Trying To Assess The EZCORP Black Box
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Yesterday, 5:43 PM
Wed, Aug. 17, 1:00 PM
Wed, Aug. 17, 9:46 AM
Mon, Aug. 15, 1:20 PM
Tue, Aug. 9, 11:41 PM
Thu, Jul. 7, 1:00 PM
Thu, Jul. 7, 12:45 PM
Wed, Jul. 6, 5:39 PM
Wed, Jul. 6, 4:37 PM
- The move is part of a three-year plan to narrow the company's focus to its U.S. and Mexico pawn business. Owned 94% by EZCORP (NASDAQ:EZPW), Grupo Finmart is a consumer lender in Mexico and Colombia. It's being sold for a base purchase price of $50M, and the buyer is AlphaCredit.
- After closing, 99% of company revenue will be generated by the pawn business in the U.S. and Mexico.
Thu, Jun. 2, 6:30 AM
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will release a set of sweeping proposals today aimed at reshaping the market for payday loans and other expensive credit that the agency and consumer advocates call "debt traps."
- The rules would limit the number of payday loans (which can carry interest rates as high as 390%) a consumer can take out, change how lenders collect payments and require them to do a more thorough review of borrowers' finances.
- Related tickers: EZPW, CSH, FCFS, QCCO
Wed, May 11, 10:39 AM
- Google has previously prohibited ads for illegal activities like selling guns, explosives, and drugs, but to this point it has never banned a broad category of financial products.
- Beginning July 13, consumers will still be able to find payday lenders on a Google search, but ads appearing on the top and right-hand side of results will not show marketing from the industry.
- "We’ll continue to review the effectiveness of this policy, but our hope is that fewer people will be exposed to misleading or harmful products," says Google global product policy director David Graff.
- Payday lenders already have a big regulatory target on their back, but this action from Google (combined with Facebook which already bans the ads) could have more impact.
- Of interest to: EZCORP (NASDAQ:EZPW), Cash America (NYSE:CSH), First Cash Financial (NASDAQ:FCFS), QC Holdings (NASDAQ:QCCO).
Tue, May 10, 12:47 PM
Mon, May 9, 11:05 PM
- EZCORP (NASDAQ:EZPW): FQ2 EPS of -$1.33 may not be comparable to consensus of -$0.07.
- Revenue of $201.89M (-1.6% Y/Y) beats by $7.73M.
Thu, Apr. 7, 12:09 PM
- There's no particular news evident, but pawn shop operators Ezcorp (EZPW +10%) and World Acceptance (WRLD +6.5%) are sharply higher for the session.
- Both are down in the area of 60% since the start of January 2015, so we'll call this a bear market bounce.
- Now read: EZCORP - Significantly Undervalued Or Value Trap? (April 5)
Tue, Feb. 9, 5:42 AM
- EZCORP (NASDAQ:EZPW): FQ1 EPS of -$0.13 misses by $0.07.
- Revenue of $198.5M (-6.7% Y/Y) misses by $20.53M.
Dec. 24, 2015, 10:48 AM
- EZCORP (NASDAQ:EZPW): FQ4 EPS of -$1.08 may not be comparable to consensus of $0.29.
- Revenue of $188.83M (-4.0% Y/Y) misses by $50.58M.
- Shares -4.75%.