Mon, Dec. 5, 2:27 AM
- The populist wave spreading across Europe saw a defeat in Austria as voters rejected Norbert Hofer, the leader of the far-right Freedom Party.
- According to a final count at the ballot box, the Green Party's Alexander Van der Bellen won 53.3% of the vote in the country's runoff presidential election compared to Hofer's 46.4%.
- The margin is a surprise as polls ahead of Sunday's vote had shown the two candidates neck-and-neck.
- ETFs: EWO
Fri, Dec. 2, 6:34 AM
- There is a rerun of the Austrian Presidential election today, with two candidates at opposite ends of the political spectrum competing for the largely ceremonial post.
- Freedom Party candidate Norbert Hofer will face off against the Green Party's Alexander Van der Bellen after the last election results were annulled following concerns over how some postal ballots were handled. Polls show them neck-and-neck.
- ETFs: EWO
Tue, May 24, 4:46 AM
- Green Party chief Alexander Van der Bellen has won Austria's presidential election by a slim margin, preventing the Freedom Party's Norbert Hofer from becoming the European Union's first far-right head of state.
- The election split Austria and exposed, once again, deep divisions in Europe - how to deal with the migrant crisis, the economy and balance national interests against those of the EU.
- ETFs: EWO
Mon, May 23, 6:32 AM
- Austria's presidential election was too close to call on Sunday, meaning postal ballots were set to determine whether a euroskeptic anti-immigration candidate would become the EU's first far-right head of state.
- A victory for Freedom Party candidate Norbert Hofer would be a landmark triumph for resurgent populist parties across Europe, which have risen in response to the continent's migration crisis and widespread dissatisfaction with traditional parties of power.
- ETFs: EWO
Nov. 17, 2015, 6:18 AM
- Italy, Lithuania, Austria and Spain risk breaking European Union rules with their 2016 budget plans, the European Commission declared today, stating that France might also come short of its fiscal targets.
- The Commission checks draft budget plans of eurozone countries every year to see if they are in line with the Stability and Growth Pact, which sets rules for EU budgets.
- Costs associated with Europe's migrant and refugee crisis are being treated as a special case.
- ETFs: EWP, EWI, EWQ, EWO, QESP, HEWI, HEWP
Sep. 17, 2015, 4:49 AM
- Link (.pdf)
- ETFs: FXE, RSX, VGK, EUO, EWG, GREK, FEZ, HEDJ, RUSL, EWP, RUSS, EWI, ERO, DFE, IEV, ERUS, RSXJ, EWU, EU, EWL, EPV, EZU, SWZ, NORW, GF, EWD, EWQ, RBL, EPOL, DRR, PLND, DAX, EIRL, EWO, CEE, TRF, IRL, FEU, DXGE, HEWG, DBGR, GXF, EWN, GUR, EWK, EEA, EUFX, EURL, EWGS, FDD, ULE, PGAL, ESR, FEP, UPV, EDEN, DBEU
Mar. 20, 2015, 8:30 AM
- Now up 17% YTD, the Stoxx Europe 600 this week had its highest close since 2000, and is just 1% shy of its all-time high hit in March 2000.
- The big move has early-year bulls like Goldman Sachs and Citigroup scrambling to lift their year-end targets.
- "There’s something much more sustainable here,” says a strategist in London. “Sentiment was bearish in the eurozone for a long, long time. It’s just starting to change.” Indeed. Recent BAML fund manager surveys show bullishness on European stocks has reached uncharted territory.
- Previously: BAML survey: Fund managers move out of U.S. stocks (March 17)
- ETFs: VGK, EWG, FEZ, EWP, EWI, IEV, HEDJ, EPV, EZU, EWD, NORW, EWQ, EIRL, EWO, GXF, FEU, EWN, EWK, EDEN, FEP, EWGS, UPV, PGAL, EURL, DBGR, DAX, ENOR, ADRU, FEEU, DXGE, EFNL, FGM, DBEU, QDEU, IEUR, FIEU, HEWG, QESP, HEZU, ESTX, SBEU, FEUZ, DBEZ
Jan. 30, 2015, 5:41 AM
- Heightening the risk of a slide toward deflation, Eurostat today reported the largest decline in consumer prices in the eurozone since July 2009.
- Consumer prices were 0.6% lower than in January 2014, having fallen 0.2% on an annual basis in December.
- The plunge in consumer prices is unlikely to have an immediate effect on the ECB's €60B/month QE package, although the longer prices stay in negative territory, the more pressure the central bank will have to extend the program.
- FTSE 100 -0.6%; DAX -0.5%; CAC 40 -0.7%; Euro Stoxx 50 -0.5%.
- ETFs: EWG, GREK, EWI, EWL, EWD, EWQ, EPOL, PLND, EWO, EWN, EWK, EDEN, PGAL, DBGR, DAX, DXGE, EFNL, FGM, FSZ, QDEU, HEWG
Dec. 31, 2014, 11:34 AM
- Nearly all the ETFs involved are single-country funds, with 22 seeing reduced fees, and 19 increases. First up is the list of funds seeing cuts and the number of basis points:
- EWA 3 basis points, EWO 3 bps, EWC 3 bps, EWQ 3 bps, EWG 3 bps, EWH 3 bps, EWM 3 bps, EWS 3 bps, EWP 3 bps, EWD 3 bps, EWL 3 bps, ENZL 3 bps, EWU 3 bps, EWK 2 bps, EZU 2 bps, EWI 2 bps, EWJ 2 bps, SCJ 2 bps, EWW 2 bps, EWN 2 bps, EIRL 2 bps.
- Next are the funds with increases; all are by one basis point: EWZ, BKF, ECH, EEM, EIS, EZA, EWY, EWT, THD, TUR, ERUS, EPU, EWZS, MCHI, ECNS, INDA, EIDO, EPHE, EPOL.
- Previously: Vanguard lowers fees on 12 ETFs
Nov. 21, 2014, 7:27 AM
- "We will do what we must to raise inflation and inflation expectations as fast as possible," Mario Draghi told a banking conference, promising faster asset purchases as needed.
- The Stoxx 50 (NYSEARCA:FEZ) is higher by 2.2%, led by a 2.4% gain in Spain (NYSEARCA:EWP) and a 2.3% advance in Italy (NYSEARCA:EWI). Germany (NYSEARCA:EWG) and France (NYSEARCA:EWQ) are up 2%, and the U.K. by 1%.
- The euro (NYSEARCA:FXE) is down 0.9% and buying $1.2432.
- ETFs: VGK, FEZ, EWP, DFE, IEV, HEDJ, EWL, EPV, EZU, EWD, NORW, EIRL, EWO, FEU, EWN, EWK, EDEN, FEP, EWGS, UPV, EURL, ENOR, ADRU, FEEU, EFNL, GERJ, DBEU, EURZ, FSZ, IEUR, FIEU, QESP, SMEZ, ESTX, HEZU, FEUZ
Aug. 14, 2014, 6:46 AM
- Euro-Zone GDP failed to grow in the second quarter following 12 months of weak growth, causing European equity markets to fall and increasing pressure on the ECB to do more to boost growth and inflation.
- Data released this morning by the European Union's statistics office translates into 0.2% growth in annualized terms, down from the first quarter's 0.8% pace.
- The euro zone's three largest economies, which account for two-thirds of the region's €9.6T ($12.8T) GDP, all did not post any growth. German GDP shrank 0.2% from the first quarter and Italy's output fell at a similar pace. The French economy, the bloc's second largest behind Germany, stagnated for a second straight quarter.
- The region's next largest economies, Spain and the Netherlands, posted some growth but not enough to offset their larger peers.
- ETFs: FXE, RSX, VGK, EUO, EWG, FEZ, GREK, EWP, EWI, DFE, RUSL, ERO, RSXJ, IEV, ERUS, RUSS, EWL, HEDJ, EU, EWU, EPV, EUFN, EZU, EWD, NORW, EWQ, EPOL, EIRL, PLND, RBL, EWO, DRR, GXF, FEU, EWN, GUR, EWK, EDEN, FDD, EWGS, FEP, ESR, UPV, EUFX, PGAL, ULE, IFEU, DBGR, ENOR, ADRU, EWUS, EUDG, DXGE, FEEU, GERJ, URR, FGM, EFNL, EURL, FKU, FSZ, DXPS, RUDR, EURZ, DBEU, QDEU, IEUR, FIEU, EUMV, HEWG, SMEZ, QESP, DBUK, QGBR
Jun. 5, 2014, 7:55 AM
- The Stoxx 50 (FEZ) is up 0.8% after being about flat ahead of the ECB rate decision, at which the central bank cut all three of its benchmark rates, including taking the deposit facility rate into negative territory.
- Italy (EWI) with a 1.3% gain and France (EWQ) ahead 1% lead the way.
- The euro (FXE) tumbles about 40 pips, now off 0.3% on the session and buying $1.3563.
- Europe equity ETFs: RSX, VGK, EWG, FEZ, GREK, EWP, EWI, DFE, RUSL, IEV, RSXJ, EWL, ERUS, EWU, RUSS, EPV, EZU, EWD, HEDJ, NORW, EWQ, EPOL, EIRL, PLND, EWO, RBL, GXF, EWN, FEU, EWK, FDD, EWGS, FEP, EDEN, UPV, EWUS, DBGR, PGAL, ADRU, ENOR, GERJ, DXGE, FEEU, FGM, EURL, FKU, EFNL, EUDG, DXPS, FSZ, EURZ, FIEU, RUDR, DBEU, HEWG, DBUK
- Euro ETFs: FXE, EUO, ERO, DRR, EUFX, ULE, URR
- ECB chief Mario Draghi's press conference begins at 8:30 ET.
Jan. 16, 2012, 3:42 AMAs with EU shares, yields on many 10-year EU government bonds aren't reacting too drastically to S&P's ratings action. France +3 bps, Spain +4 bps, Italy +4 bps, Austria flat, Belgium +4 bps, Germany flat. | Jan. 16, 2012, 3:42 AM
Jan. 6, 2012, 8:19 AM
Italian, Spanish and Austrian government bond yields are higher ahead of auctions next week due to the usual worries over Greece, Spain and Hungary, although sentiment on the latter is improving. Despite ECB intervention, Italian 10-year yields +3 bps at 7.12%, Spain +5 bps at 5.68%, and Austria +12 bps at 3.49%.| Jan. 6, 2012, 8:19 AM
Nov. 28, 2011, 4:36 AMYields on 10-year eurozone government bonds are generally lower, although those of Germany are +6 bps to 2.32%. Italy -18 bps to 7.08%, Spain -5 bps to 6.65%, Belgium -1 bps to 5.86%, France -1 bps to 3.68%, Austria -2 bps to 3.83%. Italy and Belgium are due to hold bond auctions today. | Nov. 28, 2011, 4:36 AM
Nov. 25, 2011, 5:21 AM