%), DiamondRock (DRH -3.2%).
- Previously: LaSalle Hotel tumbles as room closures hit results (Oct. 23)
- Previously: Pebblebrook Hotel sinks after cutting Q4 outlook (Oct. 23)
Sep. 18, 2015, 11:08 AM
- The broad market is lower, but the REIT sector (IYR +0.5%) is tacking on to yesterday's post-FOMC gains.
- The lodging names, however, remain under pressure, with Pebblebrook Hotel Trust's (PEB -5%) Monday warning of weak business in August and September apparently still driving the action.
- Hospitality Properties (HPT -1.3%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO -3.9%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -4%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -2.9%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ -4.7%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -5.5%), Host Hotels (HST -3%), Hersha Hospitality (HT -2.7%), DiamondRock (DRH -3.9%), Apple Hospitality (APLE -2.5%).
Sep. 15, 2015, 12:21 PM
- Pebblebrook Hotel Trust last night said RevPAR this quarter could miss guidance thanks to weaker-than-expected demand in August and September. The stock is lower by 7.2%, and taking most of the rest of the sector along with it.
- Ashford Hospitality (AHT -2.7%), Ashford Hospitality Prime (AHP -1.8%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO -3.3%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -4%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -3.4%), Summit Hotel (INN -2%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ -3.6%), Chatham Lodging (CLDT -2.2%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -4.1%), Host Hotels (HST -3.7%), DiamondRock (DRH -3.3%), Hersha Hospitality (HT -3.5%).
- Notable outperformers: Hospitality Properties (HPT -0.8%), Strategic Hotels (BEE flat).
Mar. 25, 2015, 9:48 AM
- Downgraded to Reduce from Neutral are DiamondRock Hospitality (DRH -1.3%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -1.8%), Hersha Hospitality Trust (HT -2.5%), Host Hotels and Resorts (HST -0.9%), and LaSalle Hotel (LHO -1.5%).
- Cut to Neutral from Buy is Starwood Hotels (HOT -0.9%).
- For what it's worth, Starwood - the only one of the group rated a Buy before today - has about the worst performance of the bunch over the last year, ahead about 6% (Hersha is up just 5%, and the rest are up by far more).
Nov. 30, 2011, 11:35 AM
DiamondRock Hospitality Co. is a lodging-focused Maryland corporation operating as a real estate investment trust. It owns a portfolio of premium hotels and resorts that contains guest rooms; a senior note on a mortgage loan secured by an additional hotel; and have the right to acquire, upon... More
Industry: REIT - Hotel/Motel
Country: United States
Other News & PR