Mon, Sep. 26, 9:50 AM
- The American Gaming Association is hosting the Global Gaming Expo in Las Vegas this week.
- Areas of focus during the confab are expected to include e-sports, online gaming opportunities in the U.S., M&A trends, and how the industry can increase millennial traffic to casinos.
- The event has the usual all-star roster of gaming industry speakers, although the highlight may be former NBA Commissioner David Stern's participation on a CEO roundtable set for Thursday that will delve into sports betting.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:EIHDF, OTC:BTFRF, OTCPK:PYGMF, OTCPK:PDYPY, OTC:WIMHF, OTCPK:WIMHY, RRR, CZR, MGM, BYD, OTC:LDBKF, OTCPK:LDBKY, OTCPK:RANKF, DUEL, DDAY, DRAFT, GDEN, NYNY, CHDN, FLL, PENN, SGMS, CNTY, OTCQB:TPCA, LVS, ERI.
- Related ETF: BJK.
Thu, Sep. 22, 11:22 AM
- A major development on the betting scene is raising eyebrows in the global gaming industry. The NBA signed a deal with Sportradar to provide NBA data and video game feeds to gaming operators outside of the U.S.
- Sources indicate the data deal is worth $250M over six years.
- Detailed player tracking could open up new betting sports categories as the industry evolves beyond daily fantasy games.
- Sportradar is a privately-owned company with PE backers and high-profile investors such as Michael Jordan and Mark Cuban on board. Here's the interesting twist: The NFL is also an investor and partner.
- Efforts to legalize sports betting in the U.S. are breaking out in various forms, while in Las Vegas the welcoming mat for the Oakland Raiders and the NFL has been laid out.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:EIHDF, OTC:BTFRF, OTCPK:PYGMF, OTCPK:PDYPY, OTC:WIMHF, OTCPK:WIMHY, RRR, CZR, MGM, BYD, OTC:LDBKF, OTCPK:LDBKY, OTCPK:RANKF, DUEL, DDAY, DRAFT.
- Related ETF: BJK.
Wed, Aug. 31, 7:42 AM
Wed, Aug. 24, 12:55 PM
Thu, Aug. 18, 1:06 PM
- 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF) and Rank Group (OTCPK:RANKF) have thrown in the towel on their acquisition bid for William Hill (OTC:WIMHF) after being rebuffed twice.
- "We believe that there was compelling industrial logic for the combination of these highly complementary businesses," stated 888 CEO Itai Frieberger.
- 888 Holdings press release
- Shares of William Hill fell 1.53% in London trading.
Mon, Aug. 15, 9:26 AM
Thu, Aug. 11, 12:41 PM
- There's bitter words instead of an increased offer from 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF) founder Eyal Shaked after William Hill (OTC:WIMHF) rejected its buyout offer.
- "Pure ego made #WilliamHill reject #Rank and #888 £3.16bn bid and that will be their downfall," tweeted Shaked .
- Shares of William Hill are still up 23% over the last month in London amid the deal buzz.
Wed, Aug. 10, 9:10 AM
- Former NBA Commissioner David Stern will make a key speech at the Global Gaming Expo next month in which he will present the case for legalizing sports betting, according to ESPN.
- Stern's turnaround on sports betting lines him up with the views of current NBA commissioner Adam Silver who supports a federal framework of betting regulations. The NBA has a small stake in FanDuel (Private:DUEL) in what could be considered a bit of a hedge.
- Sports betting is slated to be a major focus of the Global Gaming Expo scheduled for September 26-September 29 at the Sands Expo. The Nevada Gaming Commission is also considering allowing remote wagering from all 50 states in what could be a major disruption to the industry if passed.
- Earlier this week, a federal court blocked New Jersey from offering legalized sports betting as it upheld the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act.
- POTUS watch: Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have offered some support for legalized sports betting in prior comments, but don't have well-defined positions on the issue.
- Broadly-related stocks: ISLE, PENN, PNK, BYD, GLPI, CHDN, MCRI, OTCQB:TPCA, CNTY, ERI, NYNY, DDE, UWN, FLL, CZR, CACQ, MGM, LVS, WYNN, DRAFT, DDAY, OTCPK:DTFSF, ZNGA, OTC:WIMHF, AYA, OTCPK:EIHDF, SGMS, OTCQB:GLXZ.
Tue, Aug. 9, 12:48 PM
- William Hill (OTC:WIMHF) turned down a structured £3.2B ($4.12B) stock-and-cash offer from 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF) and Rank Group (OTCPK:RANKF).
- "This conditional proposal substantially undervalues William Hill, is highly opportunistic and does not reflect the inherent value of the business," reads a biting statement from the company.
- Shares of William Hill closed up 0.49% to 329 pence in London trading.
Tue, Aug. 9, 9:39 AM
- The Third Circuit Court of Appeals has denied an appeal by New Jersey to offer legal sports betting.
- The development is seen as positive for DraftKings (Private:DRAFT) and FanDuel (Private:DUEL), while negative for local casinos (MGM, MGP, CZR, OTCPK:EIHDF). The precedent could help Las Vegas operators if other states give up on setting up a sports betting framework.
- Related stocks: WYNN, LVS, FLL, BYD, OTCQB:TPCA.
- Related ETF: BJK.
Mon, Jul. 25, 8:15 AM
- William Hill (OTC:WIMHF, OTCPK:WIMHY) confirms it's the target of a joint takeover bid from 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF) and The Rank Group.
- The company says it will listen to any proposal, although it also added that it's "not clear" a combination will enhance its strategic positioning.
- Shares of William Hill are up over 10% in London trading.
- William Hill press release
Wed, Jun. 15, 8:48 AM
- The New York State Senate approved a bill to make online poker legal in New York with restrictions.
- The bill would allow New York's 11 racetrack casinos to host online poker tournaments.
- New York will be the fourth state in the U.S. after Delaware, New Jersey, and Nevada with legalized online poker if the full state assembly approves the legislation. There's considerable debate over which direction the assembly will go.
- A significant political battle over the potential development of new casinos in the northern part of New Jersey is in the background of the online poker discussion.
- Related stocks: CZR, OTCPK:EIHDF, MGM, AYA, BYD, NYNY.
Mon, Jun. 6, 2:21 PM
- The purchase by MGM Resorts (NYSE:MGM) of the Borgata could help to usher in the second wave of online gambling legalization, according to analysis from USPoker.com's Steve Ruddock.
- "If expansion occurs, multiple online gambling stakeholders will have national interests and realize a potential windfall from interstate agreements. This should make the barriers for interstate and even international agreements less daunting," writes Ruddock.
- Caesars Entertainment (NASDAQ:CZR) and 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF) top the list of pro-online poker players. Mohegan Sun and MGM Resorts with its interests in New Jersey, Michigan, and New Jersey are also likely to support more legalization.
- Previously: A deep dive into the Borgata deal (June 1)
Tue, May 17, 2:18 PM
- Insider selling at 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF) isn't something for investors to panic over, according to analysis from gambling industry site CalvinAyre.com.
- Earlier this week, 888 shares fell after co-founder Shay Ben-Yitzhak lowered his stake to 2.6% from 10.9%.
- While the company has survived other rounds of insider selling in its past, this time around William Hill (OTC:WIMHF, OTCPK:WIMHY) is a potential bidder.
Tue, Mar. 22, 8:23 AM
- 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF): FY15 EPS of $0.16
- Revenue of $462.1M (+1.6% Y/Y)
Dec. 30, 2015, 9:24 AM
- The elevated level of consolidation in the gaming sector is expected to continue in 2016 as companies look to scale up amid margin pressure.
- Analysts think 888 Holdings (OTCPK:EIHDF) and William Hill (OTC:WIMHF, OTCPK:WIMHY) could rekindle their merger talks.
- Betsson (OTCPK:BTSNF) is seen combining with Malta-based Unibet.
- Mega-mergers are given a longer shot by analysts despite persistent chatter over Wynn Resorts (NASDAQ:WYNN), MGM Resorts (NYSE:MGM), and Las Vegas Sands (NYSE:LVS). Some names to watch for M&A buzz include Full House Resorts (NASDAQ:FLL), Amaya (NASDAQ:AYA), Tropicana Entertainment (OTCQB:TPCA), Entertainment Gaming (NASDAQ:EGT), Eldorado Holdings (NASDAQ:ERI), Ladbrokes (OTCPK:LDBKY), Boyd Gaming (NYSE:BYD), Isle of Capri (NASDAQ:ISLE), and Golden Entertainment (NASDAQ:GDEN). A wildcard in the mix is Caesars Entertainment (NASDAQ:CZR) which is mired in legal quagmire, but has some strong properties in its stable if it can clear bankruptcy intact.
- Place your 2016 gaming merger bet in the comment stream.
- Related ETF : BJK.