Francesca's Holdings Corp.NASDAQ
Francesca's Holdings: Under The Masks - Problems Then, Now And Ahead
Jenks Jumps • 19 Comments
Jenks Jumps • 19 Comments
Thu, Jun. 9, 9:11 AM
Thu, Jun. 9, 7:45 AM
- Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN) reports comparable-store sales rose 2% in Q1 driven by an increase in the number of transactions both at the boutiques and on-line.
- Ecommerce comparable sales increased 38% for the period.
- Merchandise category sales: Apparel: $54.89M (+14%); Jewelry: $24.06M (+10%); Accessories: $16.05M (+4%); Gifts and home: $11.33M (+15%).
- Gross margin rate decreased 100 bps to 46.3%.
- SG&A expense rate expanded 80 bps to 35.5%.
- Operating margin rate dropped 170 bps to 10.8%.
- Inventory +10.8% Y/Y to $34.8M.
- Boutique count +30 Q/Q to 646.
- Q2 Guidance: Net sales: $106M to $110M; Comparable-store sales: mid-single digit decrease; EPS: $0.16 to $0.19; New boutiques: 15 to 20.
- FY2016 Guidance: Net sales: $460M to $480M; Comparable-store sales: flat to a low-single digit decrease; EPS: $0.86 to $0.96; Shares outstanding: 39.6M; Tax rate: 37.8%; Capital expenditure: $28M to $31M; New boutiques: 50 to 60.
Thu, Jun. 9, 7:34 AM
- Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN): Q1 EPS of $0.18 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $106.1M (+11.7% Y/Y) misses by $0.66M.
Wed, Jun. 8, 5:30 PM
Tue, May 17, 12:47 PM
Tue, May 17, 9:45 AM
- Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN) plunges after CEO and Chairman Michael Barnes resigns for personal reasons. The company’s former lead director, Richard Kunes, will take over as interim chairman and CEO.
- The company also discloses that it expects FQ1 EPS of $0.17 vs. $0.20 consensus.
- Shares of the retailer are down 28% to $10.71 in early trading.
Tue, May 17, 9:20 AM
Tue, May 10, 2:58 PM
- Gap's (GPS -12%) weak report on April sales, which followed shortly after an eye-opening read from L Brands (LB -1.2%), has investors skittish on the apparel store stocks.
- Sector decliners today include Francesca's (FRAN -3.4%), Stein Mart (SMRT -3.5%), Ascena Retail (ASNA -3%), Express (EXPR -2.2%), Buckle, Cato (CATO -2.1%), Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF -2%), Amercan Eagle Outfitters (AEO -2%), Tailored Brands (TLRD -1.3%), and Urban Outfitters (URBN -1.5%)
- Analysts are warning that the lack of overall sales volume and the closing of Aeropostale stores could continue to add to the promotional atmosphere.
- In another sign of the problem that apparel stores are having in driving sales with millennials, the new Global X Millennials Thematic ETF (NASDAQ:MILN) has a top holding of Amazon and very little representation of apparel chain stock stocks (LULU and LB make the list).
Thu, May 5, 10:59 AM
- Apparel store stocks trade lower after one of its stalwarts takes it on the chin. L Brands (NYSE:LB) is down 10.5% with even the resilient Victoria's Secret business showing signs of weakness.
- Notable decliners include Urban Outfitters (URBN -3.4%), Guess (GES -3.7%), Francesca's (FRAN -1.8%), Gap (GPS -2.6%), Genesco (GCO -2.8%), Ascena Retail Group (ASNA -3%), Express (EXPR -2%), and Chico's FAS (CHS -2.4%).
- Buckle (BKE -5.8%) and Abercombie & Fitch (ANF -4.5%) are also down, with the former reporting weak April sale and the latter losing an exec on top of the L Brands development.
Wed, Apr. 13, 10:54 AM
- Wolfe Research upgrades Francesca's (FRAN +4.1%) to an Outperform rating on a valuation call.
- The investment firm thinks some of the momentum the retailer generated in Q4 will continue this year.
- Management pushed the right levers at the company to generate more transactions at a higher average price, not the easiest task in the mall retailer sector.
- Now read Francesca's Holdings: Still Plenty To Prove
Wed, Mar. 23, 7:56 AM
- Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN) reports comparable-store sales rose 11% in Q4 due to increases in comparable transactions and average transaction value.
- Direct-to-consumer sales increased 38% to $6.1M.
- Merchandise category sales: Apparel: $53.43M (+35%); Jewelry: $29.66M (+23%); Accessories: $24.28M (+8%); Gifts: $26.62M (+26%).
- Gross margin rate increased 340 bps to 49.1%.
- SG&A expense rate -460 bps to 31.2%.
- Adjusted operating margin rate grew 410 bps to 18.4%.
- Inventory +32.5% Y/Y to $31.54M.
- Boutique count -3 Q/Q to 616.
- Q1 Guidance: Net sales: $108M to $112M; Comparable-store sales: mid-single digit increase; EPS: $0.17 to $0.20; New boutiques: 20 to 25.
- FY2016 Guidance: Net sales: $474M to $494M; Comparable-store sales: low-single digit increase; EPS: $0.93 to $1.03; Shares outstanding: 40.2M; Tax rate: 38.1%; Capital expenditure: $28M to $31M; New boutiques: 50 to 60.
- FRAN -4.84% premarket.
Wed, Mar. 23, 7:31 AM
- Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN): Q4 EPS of $0.36 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $134.61M (+25.1% Y/Y) beats by $2.58M.
Tue, Mar. 22, 5:30 PM
Wed, Jan. 13, 10:48 AM
Thu, Jan. 7, 9:08 AM
- Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN) lifts guidance after factoring in holiday sales.
- The company now sees Q4 sales of $130M to $133M off a high single-digit comp. Prior guidance was for sales of $127M to $130M.
- EPS guidance from the retailer is raised to $0.32-$0.34 vs. $0.31-$0.33 prior and $0.32 consensus.
- Management says the retailer's assortment was on trend this year.
- FRAN +3.44% premarket to $18.62.
Dec. 9, 2015, 7:55 AM
- Francesca's (NASDAQ:FRAN) reports comparable-store sales rose 4% in Q3 due to an increase in average transaction value Y/Y.
- Direct-to-consumer sales increased 12% to $3.8M.
- Merchandise category sales: Apparel: $54.3348.17M (+23%); Jewelry: $21.27M (+14%); Accessories: $17.08M (+20%); Gifts: $10.85M (+13%).
- Gross margin rate dropped 70 bps to 46.6%.
- Operating margin rate decreased 240 bps to 10.7%.
- Inventory +23.9% Y/Y to $43.89M.
- Boutique count +11 Q/Q to 619.
- Q4 Guidance: Net sales: $127M to $130M; Comparable-store sales: mid-single digit increase; EPS: $0.31 to $0.33; New boutiques: 3.
- FY2015 Guidance: Net sales: $432M to $435M; Comparable-store sales: flat to slightly positive; EPS: $0.86 to $0.88; Shares outstanding: 42.1M; Tax rate: 38.1%; Capital expenditure: $25M to $26M; Total boutiques: 616.