Fri, Apr. 24, 12:00 PM| Comment!
Fri, Apr. 17, 12:01 PM
- A positive sign for domestic automakers in China is that after the first three months of the year they held down eight of the top ten spots on the list of top-selling SUVs in the nation.
- Two years ago the group only had two models on the top ten SUV list.
- SUV sales in China are expected to increase by 20% this year.
- Chinese SUV sellers: Chongqing Changan Automobile (OTC:CQCAF), Great Wall (OTCPK:GWLLF, OTCPK:GWLLY), Geely Automobiles (OTCPK:GELYF, OTCPK:GELYY), BYD Group (OTCPK:BYDDY, OTCPK:BYDDF), BAIC Motor, Zotye.
Thu, Apr. 16, 9:31 AM
- Volvo (OTCPK:GELYF) car registrations +6.9% to 27,928 units in March, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.
- Overall EU registrations +10.6% Y/Y in March, powered by double-digit growth in Spain, Italy, and France. YTD registrations +8.6%.
- Volvo market share: 1.7% vs. 1.8% a year ago.
- Volvo YTD registrations +6.9%.
- EAMA release (.pdf)
Mon, Apr. 13, 9:31 AM
- Kandi Technologies (NASDAQ:KNDI) announces that its Kandi Electric Vehicles Group subsidiary will explore listing itself publicly in China.
- The 50-50 joint venture is also owned by Shanghai Maple Guoron Automobile, itself a Geely Automobiles Holdings (OTCPK:GELYF, OTCPK:GELYY) subsidiary.
- The company anticipates a listing within two years.
Wed, Apr. 1, 2:27 PM
Mon, Mar. 30, 5:35 AM
- Volvo Cars (OTCPK:GELYF) is investing $500M in its first U.S. assembly plant, plugging a longstanding gap in the automaker's manufacturing base.
- While Volvo's global deliveries rose 9% last year, largely thanks to China, U.S. sales fell another 8% to 56,000 vehicles.
- The choice of the U.S. over Mexico - where several rivals have announced a series of plant investments - underlines Volvo's determination to "rebuild the brand" among American consumers, said Chief Executive Hakan Samuelsson.
Mon, Mar. 23, 6:55 AM
- Volvo (OTCPK:GELYF) says it will create business region divisions within the company to help it broaden its sales reach.
- The new structure will see the company use the Americas, Europe Middle East and Africa, and Asia as separate regions.
- Volvo has lost traction in the U.S. over the last few years as it shifted priorities to China under the ownership of Geely Holdings.
Tue, Mar. 17, 8:36 AM
- Volvo (OTCPK:GELYF) car registrations +3.6% to 16,939 units in February, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.
- Overall EU registrations +7.3% Y/Y in February, led by double-digit growth in Spain, Italy, and the U.K. YTD registrations +7.0%.
- Volvo market share: 1.8% vs. 1.8% a year ago.
- Volvo YTD registrations +7.3%.
- EAMA release (.pdf)
Wed, Mar. 11, 8:43 AM
- Westport Innovations (NASDAQ:WPRT) has announced the introduction of its new combustion technology in Volvo's (OTCPK:GELYF) new Drive-E powertrain bi-fuel engine.
- Volvo is the first OEM to feature the new Westport system. It will be used on its new two-liter, direct injection, four-cylinder Drive-E powertrain family, which will be available on the Volvo V60 and V70 2016 models.
Wed, Mar. 4, 12:34 PM
- Investors betting on the Chinese automobile market need to factor in how runaway pollution impacts investment potential, warn analysts.
- The air Pollution index in China has hit dangerous levels this week with Beijing registering a 168 today and Nanjing hitting a shockingly high 288 yesterday (extremely unhealthy).
- Other cities with an "unhealthy" reading on air quality include Guangzhou, Nanjing, Maanshan, Chengdu, Chuzhou, Zhenjiang, Yahgzhou, Wuhu, and Hong Kong.
- Reports indicate the Chinese population has become more concerned about the medical ramifications of long-term exposure to pollution.
- Some automobile industry watchers think foreign car manufacturers could benefit at the expense of domestic automakers if the government in China is to take further steps to push low-emission cars and EVs.
- The other side of the equation is the restrictions placed on car sales in certain regions in the nation.
- China auto sales are expected to rise 8.3% this year.
- China-related auto stocks (including JVs): KNDI, OTCQX:VLKAY, GM, F, OTCPK:DDAIF, TSLA, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:BCAUY, OTCPK:GWLLY, OTCPK:GWLLF, OTCPK:GELYF, OTCPK:GELYY, OTCPK:DNFGF, OTCPK:DNFGY, OTC:HYMLF, CAAS, SORL, OTCPK:BYDDY, OTCPK:BYDDF.
Tue, Mar. 3, 10:56 AM
Tue, Feb. 24, 1:25 PM
- Consumer Reports selects the Tesla Model S as the best overall model with an overall score of 99 on a combined measure of safety, performance, and reliability.
- Though scoring off the charts on performance and equivalent gas mileage, the Model S was only "average" for reliability.
- Other segment winners are listed below.
- Compact car: Subaru Impreza (test score 79).
- Midsize sedan: Subaru Legacy (test score 89).
- Large car: Chevrolet Impala (test score 91).
- Luxury car: Audi A6 (test score 90).
- Green car: Toyota Prius (test score 75).
- Sports sedan: Buick Regal (test score 83).
- Small SUV: Subaru Forester (test score 86).
- Large SUV: Toyota Highlander (test score 84).
- Minivan: Honda Odyssey (test score 84).
- The pickup category was skipped by CR due to the newness of the F-150 and Chevy Colorado launch.
- Automaker stocks: GM, F, TM, HMC, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:MMTOF, TTM, OTCPK:SZKMY, OTCPK:FUJHY, OTCPK:GELYF, FCAU, OTCPK:NSANY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTCPK:MZDAY, TSLA.
Tue, Feb. 17, 10:23 AM| Comment!
Sat, Feb. 14, 10:53 AM
- The automobile industry was jolted yesterday by reports on Apple developing its own electric vehicle.
- Though the development has the potential to be disruptive for EV automakers, the impact could be even larger for companies betting on fuel cells if the $740B Cupertino giant takes a strong position in the EV vs. hydrogen debate through a partnership or vehicle introduction.
- Shares of Tesla Motors only showed a mild reaction to the Apple reports yesterday during the regular session and AH trading.
- Toyota is the company out in front on FCV development with the Mirai debuting in many markets this year. The automaker audaciously calls the model the "turning point" in automotive history.
- In regard to Apple, by most appearances, Toyota has been slow-playing the integration of Apple's CarPlay into future platforms.
- Related: The electric vs. hydrogen debate just got interesting (Jan. 15 2015)
- Related: Fuel cell development in Japan to gear up before 2020 Olympics (Jan. 20 2015)
- Related: Millennials have the steering wheel now (Jan. 31 2015)
- Related: Apple car project is for real, and it's a minivan (Feb. 13 2015)
- Automobile industy stocks: GM, F, TM, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:MMTOF, TTM, OTCPK:SZKMY, OTCPK:FUJHY, OTCPK:GELYF, FCAU, BLDP, KNDI.
Tue, Feb. 3, 7:41 PM
- Automakers turned in an impressive U.S. sales tally for January with majors GM, Ford, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, and Toyota all with double-digit sales growth.
- The gains weren't top-heavy as Subaru (+24%), Audi (+14%), Mitsubishi Motors (+33%), and even Porsche (+27%) all big gainers.
- Sales of lights trucks and SUVs rose 19.3% during the month, according to Autodesk.
- Average transaction prices were up 5.2% Y/Y on average, estimates Kelley Blue Book. GM and Ford both benefited on their ATP through a higher mix of SUVs and trucks.
- It wasn't a spectacular month for electric vehicle sales with demand for the Nissan Leaf falling off and the Tesla Model S an insignificant factor in the U.S. total.
- High-level automobile execs attributed the strong demand in part to the $2 gas price level seen across the U.S.
- Automaker stocks: GM, F, TM, HMC, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:MMTOF, TTM, OTCPK:MMTOF, OTCPK:SZKMY, OTCPK:FUJHY, OTCPK:GELYF, FCAU, OTCPK:NSANY, OTCPK:DDAIF.
Tue, Feb. 3, 10:53 AM
GELYF vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR