Bad Street, Best House No More: It's Time To Go Short Goldcorp
Itinerant • 36 Comments
Itinerant • 36 Comments
Yesterday, 12:05 PM
- Overstuffed bears are taking some profits in gold and silver today as the strong November jobs report confirms what most already knew - the economy is cruising along and a rate cut is coming this month.
- Gold is higher by 0.6% and sliver by 1.5%.
- The precious metals miner ETFs: GDX +3.7%, SIL +4.1%
- Barrick Gold (ABX +5.3%), Newmont Mining (NEM +3.7%), Goldcorp (GG +2.4%), Silver Wheaton (SLW +2.9%), First Majestic (AG +10%), Continental Gold (OTCQX:CGOOF +7.9%), Detour Gold (OTCPK:DRGDF +11.1%), Northern Dynasty (NAK +16%)
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, RING, PSAU, SGDJ, TGLDX, GDJJ, GDXX, GDXS, MELT, SIL, SLVP, SILJ
Wed, Nov. 30, 6:47 PM
- Tumbling gold prices could cause shares of Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) to continue their downward slide, but Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) could enjoy gains, Morgan Stanley analyst Evan Kurtz says.
- While continuing to rate ABX and NEM as Equal Weight, Kurtz rates GG at Overweight as a good entry point in the stock, believing GG's management has set the operational bar at an achievable level.
- Kurtz prefers GG because the stock is pricing in gold below the strip, based on NAV; production guidance for 2016-18 appears conservative; and it is less likely to start work on a large greenfield project or be acquisitive in a big way due to its steady medium-term production and large resource base.
Wed, Nov. 16, 7:15 PM
- Gold mines are on the verge of peak production as the pipeline of new withers, supporting prices and delivering a new impetus for dealmaking and industry consolidation, Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) Chairman Ian Telfer tells Bloomberg.
- The number of deals in the gold sector this year is the highest since 2011, as gold’s price surge has prompted producers to trade assets to add production or to improve the mine portfolio quality, and Telfer says GG is reviewing opportunities for acquisitions or partnerships including in new discoveries and existing assets.
- Randgold (NASDAQ:GOLD) CEO Mark Bristow said recently that gold production may peak in the next three years as miners fail to replace their reserves, and Telfer concurs, saying producers have limited scope to raise output in response to higher prices, and that “we are having a heck of a time finding gold."
- “Once supply from mines starts to decline and people start to realize the impact that’s going to have... it’s going to be incredibly bullish for gold,” Telfer says.
- ETFs: GLD, IAU, PHYS, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GTU, UGLD, GLL, DZZ, OUNZ, DGL, DGZ, DGLD, UBG
Wed, Nov. 9, 10:51 AM
- Gold has pared early gains approaching 5%, now just +1% at $1,287.70/oz., with silver +1.5% at $18.64/oz., but precious metals mining stocks continue to enjoy strong gains.
- “The market is telling you that the mining sector is the biggest beneficiary of a Trump election, particularly precious metals,” says Investec Securities analyst Jeremy Wrathall.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX +3.5%, NEM +4.3%, GG +5.6%, AEM +4.2%, SLW +3.4%, KGC +4.2%, RGLD +5.1%, EGO +3.8%, NG +5.8%, GOLD +5%, GFI +5.5%, AU +4.5%, HMY +5.9%, SBGL +7.1%, FNV +3.8%, AUY +5.3%, IAG +4.6%, BTG +6.3%, NGD +7.6%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, GGN, DUST, PSLV, SIL, PHYS, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, GLDX, UGL, DGP, GTU, UGLD, GLL, DZZ, SLVO, SGDM, GLDI, ASA, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, RING, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, PSAU, TGLDX, GYEN, USV, GEUR, UBG, GDXX, GDXS
Wed, Oct. 26, 5:53 PM
Tue, Oct. 25, 5:35 PM
- ABX, ACGL, AEM, AHL, ALDW, ALGT, AMSF, ANIK, AR, ARI, ARRS, AXS, AXTI, BGG, BWLD, CAA, CACI, CAKE, CDE, CHE, CMO, CMPR, CRY, CSGP, CSII, CW, DDR, DLB, DRE, ECHO, EFX, EGHT, EPE, EQY, ESND, ESV, EXR, FBHS, FFIV, FISV, FORR, GG, GRPN, GTY, HUBG, IBKC, INFN, JBT, KEX, KMT, KNX, KRA, KRC, KWR, LLNW, LMAT, MB, MC, MEOH, MKSI, MMLP, MMSI, MN, MUR, NEM, NEU, NOW, NTGR, NTRI, NXPI, O, OCN, ORLY, PLNT, PLXS, PPC, PRXL, PSA, PTC, QDEL, QEP, QTM, RCII, RGA, RHI, RJF, SCI, SFLY, SGMO, SHLM, SIGI, SU, TER, TILE, TIS, TRN, TSLA, TTMI, TXN, TYL, UCTT, UHS, UNM, VAR, VMW, WCN, WDC, WIRE, WLL, XL
Mon, Oct. 24, 3:58 PM
- Gold Standard Ventures (GSV -5.1%) is lower after announcing a private placement of up to 7.88M common shares at C$3.17 each for total proceeds of up to ~ C$25M.
- As a part of the private placement, Goldcorp (GG -1.4%) is purchasing more than 4.7M shares at the offering price; GG anticipates owning ~10.6% of GSV shares at closing for the placement.
- GSV expects to use the proceeds to acquire certain royalty interests on its flagship Pinion-Railroad gold project in Nevada, purchase nearby land claims, continue exploration on the project and for general working capital purposes.
Mon, Oct. 24, 2:24 PM
- Analysis from Canaccord Genuity suggests the gold price may have bottomed, thus the firm upgrades Goldcorp (GG -2%), Centerra Gold (OTCPK:CAGDF +0.8%), Detour Gold (OTCPK:DRGDF -1.5%) and Fortuna Silver Mines (FSM -0.4%) to Buy from Hold.
- With the recent pullback in commodity prices, "a window of opportunity appears to have presented itself, and we believe investors should consider increasing weights" in select precious metals stocks, the firm says.
- Canaccord cites rising market volatility related to the upcoming U.S. election, the recent pullback in extreme non-commercial long gold positions on the Comex, declining selling pressure among hedge funds, and real interest rates remaining near zero whether or not the Fed raises rates in December.
- The firm cites other names that could benefit, as underperforming portfolio managers look to increase their leverage to gold, including Kinross Gold (KGC -5.7%), Iamgold (IAG -2.2%) and B2Gold (BTG -3.9%) among senior producers, Endeavour Mining (OTCQX:EDVMF -1.6%) and Alamos Gold (AGI -3%) among mid- and small-cap producers, and Tahoe Resources (TAHO -1.1%) in the silver space.
Mon, Oct. 10, 1:10 PM
- Goldcorp (GG -0.2%) says it reached an agreement with protesters to lift the blockade that interrupted operations for about a week at its Penasquito gold mine in Mexico.
- The company promised to renew contracts with carriers, expand and establish two health centers, improve infrastructure in the nearby city, and study the water and air to assess whether it should compensate communities for alleged contamination, according to a state government mediator.
- Operations at the mine had been temporarily suspended because of a blockade by truck drivers protesting a loss of contracts.
Wed, Oct. 5, 4:58 PM
- Negotiations are underway to resolve the week-long blockade at Goldcorp's (NYSE:GG) suspended Peñasquito gold mine in Mexico, a government mediator tells Reuters.
- GG said on Monday that it shut operations at the mine because of safety concerns from the blockade by a trucking contractor concerned about losing business.
- GG says it has a contingency plan in place that would allow mining and processing to be restarted immediately once the dispute was resolved; it maintains that the shutdown will not impact 2016 production or cost estimates.
Tue, Oct. 4, 2:20 PM
- Precious metals miners are slammed as gold prices dip well below $1,300/oz. to settle at $1,269.70, its lowest since the U.K.'s Brexit vote in June, as upbeat U.S. manufacturing data yesterday has stoked expectations of higher interest rates.
- Gold is “falling off the cliff,” says Naeem Aslam, chief market analyst at ThinkMarkets. “Traders are buying the equity market with both hands, especially over in the U.K.” as the British pound declines.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX -9.2%, KGC -10.4%, GG -7.8%, NEM -8.7%, EGO -7.4%, RGLD -7.8%, AEM -8.9%, NG -9.7%, SLW -9.1%, FNV -5.6%, IAG -11.2%, GOLD -8.1%, AU -9.3%, GFI -6.4%, SBGL -8.1%, HMY -9.9%, AUY -11.6%, BTG -9.3%, NGD -6.6%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, SILJ, RING, PSAU, SGDJ, TGLDX, GDJJ, GDXX, GDXS
Mon, Oct. 3, 12:34 PM
- Freeport McMoRan (FCX -0.5%), Barrick Gold (ABX -2.5%) and Pan American Silver (PAAS -0.5%) are upgraded to Buy from Hold at Deutsche Bank, which notes the 12% Q3 rally in commodity prices have enabled the sector to improve their balance sheets via stock issuance, debt refinancing and asset disposals.
- The firm is neutral overall in the metals group, as it continues to believe that material supply cuts still are needed in most commodities and thus does not anticipate prices continuing their upward trend.
- Deutsche Bank says its top picks are ABX and Newmont Mining (NEM -3%) in precious metals, Steel Dynamics (STLD -2.4%) in steel, and Alcoa (AA -1.1%) and Kaiser Aluminum (KALU -1.8%) in aluminum; it upgrades AK Steel (AKS -0.7%), Coeur Mining (CDE -0.8%), Teck Resources (TCK -1.5%) and Goldcorp (GG -4.2%) to Hold from Sell.
Mon, Oct. 3, 10:24 AM
- Goldcorp (GG -2.3%) announces a controlled shutdown of operations at its Peñasquito gold mine in Mexico following a blockade by a trucking contractor that began last Monday.
- GG says it has taken legal steps, including filing criminal charges against the protesters, but that it also is ready to talk with the contractor's representatives.
- GG says it does not expect the incident to hurt overall production and cost guidance for 2016; Peñasquito produced 860K oz. of gold in 2015.
Thu, Sep. 29, 8:17 AM
- Protesters have blocked access to Goldcorp's (NYSE:GG) Penasquito mining complex in northern Mexico, threatening to interrupt production at the country's biggest gold deposit.
- The protesters began their blockade on Monday and are demanding payment for environmental damages, jobs and water for their communities, according to one of the protest leaders.
- Last year, Penasquito produced 860K oz. of gold, 25% of GG´s total production.
Wed, Sep. 21, 5:55 PM
- Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) was today's best-performing stock in the S&P 500 and precious metals miners gained across the board, enjoying a big boost from the Fed’s decision to keep interest rates unchanged.
- NEM even outperformed the VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (NYSEARCA:GDX) - +7.5% vs. +7% - and Credit Suisse analysts say business in looking up for the miner, as NEM continues to meet or beat cost and production targets, as well as strengthen its portfolio.
- The firm adds that NEM believes shareholders appreciate its predictability, discipline and defining growth based on free cash flow rather than production.
- Also today: ABX +8.6%, GG +7%, AEM +7.1%, EGO +5.7%, KGC +7.6%, SLW +7.8%, FNV +4.8%, RGLD +9.6%, IAG +7.9%, GOLD +4.7%, AU +10.4%, GFI +9%, SBGL +9.5%, HMY +11.8%, AUY +7.6%, BTG +6.3%, NG +8.1%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXX, GDXS
Fri, Sep. 2, 11:45 AM