Tue, Jul. 14, 3:09 PM
- A weak read on demand for apparel in today's Retail Sales report is contributing to a down day for some stocks in the sector.
- Notable decliners include Aeropostale (ARO -2.8%), Pacific Sunwear (PSUN -5.3%), DSW (DSW -4.8%), Christopher & Banks (CBK -4.9%), Stage Stores (SSI -2.2%).
- Previously: June Retail Sales miss expectations (Jul. 14 2015)
- Previously: Retail sales: No help from department stores (Jul. 14 2015)
Thu, Jun. 11, 8:48 AM
- Clothing stores showed some signs of life in May as tipped in today's Retail Sales report.
- The category was up 1.5% M/M and 3.6% Y/Y to outpace total retail sales.
- The improvement is consistent is with the reads from the narrow range of apparel chains which still report monthly sales.
- The sector has seen discounters show stronger traffic trends than mall-based chains, although both groups have eased off promotional activity a bit.
- Previously: Retail sales stronger-than-expected in May
- Related stocks: ANF, AEO, LUX, GES, CTRN, CATO, LB, PLCE, SSI, ROST, GPS, BOOT, CHS, MW, ANN, ASNA, BKE, DSW, EXPR, URBN, FRAN.
Sat, Jun. 6, 12:58 PM
- Many analysts covering the apparel/department store part of the retail sector have been pushing out the same story on global lifestyle brands and REIT conversions without giving investors much of a play except an all-in turnaround bet.
- There's a suspicion with some industry insiders that F/X and comp sales headlines are hiding some undervalued picks.
- A few screens below. Add your own in the comments.
- Lowest forward price-to-earnings ratio: Genesco (NYSE:GCO), Dillard's (NYSE:DDS), Gap (NYSE:GPS), Stage Stores (NYSE:SSI), Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT).
- Lowest price-to-book ratio: Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF), Stage Stores, Ascena Retail Group (NASDAQ:ASNA), Guess (NYSE:GES), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP).
- Highest current ratio (assets/liabilities): Shoe Carnival (NASDAQ:SCVL), Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN), Guess, Citi Trends (NASDAQ:CTRN), DSW (NYSE:DSW).
Wed, May 27, 7:56 AM
- Comparable-store sales rose 5.1% for DSW (NYSE:DSW) in Q1 off of strong demand for athletic footwear.
- Revenue for the DSW business was up 9.5% to $612.21M.
- Gross profit rate +110 bps.
- Merchandise margin rate +85 bps.
- Operating expense rate -10 bps.
- Inventory +13.8% on a cost per square foot basis.
- Guidance: DSW expects FY15 EPS of $1.80-$1.90 vs. $1.88 consensus.
- Previously: DSW beats by $0.06, beats on revenue
- DSW +1.52% premarket.
Wed, May 27, 7:02 AM
Tue, May 26, 5:30 PM
Wed, Mar. 18, 7:06 AM| Wed, Mar. 18, 7:06 AM | 1 Comment
Tue, Mar. 17, 9:19 AM
Tue, Mar. 17, 8:12 AM
- Shares of DSW (NYSE:DSW) fly in opening premarket trades after the company showed comp acceleration in Q4.
- The comp includes DSW's online channel which has been revamped and is seen giving the shoe seller broader reach.
- DSW appears to have navigated around the West Coast port slowdown without a large impact on its bottom line.
- Previously: DSW beats by $0.07, beats on revenue
- Previously: DSW delivers 7.6% comp in Q4
- DSW +6.78% premarket to $39.35.
Tue, Mar. 17, 7:20 AM
- DSW (NYSE:DSW) reports comparable-store sales rose 7.6% in Q4.
- Operating profit +4.4% Y/Y to $47.87M.
- The company's store count increased by 37 to 431 units.
- Inventory was up 6.7% on a square footage basis.
- Guidance: DSW expects comp growth of 7% to 8%. Full-year EPS of $1.80-$1.90 is forecast.
- Previously: DSW beats by $0.07, beats on revenue
Tue, Mar. 17, 7:02 AM
Mon, Mar. 16, 5:30 PM
Tue, Feb. 17, 8:24 AM
Thu, Jan. 15, 10:33 AM
- Target's exit from Canada has retail analysts re-evaluating the plans of a number of chains with operations in the region.
- The list below includes companies just entering Canada with a light store count and some well-established chains which have already been trimming.
- Specialty: Chico's FAS (NYSE:CHS), DSW (NYSE:DSW), Hennes & Mauritz (OTCPK:HMRZF), Jimmy Choo, TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX), Moncler, Aeropostale (NYSE:ARO), Versace, Nordstrom.
- Big-box: Best Buy (NYSE:BBY), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS), Sears Canada (NASDAQ:SHLD).
- Previously: Nervous feet for Nordstrom over Canada? (Jan. 15 2015)
- Previously: Full exit from Canada for Target (Jan. 15 2015)
Nov. 25, 2014, 9:49 AM
- DSW (NYSE:DSW) reports comparable-store sales rose 2.6% in Q3.
- Segment sales: DSW: $632.77M (+5.94%); Affiliated business group: $37.1M (+3.91%).
- Segment comparable-store sales: DSW +2.8%; Affiliated business group +0.3%.
- Gross margin rate declined 100 bps to 32.63%.
- Operating margin -204 bps to 11.90%.
- Inventory +14.67% Y/Y to $486.26M.
- Store count +9.67% Y/Y to 431.
- FY2014 Guidance: Net sales: mid-single digit range growth; Comparable-store sales: slightly positive growth; Adjusted EPS: $1.55 to $1.65; Tax rate: slightly below 39.0%; Diluted shares outstanding: 90.5M.
- DSW +6.54% premarket.
Nov. 25, 2014, 9:15 AM
DSW Inc along with its subsidiaries operates as a branded footwear & accessories retailer. The Company offers women's footwear; men's footwear; athletic footwear; & also offers a complementary assortment of handbags, hosiery, jewelry & other accessories.
Other News & PR