Look At Fuel Cell Energy To Take Advantage Of The Energy Revolution
Mike Hathaway • 138 Comments
Mike Hathaway • 138 Comments
Sep. 9, 2014, 9:24 AM
Sep. 9, 2014, 7:54 AM| Sep. 9, 2014, 7:54 AM
Sep. 8, 2014, 6:22 PM
- FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL): FQ3 EPS of -$0.03 in-line.
- Revenue of $43.17M (-19.6% Y/Y) misses by $10.47M.
Sep. 8, 2014, 5:35 PM
Sep. 7, 2014, 5:35 PM
Sep. 5, 2014, 9:02 AM
- FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) +3.2% premarket after announcing a $7.5M cost-shared award by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Fossil Energy to enhance the performance and durability of its solid oxide fuel cell technology.
- The project is focused on performance, reliability and reduction in cost of the SOFC cell and stack technology through improvements in cell materials, stack designs and manufacturing quality.
Aug. 28, 2014, 11:01 AM
- FuelCell Energy (FCEL -1.2%) is making progress in stage three of its carbon capture project, which separates carbon dioxide from emissions of coal-fired power plants.
- The company was awarded the contract from the Department of Energy in 2011, and has received $1.2M from the government to fund this stage of the project.
- Study findings have so far shown that the fuel cell stack capture system is more effective than current systems in place because it not only captures CO2 emissions from power plants but it also produces additional power.
- FuelCell believes the new system could meet the DOE's carbon capture cost goal of $40 per ton for commercial applications.
Aug. 20, 2014, 3:41 PM
- FuelCell Energy (FCEL -7.1%) is slammed by a variety of factors, particularly remarks from a Toyota exec at the JPMorgan Auto Conference who said filling up a tank of vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells could cost $50, nearly twice as expensive as gasoline.
- Also, a StreetSweeper article predicts "stubborn challenges" ahead for FCEL, including the likely loss of its biggest customer, an inability to scale, and "if FCEL is really on the verge of profitability, why does it keep selling shares?"
- Finally, Jim Cramer told his Mad Money audience that he would stay away from the stock: “These are just total rank speculation stories. I can’t go there.”
Aug. 14, 2014, 12:35 PM
- Plug Power's (PLUG +4.1%) Q2 results, which included revenues that more than doubled and beating analyst consensus, are sparking a rally in alternative energy stocks.
- PLUG reported a 17% gross margin in its product business and says it expects gross margin in the area to reach the mid-20s in Q4.
- CEO Andy Marsh says in this morning's earnings conference call that the company and customers seeing far fewer problems with PLUG's newer units than with older ones.
- Results impress Cowen analysts, noting PLUG's installation of the first GenKey site for Wal-Mart’s Pottstown, Pa., distribution center, and anticipating continued sequential growth through the year.
- FCEL +7.1%, BLDP +2%, ZBB +4.3%, CPST +4%.
Aug. 12, 2014, 5:59 PM
- FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) +3.1% AH after shares are upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform with a $3 price target at Cowen.
- The analysts believe FCEL has made strong progress in reducing its fuel cell technology and manufacturing costs; the unsubsidized cost of energy from FCEL’s typical 2.8 MW plant is now down to ~$0.13/kWh, and the levelized cost drops to $0.09-$0.11/kWh when including benefits from Investment Tax Credit and state-level incentives, "increasingly attractive relative to several states’ baseload pricing, and able to compete with intermittent renewable sources."
- With continued cost improvements and ramping production levels, Cowen thinks FCEL "is well on its way to becoming EBITDA positive by mid-FY 2015 at the latest."
Jul. 31, 2014, 8:46 AM
- FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) +5.1% premarket on news that NRG Energy (NYSE:NRG) is providing financial assistance, including the purchase of $35M in FCEL common stock and establishment of a new $40M revolving construction and term loan facility to use for project development.
- After the sale of 14.6M common shares to NRG at $2.39/share, NRG now owns ~17M FCEL shares for a total 6% stake.
Jul. 23, 2014, 8:46 AM
- Ballard Power Systems (NASDAQ:BLDP) +4.1% premarket after signing an agreement to supply fuel cells to bus manufacturer New Flyer Industries (OTC:NFYEF).
- BLDP says the deal is the first next-generation FCvelocity-HD7 fuel cell power module to a North American bus manufacturer; delivery is planned for later this year.
- Alternative energy names posted sharp gains yesterday, and some look strong in the premarket today: FCEL +4.4%, PLUG +3.5%, GRH +2.7%.
Jul. 22, 2014, 2:31 PM
- GE's (GE -0.2%) plan to build a new fuel-cell manufacturing facility in upstate New York to improve the production of fuel cells that run on natural gas isn't lifting its own shares, but it seems to be providing a big boost to fuel-cell stocks and other alternative energy names.
- FuelCell Energy (FCEL +14.5%) is soaring after Germany’s Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy awarded it and a joint venture partner €5M (~$6.7M) in a project to increase power density and the operating life of fuel cells, which would cut costs.
- Ocean Power Tech (OPTT +35.3%) is exploding higher today with no company specific news to account for the strength, and water management solutions provider GreenHunter Resources (GRH +13.8%) is up sharply on MLP news.
- Also rising: PLUG +6.9%, BLDP +5.8%, ZBB +4.8%, CBAK +2.3%, CPST +5.1%.
Jul. 22, 2014, 12:47 PM
Jul. 22, 2014, 8:09 AM
- FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) +5% premarket on news its German affiliate received nearly €5M in awards from the government to support a three-year research and development project targeting enhancements to Direct FuelCell technology by increasing power density and operating life of the fuel cells, leading to lower costs.
- The research is being performed in Germany by FCEL at an existing facility in Ottobrunn and by joint venture partner Fraunhofer IKTS at a facility located in Dresden.
- Also: PLUG +3.8%, KNDI +2.9%, BLDP +2.2%, ZBB +1.8%.
Jul. 18, 2014, 12:25 PM
- Roth Capital says it is more confident that Plug Power (PLUG +3.1%) can meet its 2014 revenue guidance and bookings target after meeting with company management.
- The firm says PLUG appears to be looking to deploy its products at four locations during the current quarter, leaving it well positioned to ship more units than expected; an increase in shipments also will raise its product gross margins.
- Roth believes PLUG is reaching a positive turning point with its large customers, but it remains concerned about its valuation and keeps a Neutral rating on the shares.
- FCEL +1%, BLDP +1.6%, ZBB +1.9%.
FuelCell Energy, Inc. designs, manufactures, sells, installs and services stationary fuel cell power plants for distributed power generation. The company provides services in two primary markets which include ultra-clean power and renewable power markets. Its ultra-clean power market engages in... More
Sector: Industrial Goods
Industry: Industrial Electrical Equipment
Country: United States
Other News & PR