Wed, Nov. 9, 10:51 AM
- Gold has pared early gains approaching 5%, now just +1% at $1,287.70/oz., with silver +1.5% at $18.64/oz., but precious metals mining stocks continue to enjoy strong gains.
- “The market is telling you that the mining sector is the biggest beneficiary of a Trump election, particularly precious metals,” says Investec Securities analyst Jeremy Wrathall.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX +3.5%, NEM +4.3%, GG +5.6%, AEM +4.2%, SLW +3.4%, KGC +4.2%, RGLD +5.1%, EGO +3.8%, NG +5.8%, GOLD +5%, GFI +5.5%, AU +4.5%, HMY +5.9%, SBGL +7.1%, FNV +3.8%, AUY +5.3%, IAG +4.6%, BTG +6.3%, NGD +7.6%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, GGN, DUST, PSLV, SIL, PHYS, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, GLDX, UGL, DGP, GTU, UGLD, GLL, DZZ, SLVO, SGDM, GLDI, ASA, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, RING, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, PSAU, TGLDX, GYEN, USV, GEUR, UBG, GDXX, GDXS
Tue, Nov. 8, 6:54 AM
Mon, Nov. 7, 10:35 PM
Sun, Nov. 6, 5:35 PM
- ACAD, ACXM, ADUS, AKAO, ALB, ALGN, AMC, ANDE, APEI, APLE, ARNA, BIOS, CHGG, CKEC, CRAY, CST, CTLT, CUTR, CZR, DEPO, DMD, DTLK, DTSI, EBS, EDIT, ENV, EPM, FANG, FARM, FICO, FN, FNV, FOGO, FRGI, FSM, FTD, HALO, HCKT, HTZ, IAG, IFF, JKHY, JPEP, KND, LSCC, LYV, MAR, MATX, MCHP, MODN, MXL, NCMI, NEWR, NH, NVGS, NVRO, NWSA, OAS, OMF, OPK, ORA, OUT, PACD, PCLN, PINC, PKI, PRAA, PTLA, RARE, REN, RMTI, RRR, RST, RTEC, RWT, SCSC, SGY, SITE, SNCR, SNHY, TCX, TDW, TREX, TSLX, ZGNX
Tue, Oct. 4, 2:20 PM
- Precious metals miners are slammed as gold prices dip well below $1,300/oz. to settle at $1,269.70, its lowest since the U.K.'s Brexit vote in June, as upbeat U.S. manufacturing data yesterday has stoked expectations of higher interest rates.
- Gold is “falling off the cliff,” says Naeem Aslam, chief market analyst at ThinkMarkets. “Traders are buying the equity market with both hands, especially over in the U.K.” as the British pound declines.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX -9.2%, KGC -10.4%, GG -7.8%, NEM -8.7%, EGO -7.4%, RGLD -7.8%, AEM -8.9%, NG -9.7%, SLW -9.1%, FNV -5.6%, IAG -11.2%, GOLD -8.1%, AU -9.3%, GFI -6.4%, SBGL -8.1%, HMY -9.9%, AUY -11.6%, BTG -9.3%, NGD -6.6%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, SILJ, RING, PSAU, SGDJ, TGLDX, GDJJ, GDXX, GDXS
Wed, Sep. 21, 5:55 PM
- Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) was today's best-performing stock in the S&P 500 and precious metals miners gained across the board, enjoying a big boost from the Fed’s decision to keep interest rates unchanged.
- NEM even outperformed the VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (NYSEARCA:GDX) - +7.5% vs. +7% - and Credit Suisse analysts say business in looking up for the miner, as NEM continues to meet or beat cost and production targets, as well as strengthen its portfolio.
- The firm adds that NEM believes shareholders appreciate its predictability, discipline and defining growth based on free cash flow rather than production.
- Also today: ABX +8.6%, GG +7%, AEM +7.1%, EGO +5.7%, KGC +7.6%, SLW +7.8%, FNV +4.8%, RGLD +9.6%, IAG +7.9%, GOLD +4.7%, AU +10.4%, GFI +9%, SBGL +9.5%, HMY +11.8%, AUY +7.6%, BTG +6.3%, NG +8.1%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXX, GDXS
Tue, Sep. 13, 8:47 AM
Fri, Sep. 9, 2:58 PM
- Franco-Nevada (FNV -3.8%) is upgraded to Hold from Sell with a $74 price target, lifted from $62, at Deutsche Bank, which cites FNV's proven low cost of equity.
- Deutsche Bank analysts say royalty/streaming companies are sensitive to interest rates, and combined with the company's proven low cost of equity, the firm now applies 4.5% (previously 5.5%) as a weighted average cost of capital - lower than Silver Wheaton (5%) - to recognize FNV's greater diversity of assets and commodities, and the royalty/stream split.
- FNV boasts a strong business model, but the firm thinks this is fairly reflected in the share price.
Wed, Aug. 24, 2:30 PM
- Shares of gold miners are sharply lower as gold futures fall 1.2% to settle at a one-month low $1,329.70/oz., closing below its 50-day moving average for the first time since June 7.
- The top gold miners ETF (GDX -6.3%) trades well below its 50-day moving average of $29.09 and is on pace for its first four-day losing streak since early November.
- Investors are dialing down bullish bets on gold ahead of Friday's scheduled remarks from Janet Yellen, says Peter Hug, global trading director at Kitco Metals.
- Among top mining stocks: ABX -8.4%, NEM -6.7%, GG -8.7%, KGC -9%, AEM -6.3%, SLW -7.3%, RGLD -7.3%, EGO -7.2%, GFI -5.1%, AUY -8.8%, GOLD -5%, HMY -5.7%, SBGL -4.9%, IAG -8.7%, BTG -6.9%, NG -7.3%, FNV -6%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, UGL, DGP, UGLD, GLL, DZZ, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, DGL, RING, DGZ, DGLD, PSAU, TGLDX, UBG, GDXX, GDXS
Tue, Aug. 9, 12:18 PM
- Franco-Nevada (FNV +2.5%) pushes higher after reporting better than expected Q2 earnings and hitting new records for revenues and gold-equivalent ounce production.
- FNV says Q2 revenue rose 38% Y/Y to $151M, resulting in adjusted EBITDA to rise 45% to $119M, as gold equiv. production rose 36% to nearly 113K oz.
- FNV says it expects to be close to the top end of previously provided guidance ranges for 2016, and is seeing renewed activity and "good news" at many of its non-producing advanced and exploration assets.
Mon, Aug. 8, 4:45 PM
Sun, Aug. 7, 5:35 PM
- AMPH, APLE, ARNA, ATSG, BKD, BLCM, BOJA, BWXT, CAI, CC, CLDX, CLNY, CLVS, CPE, CSC, CSLT, CUI, CVG, DTSI, DVA, EGN, EGY, ELNK, ENDP, ENV, FNV, HTZ, ICUI, IFF, IPHI, JPEP, KITE, LC, LXU, MAIN, MBI, MCHP, MODN, MTW, MXL, NCMI, NILE, NPTN, NUAN, NVGS, NVRO, NWSA, ONDK, OPK, OTTR, PFSW, PHH, PKY, PNM, PNNT, PRAA, PRI, RARE, RAX, RBA, RBC, REN, RMTI, ROG, RPD, RSPP, RWT, SHO, SINA, SREV, TUBE, TVIA, TWLO, VSLR, WB, WBMD, ZLTQ
Tue, Jul. 19, 3:47 PM
- Newmont Mining (NEM -0.5%) is the only gold miner worthy of a Buy rating, according to Deutsche Bank analysts Jorge Beristain and Chris Terry, citing balance sheet flexibility, production growth and attractive valuation.
- In its Q2 earnings preview for the sector, the firm forecasts aggregate EBITDA among major precious metals miners to remain largely flat Q/Q at ~$2.5B as higher gold and silver prices were offset by ~3% lower production, particularly for Goldcorp (GG -1.8%).
- Beristain and Terry suggest avoiding GG, Franco-Nevada (FNV -0.3%) and Coeur Mining (CDE -2.8%), relative to the sector, but note that valuations generally are rising.
Fri, Jun. 24, 8:48 AM
- While stock futures remain under tremendous pressure following the Brexit vote, gold miner shares are soaring in premarket action, as the added uncertainty in the global economy sparks a surge in gold prices.
- The Gold Miners ETF (NYSEARCA:GDX) +9.5% premarket, putting it on course to open at the highest level since July 2014; among GDX's components, Newmont Mining +7.7% toward a three-year high even though NEM derived 64.1% of its revenue over the last 12 months from the U.K., according to FactSet.
- Among other GDX members, Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) +7.5%, Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) +9.6% and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) +7.2%.
- Also premarket: KGC +8.9%, GOLD +11.6%, GFI +11.8%, RGLD +10.6%, HMY +11%, SBGL +12.4%, AEM +8.4%, SLW +5.6%, PAAS +6.1%, EGO +8.3%, NG +8.9%, IAG +8.4%, FNV +5%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXX, GDXS
Mon, Jun. 20, 10:22 AM
- Gold futures -0.8% at ~$1,284/oz. after weekend polls showed a higher likelihood that the U.K. would vote to stay in the European Union.
- “This is a market that’s going to be very emotional this week” ahead of the June 23 referendum, says Peter Hug, global trading director at Kitco Metals, who believes that broader economic concerns and low interest rates will continue to support gold prices regardless of the Brexit outcome.
- Gold has risen 21% YTD amid worries over global growth and as the Fed has pushed back plans to raise short-term interest rates.
- Precious metals miners are among the biggest losers in early trading: ABX -3.8%, GG -2.4%, NEM -2.5%, AEM -1.6%, KGC -4.4%, SLW -1.7%, PAAS -2.7%, RGLD -0.8%, EGO -1.4%, NG -1.6%, GFI -4.8%, AUY -1.4%, IAG -1.8%, FNV -1%, HMY -2.3%, SBGL -2.6%, OTCPK:NCMGY -5%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, GGN, DUST, PSLV, SIL, PHYS, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, GLDX, UGL, DGP, GTU, UGLD, GLL, DZZ, SLVO, SGDM, GLDI, ASA, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, RING, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, PSAU, TGLDX, GYEN, USV, GEUR, UBG
Fri, Jun. 3, 3:58 PM
- Gold miner stocks are skyrocketing, with the sector enjoying its best day in nearly seven years, as the disappointing May jobs report helped spark a strong rally in the yellow metal.
- The VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX +11.1%) surged more than 10% on heavy volume, and all 24 of the ETF’s U.S. equity components traded higher, with 10 of them enjoying double-digit percentage gains.
- In today's trade: ABX +12.9%, NEM +9.5%, GG +7.7%, AEM +11.1%, OTCPK:NCMGY +10.7%, KGC +15.4%, SLW +9%, FNV +9.1%, RGLD +9.4%, EGO +9.8%, GFI +13.7%, SBGL +8.2%, HMY +13%, IAG +16.4%, AU +14.4%, GOLD +8.6%, AUY +13.9%, NGD +9.6%, HL +12.1%, CDE +11.6%, TAHO +10.8%, NG +12.2%, AG +12.3%, PAAS +8.9%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, SGDJ, TGLDX, GDXX, GDJJ, GDXS, GDJS