Emerson Getting Better, But The Market Is In Step
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Expectations Improving Faster Than Results At Emerson
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Tue, Jul. 26, 12:27 PM
- Japan’s Nidec Corp. is the leading bidder for Emerson Electric’s (EMR +0.9%) motors and drives unit in a sale that could fetch ~$1B, Bloomberg reports.
- Two Chinese groups reportedly also have expressed interest in the motors and drives business, and a winner for the auction could be announced as soon as this week.
- Nidec is the world’s biggest maker of precision motors used in hard disk drives and other products, and it bought EMR’s motors and appliance controls business in 2010.
Fri, Jul. 22, 2:31 PM
- Emerson Electric (EMR +0.2%) has made an offer to acquire pump manufacturer Pentair's (PNR +0.8%) valves and controls business, in a sale could be valued at ~$2B (£1.5B), Reuters reports.
- Such a deal would free PNR from a unit that CEO Randy Hogan considers a laggard in generating cash, while allowing EMR to expand within its core sectors as it seeks to shed its network power and motors and drives businesses, according to the report.
Fri, Jul. 15, 10:18 AM
- BMO technical analyst Russ Visch likes the following stocks:
- MMM: breaks out of 2-yr range, new target $205.
- AYI: successfully tested breakout at $241 level, next target $313.
- CAT: “lots of positive developments” including beginnings of a bearish-to-bullish reversal; rally above $81 would signal uptrend resuming with target of $105.
- EMR: successful retest of recent breakout, rally above $56.75 would open new target of $65.50.
- GE: breaks out of triangle pattern, next target $37, implies nearly 15% gain.
- TYC: has to breakout above $44 resistance, that would open new target of $48.
- UNP: in bearish-to-bullish reversal, new long-term uptrend underway, next target $113, implies 23% gain.
- UPS: to challenge all-time high at $114.40, breakout would be “extremely bullish” with new target $140.
- Also likes: FAST, FLR, JEC, MAS, PH, UTX, VRSK
Fri, Jul. 8, 5:32 AM
- Sources indicate that three bidders are in the hunt for Emerson Electric's (NYSE:EMR) Motors and Drives unit. Private equity firm Clayton Dubilier & Rice and two Chinese companies are reported to be prepping bids for the business that include alternator specialist Leroy Somer.
- Emerson is expected to finalize a deal before the end of August.
Wed, Jun. 22, 9:02 AM
- Trailing three-month orders ending May fell 5% at Emerson Electric (NYSE:EMR), reflecting reduced levels of spending by global E&P customers as well as persistently lower general industrial capital spending.
- Underlying orders, which exclude a negligible impact from currency translation, were down 6%.
- EMR -3% premarket
- SEC Form 8-K
Tue, May 3, 10:16 AM
Tue, May 3, 8:28 AM
- Adjusted earnings increased 2% to $0.66 per share vs. $0.65 in the comparable quarter a year ago.
- Revenue by segment: Process Management -11%; Industrial Automation -16%; Network Power -4%; Climate Technologies -1%; Commercial & Residential Solutions -15%.
- "The execution I've seen across our businesses during the first half of fiscal 2016 has been exceptional given the difficult environment," CEO David Farr said.
- The company affirmed its fiscal year guidance for adjusted earnings per share of $3.05-$3.25, which excludes separation costs of $250M-$300M related to the company's portfolio repositioning activities.
- EMR +1% premarket
- FQ2 results
Tue, May 3, 7:02 AM
Mon, May 2, 5:30 PM
- ABMD, ACW, ADM, AFSI, ALE, ALLT, AMAG, AMG, APLP, AROC, ARRY, ARW, AUDC, BBW, BCC, BCO, CARB, CEQP, CFX, CIE, CLX, CMI, COTY, CVLT, CVS, DUK, ECA, ECL, EIGI, EL, EMR, EXAS, FDP, FIS, FMS, FSS, FTR, GLDD, GLT, GRUB, H, HAL, HCA, HCN, HEP, HOT, HRS, HSIC, HW, KEM, KMT, LXRX, MNK, MNTA, MYL, NI, NTI, NWN, NXST, NYT, OZM, PBI, PFE, Q, RDWR, RHP, RRD, S, SALE, SALT, SGNT, SMG, SSH, TAP, TECH, TICC, VLO, VMC, VSH, WAC, WCG, WEC, WLK, WNR, WNRL, WWW, XYL
Mon, May 2, 7:58 AM
- April monthly performance was: +0.8%
- $0.21 in dividends were paid in April
- Top 10 Holdings as of 3/31/2016: Nucor Corp (NUE): 2.38%, Emerson Electric Co (EMR): 2.24%, Illinois Tool Works Inc (ITW): 2.22%, W.W. Grainger Inc (GWW): 2.22%, Genuine Parts Co (GPC): 2.22%, Pentair PLC (PNR): 2.19%, Leggett & Platt Inc (LEG): 2.19%, McCormick & Co Inc Non-Voting (MKC): 2.17%, Air Products & Chemicals Inc (APD): 2.15%, Dover Corp (DOV): 2.15%
Wed, Apr. 20, 12:44 PM
- Emerson Electric (EMR -0.6%) is launching the sale of its Motors and Drives unit, which could be valued at up to $800M, as the company focuses on divisions including heating and air conditioning, Reuters reports.
- Sector peers such as Brazil's WEG, Japan's Nidec, U.S.-based Regal Beloit (NYSE:RBC) and some Chinese groups are expected to show interest, according to the report.
- Analysts say the unit has ~$1.5B in revenues and could be worth as much as $800M based on forecast 2016 EBITDA of ~$100M and a sector multiple of 5x-8x.
- Now read The buzz behind Emerson Electric
Mon, Apr. 4, 4:51 PM
- Siemens (OTCPK:SIEGY) is in early-stage talks with Emerson Electric (NYSE:EMR) about acquiring the network power business EMR is looking to sell for as much as $4B, Reuters reports.
- EMR, which said last June it would seek to spin off the network power business and explore options for its remaining non-core portfolio, also is talking with P-E firms including Platinum Equity, and other companies also have expressed interest, according to the report.
- A potential deal would allow EMR to focus on its core industrial automation businesses, as well as its commercial and residential heating and air conditioning divisions.
- Now read Emerson Electric: Sell on 19% share price appreciation
Mon, Apr. 4, 7:23 AM
- March monthly performance was: +6.87%
- 52-week performance vs. the S&P 500 is: +5%
- No dividends were paid in March
- Top 10 Holdings as of 2/29/2016: Nucor Corp (NUE): 2.35%, Illinois Tool Works Inc (ITW): 2.18%, Genuine Parts Co (GPC): 2.17%, Leggett & Platt Inc (LEG): 2.16%, Emerson Electric Co (EMR): 2.16%, Target Corp (TGT): 2.16%, Cincinnati Financial Corp (CINF): 2.15%, W W Grainger Inc (GWW): 2.15%, McCormick & Co Inc Non-Voting (MKC): 2.11%, 3M Co (MMM): 2.11%
Mon, Mar. 14, 10:30 AM
- Emerson Process Management, a global business unit of Emerson (EMR -0.3%), has been awarded a contract to automate the Maersk Oil Culzean gas field development in the North Sea.
- As the main automation contractor, Emerson will provide automation services and technologies for three offshore platforms as well as for an onshore observation facility that can support remote operations if needed.
- The Culzean field, one of the largest gas discoveries in the area, is expected to meet around 5% of the U.K.'s total demand.
Tue, Feb. 2, 9:53 AM
- Emerson Electric (NYSE:EMR) declares $0.475/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 4.18%.
- Payable March 10; for shareholders of record Feb. 12; ex-div Feb. 10.
Tue, Feb. 2, 7:45 AM
- Adjusted earnings fell 25% to $0.56 per share vs. $0.75 in the comparable quarter a year ago.
- Revenue by segment: Process Management -14%; Industrial Automation -30%; Network Power -6%; Climate Technologies -13%; Commercial & Residential Solutions -18%.
- Emerson expects difficult conditions to persist during fiscal 2016. The market conditions were anticipated, however, and have not changed the company's financial objectives that were developed heading into this fiscal year.
- Adjusted earnings per share for the second-quarter and full-year are expected to be approximately $0.60-$0.65 and $3.05-$3.25, respectively.
- EMR -0.2% premarket
- FQ1 results
Emerson Electric Co. manufactures and develops process controls systems, valves and analytical instruments. It operates through five segments: Process Management, Industrial Automation, Network Power, Climate Technologies and Commercial & Residential Solutions. The Process Management segment... More
Sector: Industrial Goods
Industry: Industrial Equipment & Components
Country: United States
Other News & PR