There are no Transcripts on FAN.
at MarketWatch.com (May 1, 2013)
at MarketWatch.com (May 8, 2012)
at MarketWatch.com (Feb 1, 2011)
Fri, May. 2, 5:45 PM
- Offshore wind power is set to grow six-fold by 2020, benefiting turbine makers including Vestas Wind Systems (VWDRY, VWSYF) and Gamesa Tecnologica (GCTAF), HSBC says.
- Total global installed capacity of wind turbines at sea is forecast to rise to 43 gw by 2020 from 6.5 gw at the end of 2013, with the U.K., China and Germany the biggest offshore wind markets, according to HSBC.
- The opportunity for manufacturers justifies a strategic long-term focus on the offshore segment, the firm advises; after 2015, “the rapid growth in offshore installations becomes a key to driving growth in wind technology."
- ETF: FAN
Dec. 17, 2013, 3:24 PM
- Broadwind Energy (BWEN +14.4%) is set to be a major beneficiary of Siemens $1B-plus power contract with MidAmerican Energy, supplying the towers for the 448 wind turbines that will equip five wind power projects in Iowa.
- The move by Warren Buffett’s utility company shows how a drop in equipment costs is making renewable energy more competitive with power from fossil fuels - a boost for suppliers including BWEN, Siemens (SI), GE and Vestas (VWDRY, VWSYF), and a threat to coal miners (KOL).
- MidAmerican expects to close some coal-powered plants in 2015 as the price of wind power (FAN) continues to slide, an exec says.
Sep. 26, 2013, 5:40 PM
- Danish wind-turbine maker Vestas Wind Systems' (VWDRY.PK) major supply deal with Duke Energy (DUK), announced earlier today, may be a sign the U.S. wind-power market may be gaining steam.
- Vestas will supply 400 MW of power-generating turbines for two wind farms DUK plans to build near Brownsville, Tex., and sell the electricity to municipal utility Austin Energy under two 25-year contracts.
- After a slow start this year, the U.S. wind power market has been picking up as utilities look to sign new contracts for renewable energy, says Chris Brown, president of Vestas' U.S. business.
- Vestas' ADRs +7.5% today; DUK +0.6%.
- ETF: FAN.
Apr. 5, 2013, 2:30 PMTop German utilities EON and RWE are set to significantly pare back their alternative energy spending, actions bound to further weaken demand in a top solar market that has already been hurt by subsidy cuts. EON plans to lower its clean-energy investments to less than €1B in 2015 from €1.79B in 2012, and RWE plans to cut its annual renewable energy spending by roughly half over the next two years to €500M. | Comment!
Feb. 26, 2013, 3:57 PMPowerShares has shuttered 13 ETFs, representing less than 1% of the issuer's AUM, as of today's close. Affected funds follow (with competing funds in parentheses): PIC (KIE, IAK, KBWP, KBWI), PYH, PJB (IAT, KBE, KRE, RKH, QABA, KRU, KRS, KBWR), PSTL (SLX), PLK, PWND (FAN), PMA, PKOL (KOL), PKN (NLR, NUCL, URA), PTO, PAO, PCA and CVRT. (pdf) | Comment!
Jan. 10, 2013, 2:18 PM
Nov. 28, 2012, 9:50 AMWind power generation topped 10K MW in the Midwest electrical grid on Friday, the first time it has surpassed the milestone. The amount represented 25% of the electricity being used at the time. Wind capacity has ballooned in the area, which is covered by the Midwest Independent Transmission System Operator, since 2006. | 7 Comments
Sep. 28, 2012, 3:01 PMThe President blocks Chinese-owned Ralls Corp. (subsidiary of Sany Group) from ownership of 4 wind farms near a U.S. Navy base in Oregon, the first time in 2 decades such an action has been taken on national security grounds. An earlier committee ruling had also blocked the transaction, but - until the President's action - it was thought some sort of accommodation would be reached. | Comment!
Sep. 28, 2012, 9:41 AMThe U.S. wind turbine market could blow away without continuation of a politically charged tax credit, a top official of Danish turbine maker Vestas (VWDRY.PK) tells FT, warning of 75%-95% shrinkage in the U.S. market for wind power if the tax credit for wind power is allowed to expire at the end of the year. | 7 Comments
Aug. 28, 2012, 9:47 AMSiemens (SI), GE and start-up backed by Bill Gates are among those developing different methods for storing surplus energy. It's not just about batteries, with one technique using excess electricity to pump compressed air into caves and then releasing that air to generate power when needed. The storage is needed to cope with the vagaries of solar and wind energy. | 16 Comments
Aug. 9, 2012, 8:09 AM
Aug. 8, 2012, 10:01 AMData for the construction of power generation facilities in H1 paints a stark picture of the ascendance of natural gas, with 3,708 MW gas-fired plants built, 2,367 MW of wind farms developed, and 1,608 MW of coal stations constructed. Gas provides 41.8% of U.S. electricity, coal 29.7%, nuclear 9.2%, water 8.7%, wind 4.3%, geothermal 0.3%, and solar 0.3%. | Comment!
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:11 PMFirst Solar (FSLR +6%) jumps after the White House announces it will expedite seven solar and wind projects, including First Solar's Silver State South Nevada project. Wind turbine component maker American Superconductor (AMSC +7.6%) is also among the day's big winners. FSLR is now up 36% since it delivered a huge Q2 beat, but remains down sharply on the year. | 6 Comments
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:26 PMJust one unconditional order was made for offshore wind turbines in H1, three less than the same period in 2011. The financial crisis has curbed lending, while delays in connecting existing farms to the grid have prompted utilities to hold off on new projects. Those losing out include Siemens (SI), which has suffered writedowns on offshore projects, and GE. | 2 Comments
Jul. 12, 2012, 6:39 PMGlobal clean energy investments totaled $59.6B in Q2, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance - up 24% Q/Q but down 18% Y/Y. Chinese investments soared 92% Q/Q, as the government does whatever it can to support the industry, while U.S. and Euro investments respectively rose 18% and 11%. Solar investments rose 19%, and wind investments 47%. The higher solar spending hasn't yet managed to create a bottom for struggling manufacturers, though some think one will soon arrive. | 3 Comments
Jun. 11, 2012, 12:10 PMVestas (VWDRY.PK) CEO Ditlev Engel yesterday said the U.S. wind turbine market is expected to fall 80% in 2013, due to the looming expiry of the production tax credit (PTC) at the end of 2012. That could endanger the jobs of Vestas' 3,500 U.S. employees. Still, the prospect of the expiry has led to increased business this year. | 1 Comment
FAN vs. ETF Alternatives
First Trust ISE Global Wind Energy Index Fund is an exchange-traded fund. The investment objective of the Fund is to seek investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield, before the Fund's fees and expenses, of an equity index called the ISE Global Wind Energy Index. This exchange-traded fund seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield (before the Fund's fees and expenses) of the ISE Global Wind Energy Index.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR