The Odds For Our Golden Pair Trade Just Got Better
Itinerant • 16 Comments
Itinerant • 16 Comments
A Golden Pair Trade: Long Endeavour Mining, Short Randgold
Itinerant • 15 Comments
Itinerant • 15 Comments
Sep. 22, 2015, 5:40 PM
Sep. 17, 2015, 5:37 PM
Sep. 16, 2015, 12:49 PM
- AngloGold Ashanti (AU +5.4%) and Randgold Resources (GOLD +5.1%) say they have concluded an investment agreement aimed at the formation of a joint venture to redevelop and operate AU's Obuasi gold mine in Ghana.
- Obuasi is expected to be remodeled to survive on a gold price of $1 000/oz., Randgold's yardstick.
Sep. 11, 2015, 5:37 PM
Aug. 24, 2015, 7:24 PM
- Randgold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD) is upgraded to Outperform from Sector Perform while Kinross Gold (NYSE:KGC) is downgraded to Underperform from Sector Perform with a $2.25 price target, cut from $3.25, at RBC Capital.
- RBC cites GOLD's strong Q2 performance as the result of a strong business plan that has the miner producing gold at a cost in the lowest quartile for the industry, allowing the company to generate positive free cash flow as long as gold prices are above $800oz.
- At the same time, the firm says KGC's production profile is declining and that the company will struggle should gold prices slip under $1,000/oz, where KGC would start to burn $100M in annual cash; however, if prices stay above $1,100, KGC could fund $300M-$400M in capital spending.
- KGC may need to make an acquisition to replace reserves, while GOLD may make an acquisition but would be able to approach it from a point of strength with an "ungeared balance sheet and low costs," the firm says.
Aug. 20, 2015, 2:29 PM
- Alongside interest rate sensitive names, the gold miners are well-bid as the major averages tumble.
- The yellow metal itself is higher by 2.15% to $1,152 per ounce.
- Gold Fields (GFI +15.1%), AngloGold Ashanti (AU +11.2%), Sibanye Gold (SBGL +11.3%), Alamos Gold (AGI +9.7%), IAMGOLD (IAG +6.1%), Randgold (GOLD +5.6%), Barrick (ABX +4.9%), Newmont (NEM +3.7%), Kincross (KGC +2.6%), Goldcorp (GG +3.2%).
Aug. 12, 2015, 3:17 PM
- Randgold Resources (GOLD +4.4%) has risen 7% since Citigroup upgraded shares to Buy on July 24, and the firm reiterates its Buy rating with a $73.96 price target, saying the miner's strong track record and balance sheet will help it outpace gold price concerns over the long term.
- GOLD's Q2 production rose 7% Q/Q to top the 300K oz. mark for the first time, while overall total cash costs of $684/oz. showed a 3% improvement; after re-assessing longer-term assumptions for the Kibali and Loulo mines as well as its valuation of exploration projects, Citi raises its long-term net present value to $56.89 from $55.68.
- Citi says key risks that could prevent the achievement of its new target price include gold price, currency risk and political risk stemming from of the company’s operation in African countries, where power supply remains an issue in some mines.
Aug. 6, 2015, 2:50 AM
- Randgold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD): Q2 Profit of $59.2M
- Revenue of $354.8M (flat Y/Y)
Jul. 27, 2015, 9:59 AM
- Randgold Resources (GOLD -2.3%) says it continues to make progress in dealing with throughput challenges at its Tongon mine in the Ivory Coast, and says it has stepped up its exploration effort around the mine following the introduction of a new mining code.
- CEO Mark Bristow says the mine's gold recovery rate was improving, despite problems caused by an erratic grid power supply, and plans to upgrade the processing plant capacity at the mine by installing a fourth stage crusher at the end of the existing circuit.
- The CEO says the company has taken a fresh look at its Nielle permit, which hosts the Tongon mine, and has generated several exploration targets, the most exciting of which are found in the Boundiali permit.
Jul. 20, 2015, 10:39 AM
- Several gold miner stocks strike new 52-week lows in early trading, as gold prices plunge below $1,100/oz. overnight and adding pressure to a sector that already faces razor-thin margins.
- Investors have turned sharply negative on gold as the U.S. dollar rises ahead of a likely rise in interest rates, and a report out of China shows lower than expected holdings of the metal.
- While most senior gold miners can generate decent margins at $1,100 gold, many small and mid-tier producers are underwater at the price, and some of the seniors are struggling with heavy debt.
- Hitting new 52-week lows today: ABX -9.3%, GG -7.7%, GFI -10.7%, KGC -9.4%, AGI -6.6%, AU -9.7%, SBGL -7.8%, BTG -9.3%, EGO -2.9%, NGD -8%, AUY -8.8%, RGLD -8.2%, FNV -6.8%, SLW -5%.
- Also lower: NEM -9.4%, AEM -7.9%, NG -7%, GOLD -4.8%, IAG -5.1%, HL -5.4%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, SILJ, RING, JUNR, PSAU, TGLDX, GDJJ, GDXS, GDXX, GDJS
Jul. 17, 2015, 2:58 PM
- Barrick Gold (ABX -4.9%) sinks to 24-year lows in Toronto trading, leading a rout among bullion miners as the yellow metal extends its selloff to five-year lows.
- ABX is under particular pressure, as the fall in gold casts doubt on the company’s strategy of shedding assets to pay down its $12.9B debt, as it "becomes harder and harder to sell those assets at any kind of reasonable value if metal prices are unwinding," Macquarie analyst Ron Stewart says.
- ABX reportedly is nearing a deal to sell its Zaldivar copper mine in Chile, and is looking for buyers for its 50% stake in its Kalgoorlie mine, among other properties.
- NEM -2.6%, GG -5.7%, GFI -1.1%, KGC -5.2%, AEM -5.1%, NG -2.2%, AGI -6.6%, AU -5.7%, GOLD -2.5%, SBGL -4.2%, BTG -6.4%, IAG -7.6%, EGO -7.6%, HL -3.5%, NGD -8.4%, AUY -2.9%, RGLD -2.9%, FNV -3.6%, SLW -3.3%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXS, GDXX
Jun. 5, 2015, 12:41 PM
- The overall market capitalization of the world's 40 biggest miners has been cut in half over four years, sinking 16% Y/Y to $791B at the end of 2014, according to the latest annual survey by accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- PwC said the top 40 miners' return on capital employed fell to its lowest level since at least 2005, and few companies, including Randgold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD) and Norlisk Nickel (OTCPK:NILSY), topped 15%.
- The top 40's dividend coverage was just 1.1x, a practice PwC says "isn’t sustainable in the long term... dividends paid in 2014 consumed all available cash, reducing the balance sheet flexibility of miners."
- The consequence of the payouts and the falling market cap is that miners’ dividend yield rose to 5%, the highest in a decade.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, XME, COPX, SGDM, BCX, ASA, SLVP, CU, RING, HAP, IRV, PSAU, MXI, GNR, TGLDX, PICK
May 6, 2015, 5:30 PM
- AAON, ACHN, ACRE, AEE, AGIO, AKRX, ALE, ALU, AMRC, APA, APO, ARCP, ARIA, AXAS, BABA, BDBD, BDX, CBB, CCC, CCOI, CDW, CECE, CHD, CNK, CNQ, CNSL, CONE, COT, COTY, CRIS, CSIQ, DFT, DNOW, DWRE, ENZY, FIG, FSYS, GLP, GOGO, GOLD, GSM, HII, HILL, HL, HPT, INSY, INXN, IRC, IT, KATE, LEAF, LIOX, LPI, LQDT, LXP, MFC, MGA, MITL, MMS, MPEL, MPW, MT, MWW, MZOR, NCLH, NICE, NJR, NRP, NXST, OGE, ONE, OWW, PCLN, PDCE, PGEM, PMC, PPL, PRFT, RDEN, REGN, RESI, REV, RFP, RGEN, RICE, RRD, RSTI, RWLK, SATS, SEAS, SFY, SNAK, SNI, SPH, SRPT, SSTK, STE, SUNE, TA, TAP, TDC, THS, TIME, TLM, TLP, TU, USAC, VC, VTG, WAC, WIN, WPG, WPP, WRES
Apr. 27, 2015, 6:45 PM
- Gold surged above $1,200/oz. today in its best day since January, as U.S. June gold futures settled up 2.4% to $1,203.20/oz. in its best percentage jump since Jan. 15, amid reports Friday that Venezuela's central bank had converted 1.4M oz. of its gold reserves into at least $1B in cash through a swap with Citibank.
- "That was a huge potential seller taken out of the market. It's not an overhang anymore," Dennis Gartman said of the Venezuela deal.
- Other gold watchers say the bigger factor driving prices was the expiration of May options and short covering; an increase of 13K shorts in the market is a positive since those traders could be forced to buy gold when they cover, says Kevin Grady of Phoenix Futures and Options.
- ETFs: GLD, IAU, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, GLDI, OUNZ, DGL, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, TBAR, GEUR, UBG, GYEN, BAR
- Miners finished mostly higher: NEM +2.4%, ABX +2.2%, AU +2.6%, GOLD -0.4%, GFI +5.3%, GG +0.9%, SBGL +3%, NGD +3.1%, EGO +1.7%, AUY +1.8%, KGC flat, IAG +4.2%, BTG +1.9%, HL +1.9%, RGLD -0.8%, FNV +0.8%, AGI +1.3%, AUQ +2.3%.
Apr. 24, 2015, 6:50 PM
- In another day of broad losses among in precious metals miners, Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) enjoyed a 6.5% surge following strong Q1 results that included impressive cost reductions in gold and copper production.
- J.P. Morgan analysts especially liked the strong first quarter at Batu Hijau and Yanacocha and the deferral of some capex that allowed NEM to generate $344M in free cash flows and pay down $200M in debt; the firm says full-year guidance could be raised if cost reductions can be maintained in Q2.
- Otherwise, it was not a good day for mining equities, following another drop in gold futures which tumbled to their lowest level in more than a month.
- NEM CEO Gary Goldberg expects gold prices to gain ~25% to $1,500/oz. by 2020 on rising demand from China and a weaker dollar; for now, Goldberg says the strong U.S. dollar is “definitely having an adverse effect” on gold prices, and he expects the dollar will “eventually come back off of its highs in the next couple of years."
- In today's trade: ABX -0.9%, AU -4.2%, GG -2.6%, SBGL -7.7%, GOLD -2%, AUY -2.5%, NGD -1.9%, GFI -4.4%, SLW -1%, PAAS -1.6%, EGO -4.1%, RGLD -2.7%, FNV -2.1%, KGC -0.4%, IAG -1.4%, BTG -1.9%, HL -1.9%, AGI -1.6%, AUQ -3.1%.
Apr. 22, 2015, 6:36 PM
- Gold tumbled today to its sharpest single session loss in more than six weeks, after the strong U.S. existing home sales report that raised expectations for a Fed interest rate hike in June.
- U.S. gold futures for June delivery fell $16.20 (-1.4%) to settle at $1,186.90/oz., while silver fell 1.3% to $15.77.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX -3.4%, AU -4%, GG -2.8%, SBGL -6.8%, GOLD -1.5%, AUY -3.7%, NG -1.9%, GFI -5%, SLW -2.1%, PAAS -3.5%, NEM -3.1%, EGO -1.4%, RGLD -2.1%, FNV -3.4%, KGC -1.7%, IAG -4.1%, BTG -2.5%, HL -3.8%, AGI -5.4%, AUQ -4.4%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, SGDM, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, DBS, DGZ, RING, DGLD, AGOL, PSAU, USV, TBAR, GEUR, UBG, GYEN, BAR, GDXX
Randgold Resources Ltd. Is a gold mining and exploration company, which engages in the mining, exploration and development of gold deposits and related activities. It develops and operates profitable gold mines in Central and West Africa. The company's projects include Kibali and Massawa and... More
Sector: Basic Materials
Other News & PR