Oct. 13, 2014, 4:19 PM
- Both equity and mortgage REITs saw plenty of buying as nearly all of the rest of the market was lit up bright red, and Treasury ETFs signaled a sharp drop in yields when government bonds reopen for trade tomorrow (closed this session for Columbus Day).
- A sampling of equity names: Senior Housing Properties (SNH +1.2%), Medical Properties Trust (MPW +1.4%), Gramercy Property Trust (GPT +1.7%), Equity Residential (EQR +0.7%), Inland Real Estate (IRC +0.9%), Sovran Self Storage (SSS +1.1%), Highwoods Properties Trust (HIW +1%).
- One equity REIT sector in the red along with the rest of the market is lodging amid worsening Ebola fears: Ashford Hospitality Trust (AHT -2.9%), Sunshine Hotel Investors (SHO -1.4%), LaSalle Hotel Properties (LHO -1.5%), Summit Hotel Properties (INN -1.5%).
- Mortgage REITs: American Capital Agency (AGNC +1.4%), CYS Investments (CYS +2.2%), Invesco (IVR +1.1%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE +1.5%), Western Asset (WMC +1.1%).
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, REM, MORL, MORT, DRN, URE, REZ, SRS, RWR, SCHH, ICF, ROOF, DRV, KBWY, RTL, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, IFNA, FNIO, WREI
Jul. 10, 2014, 10:17 AM
- Working today as both stock and bond yields fall in response to banking troubles in Portugal are both equity and mortgage REIT names.
- Leading in the mortgage REIT sector are Annaly (NLY +0.8%) and American Capital Agency (AGNC +0.8%), and a sampling of equity REIT names: Realty Income (O +0.6%), Omega Healthcare (OHI +1%), Ventas (VTR +1.2%), Medical Properties (MPW +1%), Avalon Bay (AVB +0.5%), Simon Property (SPG +0.8%), Boston Properties (BXP +0.8%)
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, DRN, URE, SRS, ICF, RWR, SCHH, DRV, KBWY, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, FNIO, WREI, REM, MORL, MORT
Jan. 31, 2014, 10:26 AM
- Working today - and for the whole month of January - as the broader market sells off are the REITs. The sector - both the equity REITs and mREITs - had been punished in 2013 as rates moved higher starting last May, but another four basis point decline this morning brings the 10-year Treasury yield down to 2.66% after starting the year at about 3%.
- At least for the mREITs, nearly all put in what may turn out to be major bottoms late in 2013 amid jitters over year-end tax-loss selling and the commencement of the taper - sell the rumor, buy the news ... indeed.
- Mortgage REITs: Annaly (NLY +1.1%) +7.4% YTD, American Capital (AGNC +1.3%) +9.1%, Invesco (IVR +0.5%) +6.7%, Anworth (ANH +0.6%) +10.9%, Apollo Residential (AMTG +0.7%) +9.1%, AG Mortgage Investment (MITT +0.6%) +5.6%.
- ETFs: REM, MORT, MORL
- Equity players: Realty Income (O +0.5%) +9.6% YTD, National Retail (NNN +0.7%) +9.8%, AvalonBay (AVB +0.8%) +4.1%, Public Storage (PSA +0.6%) +4.9%, Boston Properties (BXP +0.2%) +7.8%, Liberty Trust (LRY +1%) +7.9%.
- Related ETFs: IYR, VNQ, REM, DRN, REZ, URE, SRS, RWR, ICF, SCHH, DRV, ROOF, KBWY, RTL, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, FNIO, WREI
Jan. 10, 2014, 2:44 PM
- The broad averages are struggling following the jobs number, but the big decline in interest rates (the 10-year Treasury is now off 10 bps to 2.87%) has the equity REIT sector lit up bright green.
- Ventas (VTR +4.4%) is having the biggest day, continuing to cruise through a couple of early-year downgrades (latest was Barclays on Wednesday). Among those also higher: National Retail Properties (NNN +3.1%), Realty Income (O +1.6%), Health Care REIT (HCN +2.5%), HCP (HCP +3.8%), RAIT Finanical (RAS +1.4%), Apartment Investment (AIV +2.9%), General Growth (GGP +1.6%), Inland Real Estate (IRC +1.5%), Government Properties (GOV +1.6%), American Campus (ACC +1.7%).
- Relevant ETFs: IYR, VNQ, REM, DRN, REZ, URE, SRS, RWR, ICF, SCHH, DRV, ROOF, KBWY, RTL, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, FNIO, WREI
The iShares FTSE NAREIT Industrial/Office Capped Index Fund seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of the FTSE NAREIT Industrial/Office Capped Index.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR