Guess?: Q1 Hurts Short-Term, Long-Term Bull Cases
Guess?: Intrigued, But Where's The Upside?
Guess? Still Looks Expensive
Guess? 'Beat' Offers Another Short Opportunity
Mar. 19, 2014, 12:10 AM
Mar. 18, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jan. 28, 2014, 7:43 AM
Jan. 6, 2014, 8:58 AM
- Winter storms which dumped over ten inches of snow in a large number of U.S. cities (Boston, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, NYC region) has wreaked havoc on mall traffic, according to retail watchers.
- In some major cities, malls were completely closed down due to the extreme snow.
- The extended bout of wintry weather hit right as the sector was looking for a bounce from post-holiday deal shoppers and gift card conversions.
- Analysts think most of the anticipated sales will be recouped, although a lag factor could in play. Apparel sellers could be the hardest hit as inventory starts to look stale.
- On watch: AEO, ANF, ARO, JCP, JWN, KSS, URBN, APP, TLYS, GES, BKE, CHS, ASNA, CWTR, ANN, CBK, NWY, CACH, BODY, WTSL, CATO, BEBE, DDS, LB, PSUN, EXPR, DDS, M, GPS, SHLD.
- Related ETFs: XLY, VCR, FXD, FDIS, RCD, PEZ, PSCD
Dec. 23, 2013, 9:03 AM
- Warnings on slow store traffic at retailers are being heard far and wide from analysts as more channel checks disappoint.
- Ground zero for promotional activity in the sector appears to be mall-based apparel sellers which are throwing "shocking" deals at consumers to stoke sales and clear inventory.
- Weather has been a factor, but forward-looking insiders also see a paradigm shift. Consumers enabled with mobile devices have taken a hatchet to the amount of their holiday season impulse buying which typically helps retailers drive margins higher on select items at stores.
- On watch: AEO, ANF, ARO, JCP, JWN, KSS, URBN, APP, TLYS, GES, BKE, CHS, ASNA, CWTR, ANN, CBK, NWY, CACH, BODY, WTSL, CATO, BEBE, DDS, LB, PSUN, EXPR.
Dec. 4, 2013, 4:28 PM
- Guess? (GES) shares are now off 1.7% in AH trading following FQ3 results that saw an EPS beat but weak comp results.
- North America retail revenue fell 3.1% Y/Y to $253.8M, with comps plunging 5% Y/Y. Europe revenue decreased 0.8% to $200.9M (-6.6% in local currency). Asia revenue declined 2.8% to $72.7M (and again, declined 5.5% in local currency).
- Management guides for FQ4 revenue of $750M-$770M (vs. consensus of $778.2M) and EPS of $0.74-$0.84 ($0.83) excl. restructuring charges.
- Conference call at 4:30 pm ET, PR
Dec. 4, 2013, 4:13 PM
- Guess? (GES): FQ3 EPS of $0.42 beats by $0.05.
- Revenue of $613.5M misses by $0.06M. Shares -3.3% AH. (PR)
Dec. 4, 2013, 7:12 AM
- The inventory levels of apparel retailers in the U.S. stand at alarming levels, according to Nomura Equity Research.
- By most accounts, the group didn't perform well over the Black Friday weekend after entering the holiday shopping season at high inventory levels.
- Retailers such as Macy's (M) and Gap (GPS) may have an edge with their strong online fulfillment programs, but the early starts to the shopping season exacerbate inventory issues. Some retail chains will start selling spring lines in late December forcing a more promotional stance on older items.
- On watch: AEO, ANF, ARO, JCP, JWN, KSS, URBN, LTD, APP, TLYS, GES, BKE, CHS, ASNA, CWTR, ANN, CBK, NWY, CACH, BODY, WTSL, CATO, BEBE, DDS.
Dec. 4, 2013, 12:10 AM
Dec. 3, 2013, 5:35 PM
Nov. 15, 2013, 9:05 AM
- Analysts with Mizuho try to separate the wheat from the chaff in retail with a bevy of initiations.
- The Japanese investment firm sees outperformace in the e-commerce business of select retailers as helping them best holiday sales forecast.
- Started at Buy: ANN, EXPR, GPS, PLCE, PSUN, URBN.
- Started at Neutral: ANF, ARO, AEO, BEBE, CHS, FRAN, GES, LTD, LULU, MW, TLYS, ZUMZ.
Oct. 16, 2013, 7:47 AM
- A guidance cut from Wet Seal (WTSL) could be repeated across the retail sector as weak mall traffic and heightened promotional activity take a wrecking ball to sales targets.
- After plenty of gloomy forecasts from retail analysts on Q4 store traffic and sales, the warning from Wet Seal seems to confirm the trend is downward.
- WTSL -8.9% premarket.
- On watch: BKE, ANF, ZUMZ, GPS, URBN, GES, PSUN, EXPR, ARO, PLCE, TLYS, CHS.
Sep. 16, 2013, 7:59 AM
- U.S. retail is in for a challenging holiday season, according to Walter Loeb.
- He sees the buildup of unsold inventory and new arrivals pressuring apparel sellers to become more promotional in order to clear their shelves.
- The very early timing of Chanukah could cut typical late quarter buying momentum.
- A seismic shift in the preferences of teens to save for electronic gadgets, instead of creating buzz over trendy fashion lines, is also working against the sector.
- Related stocks: AEO, ANF, LTD, GPS, TLYS, BKE, URBN, GES, ARO, APP.
Sep. 6, 2013, 7:28 AM
- Analysts don't think the challenges facing apparel retailers in the U.S. will go away anytime soon.
- Pent-up demand in the housing and auto sector has crowded out consumer spending on clothes to push the sector into a highly-promotional stance heading into the Back to School and holiday seasons.
- While retailers selling appliances (CONN, HD, LOW) are forecast to benefit from the trend, mall-based chains (KSS, BKE, ANF, WTSL, ZUMZ, GPS, URBN, GES, PSUN, ARO, EXPR, AEO, JCP, M, DDS) are on watch.
Aug. 29, 2013, 12:45 PM
Aug. 29, 2013, 9:11 AM
Guess?, Inc. designs, markets, distributes and licenses a lifestyle collections of contemporary apparel and accessories for men, women and children that reflect the American lifestyle and European fashion sensibilities. Its apparel is marketed under numerous trademarks including GUESS, GUESS?,... More
Industry: Apparel Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR