Apr. 29, 2015, 5:10 PM
- Emulex (NYSE:ELX): FQ3 EPS of $0.16 beats by $0.03.
- Revenue of $96.3M (-12.2% Y/Y) misses by $7.26M.
Feb. 26, 2015, 12:57 PM
Feb. 25, 2015, 5:37 PM
Feb. 25, 2015, 4:48 PM
- In tandem with its FQ1 results, Avago (NASDAQ:AVGO) announces it's buying Fibre Channel/Ethernet connectivity hardware maker Emulex (NYSE:ELX) for $609M net of cash and debt, or $8/share. The price represents a 26% premium to Emulex's Wednesday close.
- The deal is expected to be funded with cash on hand, and to close in the second half of Avago's FY15 (ends Nov. 1). It's expected to be immediately accretive.
- Avago is less than a year removed from buying LSI, whose product line includes RAID storage controllers, storage adapter cards, hard drive SoCs, and network processors. Much of Emulex's product line, which includes Fibre Channel and Ethernet adapter cards, Ethernet and storage controllers, and network monitoring hardware, is complementary to LSI's and/or services the same hardware OEMs.
- Avago is up 5.3% AH to $118.64 following the acquisition news, its FQ1 EPS beat, and strong FQ2 revenue guidance. Emulex is up 24.8% to $7.94. Emulex archrival QLogic (NASDAQ:QLGC) is up 4% to $15.16.
Feb. 11, 2015, 2:31 PM
- Today's notable tech gainers include Chinese mobile app developer/game publisher NQ Mobile (NQ +5.3%), P2P lending platform/recent IPO Lending Club (LC +4.7%), Chinese microblogging leader Weibo (WB +5.2%), analog/mixed-signal chipmaker Power Integrations (POWI +4.1%), security tech provider Wave Systems (WAVX +10.6%), car-buying site TrueCar (TRUE +7.6%), and Fibre Channel/Ethernet connectivity hardware vendor Emulex (ELX +3.6%).
- Notable decliners include Chinese EV maker Kandi Technologies (KNDI -4.7%), optical component maker Oclaro (OCLR -5%), Chinese online travel agency eLong (LONG -5.6%), and big data software provider/recent IPO Hortonworks (HDP -3.5%). The Nasdaq is up 0.1%.
- LendingClub is now up 47% from its $15 IPO price, and Hortonworks up 42% from its $16 IPO price. TrueCar is two days removed from announcing its dealer count has topped 10K. eLong is adding to the losses seen after last week's Q4 miss.
- Previously covered: 3D Systems/Voxeljet, AOL, Worlds, A10 Networks, 500.com, Digital Ally, Marketo, Jive Software
Jan. 30, 2015, 10:22 AM
- QLogic (QLGC +4.8%) has jumped to new 52-week highs after beating FQ3 estimates and issuing strong FQ4 guidance on its CC: Revenue of $132M-$138M and EPS of $0.24-$0.28 vs. a consensus of $133.1M and $0.25 (transcript).
- Archrival Emulex (ELX -8.1%), however, is off sharply after providing in-line FQ3 guidance - revenue of $97M-$103M and EPS of $0.11-$0.15 vs. a consensus of $100.1M and $0.13 - to go with an FQ2 beat.
- QLogic CEO Prasad Rmapalli asserts his company has been gaining share in the Fibre Channel adapter card market (59% estimated revenue share over the first three quarters of calendar 2014), and has seen "significant share gains" in the high-end 16G Gen 5 segment.
- He added strong Q/Q growth was seen for QLogic's 10G Ethernet adapters and ASICs - the company bought Broadcom's Ethernet controller business a year ago - aided by major design wins for servers running Intel's recently-launched Grantley Xeon CPUs. 25G Ethernet adoption is forecast to be "a disruptive force in the Ethernet ecosystem."
- Likely hurting Emulex: CFO Kyle Wescoat stated on the CC (transcript) "sequential [FQ3] growth in our Ethernet products is offset by Fibre Channel seasonality that could be more pronounced than usual, given the stronger-than-expected December quarter performance."
- A BMO analyst pressed Emulex about its 10G Ethernet share during the Grantley server cycle, and an RBC analyst asked if IBM's recent woes are hurting the company. CEO Jeff Benck declared Emulex is confident it can gain share during the Grantley cycle, and noted a weak UNIX server market (where IBM is a major player) can have an impact.
Jan. 29, 2015, 4:22 PM
- Emulex (NYSE:ELX): FQ2 EPS of $0.24 beats by $0.05.
- Revenue of $111.08M (-9.7% Y/Y) beats by $3.1M.
Jan. 28, 2015, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ALGN, AMZN, AVNW, BCR, BIIB, BRCM, BXP, CB, COHR, CORT, CPHD, CPSI, CTCT, DECK, EFII, ELX, ELY, EMN, EPAY, FICO, GDOT, GIMO, GOOG, HA, HBI, HLIT, INVN, ISBC, IXYS, JDSU, LEG, MCHP, MITK, MTW, N, NATI, NEU, NFG, NGVC, PCCC, PFG, PFPT, PKI, PMCS, QLGC, RHI, RVBD, SFG, SWI, SYNA, TFSL, TUES, UIS, V, VR, WERN
Jan. 13, 2015, 12:45 PM
Jan. 13, 2015, 10:33 AM
- Emulex (NYSE:ELX) now expects FQ2 revenue of $110M-$111M and EPS of $0.23-$0.24, above prior guidance of $102M-$108M and $0.14-$0.18; consensus is at $105.7M and $0.16.
- CEO Jeff Benck: "Emulex finished calendar year 2014 in a much stronger position led by a resilient Fibre Channel sector and benefiting from solid execution and customers' embrace of our current product cycles." The company sees a "broad slate of OEM qualifications of our 10Gb Ethernet products designed for next generation x86 servers [ramping] in the market over the next year."
- Full FQ2 results arrive on Jan. 29. Improving server demand appears to have provided a lift.
- Archrival QLogic (QLGC +5.7%) and InfiniBand/Ethernet adapter and switch vendor Mellanox (MLNX +3%) are also outperforming, as is Fibre Channel switch leader Brocade (BRCD +3.2%). The Nasdaq is up 1.7%.
Dec. 17, 2014, 11:44 AM
- Five months after upgrading QLogic (NASDAQ:QLGC) to Equalweight, Morgan Stanley has upped its rating for the adapter card/switch vendor to Overweight. Archrival Emulex (NYSE:ELX) is catching a sympathy bid.
- MS also hiked its server industry growth forecast today, thanks in part to a belief Microsoft's ending of Windows Server 2003 support (set for July 2015) will drive strong upgrade activity. IDC, which recently estimated server industry revenue rose 4.8% Y/Y in Q3, holds a similar view.
Dec. 9, 2014, 2:36 PM
- 3G/4G IP licensing firm InterDigital (IDCC +3.6%) and storage adapter card/switch vendor Emulex (ELX +3.6%) have both rallied after presenting at Barclays' Global Technology Conference (webcast).
- InterDigital CEO Bill Merritt and Emulex CEO Jeff Benck each presented at 1:30PM ET. InterDigital is near its 52-week high of $53.50, and up 80% YTD.
Dec. 4, 2014, 7:04 PM
- With a corporate upgrade cycle and Web/cloud demand boosting sales, IDC estimates global server revenue rose 4.8% Y/Y in Q3 to $12.7B, an improvement from Q2's 2.5% growth and Q1's 2.2% decline. Gartner is more conservative, estimating revenue only rose 1.7%.
- "IDC has seen increasing market influence from Greater China, hyperscale datacenters, ODMs and native Chinese OEMs, all of which grew sharply in the third quarter," says VP Matt Eastwood. Like others, IDC expects Intel's recent Grantley Xeon CPU launch, together with the pending end of Windows Server 2003 support, to keep demand healthy.
- Thanks to weak demand for its high-end, Itanium-based, Integrity servers, market leader H-P's (NYSE:HPQ) share fell 140 bps Y/Y to 26.5%, after having risen 40 bps in Q2. H-P just rolled out Integrity servers running (x86-based) Intel Xeon CPUs in an attempt to stop the bleeding.
- #2 IBM's share fell 500 bps to 18.2%, thanks to both high-end (mainframe/Power) and x86 weakness. The sale of IBM's x86 server unit to Lenovo closed early in Q4. #3 Dell's share rose 80 bps to 17.8%.
- Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) passed Oracle (NYSE:ORCL) to take the #4 slot: Cisco's share rose 130 bps to 6.2% on the back of 31% revenue growth, while Oracle's was flat at 4.1% (3.4% revenue growth). Today, Cisco and IBM announced a converged hardware solution that pairs the former's UCS servers with the latter's Storwize storage arrays.
- As expected, white-label servers sold to Internet giants (called ODM Direct by IDC) continued gaining ground: Their share rose 250 bps to 8.9%. Everyone else saw their share collectively rise 210 bps to 18.4%.
- Related tickers: SMCI, MLNX, QLGC, ELX
Oct. 30, 2014, 6:59 PM
Oct. 30, 2014, 4:19 PM
- Emulex (NYSE:ELX): Q3 EPS of $0.14 beats by $0.06.
- Revenue of $103.8M (-9.6% Y/Y) beats by $7.4M.
Oct. 29, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ADNC, ADUS, AEGR, AFFX, AHS, AHT, AIV, ALJ, ATEN, ATRC, AXTI, BCOV, BEAT, BYD, BYI, CCI, CHE, CODE, COLM, CPSI, CPT, CSLT, CTRL, CUBE, DCT, DGI, DGII, EGN, EGO, EHTH, ELGX, ELLI, ELX, EMN, EPAY, ESIO, ESS, EXPE, FLDM, FLR, FLT, FRT, GB, GDOT, GMED, GNMK, GPRO, GRPN, HIL, HME, IMMR, IMPV, INT, ISBC, KEG, LNKD, LRE, LYV, MCHP, MELI, MHK, MOH, MTZ, MXL, MYL, NATI, NEM, NR, NSR, NUVA, OIS, OMCL, ONNN, OPLK, OUTR, PKI, PSA, PXLW, QNST, RAIL, RSG, SAM, SBUX, SEM, SGEN, SGMS, SIMG, SPF, SREV, STAA, STAG, SYNC, TCO, TEP, THRX, TNAV, TPX, TRMB, TSO, TSRA, TSYS, TUES, VCRA, WU, YRCW, ZEN