Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Tue, Feb. 9, 12:48 PM
Tue, Feb. 9, 10:10 AM
- Glatfelter (GLT +18.5%) is rallying after a healthy earnings beat with its Q4 report.
- Operating margin by business unit: Composite Fibers +280 bps to 12.0%, Advanced Airlaid Materials +100 bps to 9.8%, Specialty Papers +30 bps to 7.3%,
- The company's outlook for shipping volume in 2016 was solid and it sees a 24% normalized tax rate.
- "As we enter 2016, we see growth opportunities in food and beverage, feminine hygiene, specialty wipes and electrical markets," stated CEO Dante Parrini.
- Previously: Glatfelter beats by $0.08, misses on revenue (Feb. 09 2016)
Mon, Jan. 25, 2:34 PM
- Concerns over pricing are running up and down the paper and packaging sector.
- A drop in prices during January could lead to even further erosion down the road warns, Citi.
- Downgrades: Citi lowers International Paper (IP -10.5%) and Packaging Corp. of America (PKG -13.1%) to Neutral from Buy, BAML takes Westrock (WRK -13.8%) to Neutral from Buy, Macquarie slams KapStone Paper & Packaging (KS -21.8%) with an Underperform rating.
- Also showing weakness are Domtar (UFS -7.4%), Orchids Paper Products (TIS -1.9%), P H Glatfelter (GLT -9.2%), and Clearwater Paper (CLW -6.4%).
Dec. 6, 2013, 8:40 AM
- The 10-year Treasury yield jumps to 2.92% following the jobs numbers beat and the far bigger-than-expected dip in the unemployment rate to just 7%. The government shutdown apparently affected this month's speed of decline in the UE rate, but not the level - i.e., it would be at 7% no matter the shutdown, but the furlough and then return of workers caused all of the decline to occur in the November report.
- Stock index futures remain about where they were, the S&P 500 (SPY) +0.5%.
- Gold (GLD) is off 1.25% to $1,216 per ounce and the dollar jumps, with UUP +0.5% premarket.
- Treasury ETFs: TBT, TLT, TMV, IEF, TBF, PST, EDV, TTT, TMF, TLH, ZROZ, SBND, IEI, DLBS, TYO, DTYS, VGLT, UST, UBT, TLO, TBX, VGIT, GSY, LBND, DTYL, SCHR, TYD, ITE, TYBS, TENZ, FIVZ, TBZ, DFVL, DLBL, DFVS, TYNS
- PM ETFs: GLD, SLV, IAU, AGQ, PHYS, SIVR, PPLT, PALL, USLV, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, DZZ, UGLD, DBS, DGL, DSLV, GLTR, DGZ, PTM, AGOL, DBP, GLDI, DGLD, WITE, SLVO, PGM, TBAR, USV, JJP, UBG, RGRP, LPLT, BLNG, IPLT
- Dollar: UDN, UUPT, UDNT
Sep. 16, 2013, 1:12 PM
- The sweet premium that Packaging Corporation decided to pay for Boise is helping to lift the share price of peers across sector.
- Consolidation across the sector is seen as necessary by some analysts with paper and containerboard demand soft.
- Advancers: RKT +5.6%, IP +1.8%, KS +8.1%, RFP +2.6%, GLT +1.2%.
Mar. 13, 2013, 3:58 PM
Shares of Glatfelter (GLT +7%) have powered higher all day after this morning's news that the manufacturer of specialty papers had acquired specialty non-wovens manufacturer Dresden Papier for ~$209M. GLT expects the acquisition to be immediately accretive to EPS by ~$0.25 annually.| Mar. 13, 2013, 3:58 PM
Oct. 22, 2012, 5:38 PM
Oct. 27, 2011, 3:51 PM
Specialty paper supplier Glatfelter (GLT +6.5%) pops after saying it plans to expand the capacity of its composite fibers business unit, which serves the growing global tea and single serve coffee markets.| Oct. 27, 2011, 3:51 PM