General Communications Worth Watching If Alaska Gets Chilly
General Communication: Value Hides In Alaska
Paulo Santos • 13 Comments
Paulo Santos • 13 Comments
Wed, May 4, 5:28 PM
Thu, Mar. 3, 12:53 PM
Wed, Mar. 2, 4:35 PM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA) beat revenue expectations in its Q4 results on the strength of sales in Managed Broadband and Consumer data. Sales grew 5% in the quarter and 8% for the full year.
- Revenue by segment: Wireless, $60M (down 3%); Wireline, $181 (up 8%). Of Wireless: Wholesale revenues, $21M; Roaming and Backhaul, $26M; USF support, $13M. Of Wireline: Consumer, $89M (up 17%); Business Services, $52M (down 11%); Managed Broadband, $40M (up 24%).
- For 2016, the company's guiding to revenues of $930M-$980M, vs. an expected $991M (one estimate). Of that, roaming and backhaul revenues are forecast sharply lower at $70M-$80M, meaning revenues excluding those are seen growing 4% at the midpoint ($860M-$900M).
- It sees capex of about $210M; about $150M net of tower sale proceeds to be re-invested.
- Conference call to come tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET.
- Press Release
Wed, Mar. 2, 4:07 PM
Dec. 31, 2015, 3:27 PM
- An aggressive move by AMC Networks (AMCX -0.7%) against independent cable operators is coming to a holiday head as four million subscribers face a New Year's blackout of the channel.
- The network and the National Cable Television Cooperative were still talking today in hopes of reaching a deal, though one member network -- General Communication (GNCMA -1.1%), Alaska's biggest -- has promised to drop AMC in the face of "massive fee increases."
- AMC is reported to have lower per-subscriber fees than peers like TNT, USA Network and FX, but is seeking increases for not only its headline AMC Network but also SundanceTV, IFC and We TV. Earlier reports had AMC pursuing payment for every subscriber to a cable network -- not just the ones receiving AMC channels -- as a new defense against skinny bundles.
- AMC boasted the No. 4 series of 2015 with its flagship The Walking Dead, averaging 19.7M viewers -- meaning that it takes a brave cable operator to risk cutting ties to AMC.
Dec. 9, 2015, 5:40 PM
Nov. 4, 2015, 5:45 PM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA): Q3 EPS of $0.44 beats by $0.19.
- Revenue of $258.6M (+7.4% Y/Y) beats by $22.38M.
Sep. 17, 2015, 9:22 PM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA) has launched gigabit Internet service in Alaska, meaning if you want the ultrafast speeds, you may be better off in Anchorage than in Anaheim.
- "Today we're proud to begin the launch of 1 GIG Red in Anchorage while many major Lower 48 cities like Los Angeles, Boston, and Washington D.C. wait for comparable 1-gigabit service," says CEO Ron Duncan.
- It's also upgrading other markets (Mat-Su, Juneau, Fairbanks, Kenai/Soldotna, Sitka and Ketchikan) to speeds of up to 500 Mbps from an existing limit of 250 MBps.
- The company plans to launch the gigabit service across the entire Anchorage system by the end of the year.
Aug. 4, 2015, 5:17 PM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA): Q2 Adj EBITDA of $88M.
- Revenue of $248M (+10.5% Y/Y) beats by $16.68M.
May 7, 2015, 4:12 AM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA): Q1 EPS of -$0.49 may not be comparable to consensus of $0.25.
- Revenue of $231M (+6.9% Y/Y) beats by $2.8M.
Mar. 4, 2015, 5:28 PM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA): Q4 Adj. EBITDA of $71M
- Revenue of $229M (+6.3% Y/Y) beats by $7.13M.
Feb. 2, 2015, 2:36 PM
- Alaska Communications (NASDAQ:ALSK) has completed the sale of its one-third interest in Alaska Wireless Network to General Communication (GNCMA, OTCQB:GNCMB) for $300M.
- Net proceeds are being used to pay down ALSK's debt.
- "When we announced this transaction in December 2014, we said that by eliminating the negative margins associated with the retail wireless business and by realizing additional synergies, we were targeting a pro-forma run-rate EBITDA of $54 million and a leverage ratio of 3.1x annual EBITDA," says CFO Wayne Graham. "The operational plan to perform at or better than these levels is under way."
- ALSK will elaborate on the deal on its March 5 earnings call. The firm is expected to report a net loss of $0.01/share on $76.4M in revenue.
- Previously: Alaska Comm. sells wireless assets; shares +35.5% AH (Dec. 04 2014)
Nov. 5, 2014, 7:30 PM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA): Q3 EPS of $0.30 may not be comparable to consensus of -$0.01.
- Revenue of $241M (+10.6% Y/Y) beats by $19M.
Aug. 7, 2014, 12:13 AM
- General Communication (NASDAQ:GNCMA): Q2 EPS of $0.20 beats by $0.14.
- Revenue of $224M (+18.1% Y/Y) misses by $3.61M.
Dec. 11, 2013, 5:38 PM
Aug. 1, 2013, 9:37 AM
- General Communications (GNCMA): Q2 EPS of $0.10 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $189.7M (+8% Y/Y) beats by $1.4M. (PR)
General Communication, Inc. is a holding company, which provides wireless telephone services, data services, Internet access, video services and local and long-distance voice services, to residential and business customers across the state under its GCI brand. The company operates through the... More
Industry: Long Distance Carriers
Country: United States
Other News & PR