Thu, Jul. 21, 10:39 AM
- Airline stocks (JETS -2.8%) are broadly lower following Southwest Airlines' (LUV -8.8%) Q2 earnings miss and downbeat guidance for a 3%-4% decline in Q3 RASM from a 0.6% gain in Q2.
- Shares also are hurt by warnings from Deutsche Lufthansa (OTCQX:DLAKF, OTCQX:DLAKY) and EasyJet (OTC:EJTTF, OTCQX:ESYJY) that recent terror attacks and political turmoil in Europe were weighing on their businesses.
- Lufthansa says advance bookings, particularly on longer routes to Europe, "have declined significantly, in particular due to repeated terrorist attacks in Europe and to greater political and economic uncertainty."
- Easyjet also warns on terrorism, and says the U.K.’s Brexit vote would hurt per-seat revenue, and that foreign exchange and fuel cost effects would add ~£25M ($33M) to full-year expenses.
- DAL -3.1%, UAL -2.9%, AAL -2%, RYAAY -2.9%, ALK +0.8%, JBLU -2.3%, SAVE -2.6%, HA -1.3%, SKYW -0.2%.
Thu, Jul. 21, 4:18 AM
- Helped by cost-control measures, Unilever (NYSE:UL) posted a profit rise and said it's ready for challenges ahead.
- Swatch (OTCPK:SWGAY) expects a recovery in the second half after net profit plunged 52% in H1.
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) confirmed its outlook for 2016 and reported results that exceeded expectations.
- Driven by price and mix realization, SABMiller's (OTCPK:SBMRY) group net producer revenue grew 2% in Q1.
- Lufthansa (OTCQX:DLAKY) cut its full-year profit target, saying "terrorist attacks in Europe" weighed on its bookings.
- The fears also hit Easyjet (OTCQX:ESYJY), with shares under pressure after weak Q3 revenues.
May 23, 2011, 5:16 AM
Airline stocks are falling in Europe as Iceland's recent volcanic eruption threatens to send an ash cloud into U.K. airspace by tomorrow. At present, the only airspace closures expected are in Iceland. In European trading, Easyjet -4.9%, Ryanair -5.3%, Air France -3.3%, Deutsche Lufthansa -3.7%. (previously)| May 23, 2011, 5:16 AM