Today, 2:30 PM
- Shares of gold miners are sharply lower as gold futures fall 1.2% to settle at a one-month low $1,329.70/oz., closing below its 50-day moving average for the first time since June 7.
- The top gold miners ETF (GDX -6.3%) trades well below its 50-day moving average of $29.09 and is on pace for its first four-day losing streak since early November.
- Investors are dialing down bullish bets on gold ahead of Friday's scheduled remarks from Janet Yellen, says Peter Hug, global trading director at Kitco Metals.
- Among top mining stocks: ABX -8.4%, NEM -6.7%, GG -8.7%, KGC -9%, AEM -6.3%, SLW -7.3%, RGLD -7.3%, EGO -7.2%, GFI -5.1%, AUY -8.8%, GOLD -5%, HMY -5.7%, SBGL -4.9%, IAG -8.7%, BTG -6.9%, NG -7.3%, FNV -6%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, UGL, DGP, UGLD, GLL, DZZ, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, DGL, RING, DGZ, DGLD, PSAU, TGLDX, UBG, GDXX, GDXS
Fri, Aug. 19, 5:15 PM
Fri, Jul. 29, 6:16 PM
Fri, Jul. 8, 4:27 PM
Fri, Jun. 24, 4:19 PM
Fri, Jun. 24, 8:48 AM
- While stock futures remain under tremendous pressure following the Brexit vote, gold miner shares are soaring in premarket action, as the added uncertainty in the global economy sparks a surge in gold prices.
- The Gold Miners ETF (NYSEARCA:GDX) +9.5% premarket, putting it on course to open at the highest level since July 2014; among GDX's components, Newmont Mining +7.7% toward a three-year high even though NEM derived 64.1% of its revenue over the last 12 months from the U.K., according to FactSet.
- Among other GDX members, Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) +7.5%, Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) +9.6% and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) +7.2%.
- Also premarket: KGC +8.9%, GOLD +11.6%, GFI +11.8%, RGLD +10.6%, HMY +11%, SBGL +12.4%, AEM +8.4%, SLW +5.6%, PAAS +6.1%, EGO +8.3%, NG +8.9%, IAG +8.4%, FNV +5%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXX, GDXS
Mon, Jun. 20, 10:22 AM
- Gold futures -0.8% at ~$1,284/oz. after weekend polls showed a higher likelihood that the U.K. would vote to stay in the European Union.
- “This is a market that’s going to be very emotional this week” ahead of the June 23 referendum, says Peter Hug, global trading director at Kitco Metals, who believes that broader economic concerns and low interest rates will continue to support gold prices regardless of the Brexit outcome.
- Gold has risen 21% YTD amid worries over global growth and as the Fed has pushed back plans to raise short-term interest rates.
- Precious metals miners are among the biggest losers in early trading: ABX -3.8%, GG -2.4%, NEM -2.5%, AEM -1.6%, KGC -4.4%, SLW -1.7%, PAAS -2.7%, RGLD -0.8%, EGO -1.4%, NG -1.6%, GFI -4.8%, AUY -1.4%, IAG -1.8%, FNV -1%, HMY -2.3%, SBGL -2.6%, OTCPK:NCMGY -5%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, GGN, DUST, PSLV, SIL, PHYS, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, GLDX, UGL, DGP, GTU, UGLD, GLL, DZZ, SLVO, SGDM, GLDI, ASA, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, RING, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, PSAU, TGLDX, GYEN, USV, GEUR, UBG
Fri, Jun. 3, 4:16 PM
Fri, Jun. 3, 3:58 PM
- Gold miner stocks are skyrocketing, with the sector enjoying its best day in nearly seven years, as the disappointing May jobs report helped spark a strong rally in the yellow metal.
- The VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX +11.1%) surged more than 10% on heavy volume, and all 24 of the ETF’s U.S. equity components traded higher, with 10 of them enjoying double-digit percentage gains.
- In today's trade: ABX +12.9%, NEM +9.5%, GG +7.7%, AEM +11.1%, OTCPK:NCMGY +10.7%, KGC +15.4%, SLW +9%, FNV +9.1%, RGLD +9.4%, EGO +9.8%, GFI +13.7%, SBGL +8.2%, HMY +13%, IAG +16.4%, AU +14.4%, GOLD +8.6%, AUY +13.9%, NGD +9.6%, HL +12.1%, CDE +11.6%, TAHO +10.8%, NG +12.2%, AG +12.3%, PAAS +8.9%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, SGDJ, TGLDX, GDXX, GDJJ, GDXS, GDJS
Fri, May 27, 4:17 PM
Fri, Apr. 29, 4:12 PM
Tue, Apr. 19, 3:32 PM
- It's a good day for gold (GLD +1.5%), a great day for the miners (GDX +5.6%), and truly a session to remember for leveraged long miner ETFs.
- The Direxion Daily Junior Gold Miners Index Bull 3X Sahres (JNUG +23.3%), the Direxion Daily Gold Miners Index Bull 3x Shares (NUGT +16.3%).
- Today's move makes JNUG about a four-bagger in 2016.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, RING, PSAU, SGDJ, TGLDX, GDXX, GDJJ, GDXS, GDJS
Mon, Apr. 11, 12:39 PM
- Gold miners are surging amid higher gold prices and a positive research note from RBC Capital, as the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX +4.9%) powers higher with all 39 of its equity components rising.
- Kinross Gold (KGC +6.9%) and AngloGold Ashanti (AU +4.9%) are upgraded to Outperform at RBC, citing valuation amid an increase in the firm's 2016 gold price outlook to $1,250/oz. from $1,150; the firm says KGC's production profile has improved with the 2015 acquisition of mines from Barrick Gold (ABX +5.6%) and the planned Tasiast expansion, while AU represents the most robust opportunity in its South African coverage, supported by a diverse, low cost asset portfolio.
- Goldcorp (GG +3.8%) is sharply higher despite RBC's downgrade to Underperform, as the firm believes shares trade at a significant premium to Tier 1 peers and management needs to re-establish investor confidence in operations and strategy.
- Also: NEM +5.7%, AEM +4.9%, FNV +2.9%, HMY +3.8%, EGO +7.9%, NG +7.6%, HL +4.4%, GFI +3.1%, GOLD +1.7%, SBGL +6%, SLW +4.2%.
- Other ETFs: NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXX, GDXS
- Now read Kinross Gold: Analyst estimates following the news on Tasiast mine expansion
Thu, Mar. 24, 5:51 PM
Tue, Feb. 16, 3:49 PM
- Gold prices tumbled to their sharpest single-session loss since March 2015, based on most-active contracts, as investors turned more optimistic on the global economy after stock markets rallied and the European Central Bank said it stood ready to boost stimulus measures if needed.
- Adding to gold's decline was a report from Goldman Sachs commodities chief Jeffrey Currie, who said it is time to bet against the traditional safe haven as investor fears are overdone and do not justify the recent rally.
- "On net, fears around China, oil and negative interest rates have likely been overstated in the gold price and other financial markets," Currie says, doubling down on an earlier prediction that gold will slump to $1,100/oz. in three months and $1,000/oz. in 12 months.
- ABX -5.2%, NEM -5.1%, GG -5.5%, AEM -4.1%, SLW -2.9%, KGC -9.5%, NG -5.8%, AU -10.1%, FNV -3.8%, GFI -10.7%, HMY -5.3%, SBGL -11.6%, IAG -10.7%, GOLD -6.5%, EGO -10.5%, AUY -7.1%, HL -7.7%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, GGN, CEF, PSLV, DUST, SIL, PHYS, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GTU, SPPP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, SGDM, DSLV, ASA, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, DBS, GLTR, RING, DGZ, DGLD, DBP, WITE, PSAU, TGLDX, USV, GEUR, GYEN, JJP, UBG, GDXS, GDXX
Fri, Feb. 12, 4:15 PM
VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) seeks to replicate as closely as possible, before fees and expenses, the price and yield performance of the NYSE Arca Gold Miners Index (GDMNTR), which is intended to track the overall performance of companies involved in the gold mining industry.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Sector: Basic Materials