Why Groupon Can Soar Like Priceline.com
Kevin Kuo • 66 Comments
Kevin Kuo • 66 Comments
Mon, Oct. 17, 9:14 AM
Thu, Jul. 28, 3:03 PM
Thu, Jul. 28, 12:59 PM
Thu, Jul. 28, 9:16 AM
- Gainers: EVOK +31%. GRPN +29%. OCN +25%. ALR +20%. N +18%. ESI +15%. TPX +15%. GRUB +13%. LOGI +13%. VSTM +12%. CRUS +11%. ASPS +11%. CHCI +11%. EBIO +11%. AXTI +11%. VNR +9%. SPHS +9%. VGZ +8%. KONA +7%. CLF +6%. ARIA 6%. SPU 5%. YNDX 5%.
- Losers: INFN -32%. ARGS -18%. AVXL -10%. IVTY -10%. F -8%. CIEN -8%. CBD -8%. XCOM -7%. EXAS -6%. WFM -5%.
Wed, Jul. 27, 5:39 PM
Wed, Jul. 27, 4:19 PM
- Groupon (GRPN -3.3%) has skyrocketed after hours, +23.8%, after Q2 results where it posted a narrower than expected net loss and easily beat top-line expectations, and boosted guidance again.
- EBITDA came to $34M, easily ahead of consensus for $25.4M. It lost $0.10/share on a GAAP basis.
- Groupon updated revenue guidance to $3B-$3.1B for the full year, vs. consensus for $3B. It now forecasts full-year EBITDA between $140M and $165M (well ahead of consensus for $120M).
- Gross billings were $1.49B, down 2% Y/Y, impacted by country exits. On a same-country basis, the company said, gross billings rose 1% (North America +8%; EMEA -12%; Rest of World -27%).
- The company added more than 1M new customers, most in more than two years.
- Global units (vouchers and products sold before cancellations and returns) fell 4% to 51M, again tied to country exits and restructuring.
- Conference call to come at 5 p.m. ET.
- Press Release
Wed, Jul. 27, 4:11 PM
Tue, Jul. 26, 5:35 PM
- ABCO, ABX, ACGL, AEM, AF, AGNC, AHL, ALEX, ALSN, AMCC, AMGN, ANIK, ARRS, ASGN, AXTI, BKCC, CA, CAKE, CBI, CBT, CDE, CMO, CMPR, CMRE, CNMD, COHR, CRUS, CSGP, CVTI, CW, CYS, DLB, DRE, ECHO, EFX, ELY, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXR, FB, FBHS, FOE, FORR, GG, GPRO, GRPN, HOLX, HT, IAC, IBKC, INFN, INT, ISBC, KEX, KGC, KIM, KNL, KNX, KONA, KRA, KS, LLNW, LM, LOGI, LPSN, LRCX, MAA, MANT, MAR, MCK, MEOH, MKSI, MMLP, MMSI, MN, MOH, MUR, NATI, NE, NEU, NGD, NOW, NTGR, NTRI, NVDQ, NXPI, O, OCN, OI, ORLY, OTEX, PEIX, PPC, PSA, PXD, QDEL, QEP, QTM, RCII, ROIC, RRTS, SCI, SFLY, SIGI, SPRT, SPSC, SSNC, SU, TER, TILE, TIS, TMK, TMST, TTEK, TTMI, TYL, UNM, VAR, VNDA, VNR, VRTX, WFM, WFT, WIRE, WLL, WRE, WSR, XL, XLNX
Mon, Jul. 18, 10:21 AM
- Groupon (GRPN +8.3%) has been moved to Overweight from Neutral with a $6 price target (current price $3.73).
- Attributes improved product focus and confidence in the deal marketplace's ability to execute in the local arena.
- Piper Jaffray analyst Samuel J. Kemp believes consensus valuations do not adequately factor in profit stemming from a growing rate of new customer acquisition.
- Kemp also cites a new management team with a sharpened focus and predicts an overall maturation of the company in its capacity to create shareholder value.
- $150M-$200M will be employed throughout 2016 in a marketing push Kemp sees as adding 3.5M-4.5M new accounts, forecasting similar numbers for 2017.
- $215M-$280M gross profit range given for these new customers factored on an average run rate basis.
Mon, Jul. 18, 9:12 AM
Tue, Jun. 21, 7:51 AM
Mon, May 9, 2:33 PM
- Restaurant software startup Upserve has acquired Groupon's (GRPN +1.5%) Breadcrumb restaurant point-of-sale software business in exchange for a minority stake in Upserve.
- Groupon bought Breadcrumb in 2012 for less than $15M. It considered selling the business last year, was reported in August to have called off its sale efforts. Breadcrumb has faced competition from Square, PayPal, and many others.
Mon, May 2, 11:02 AM
- Groupon (NASDAQ:GRPN) picked up a bit Thursday after hours following a revenue beat for Q1, but declined Friday and is off 5.7% today alongside some analyst updates.
- Jefferies's Brian Pitz says the company's transition to a more reliable footing is still a work in progress, and maintains its Hold rating (but with a higher price target of $3.50, now about 3% upside from today's lowered price). Groupon is continuing to streamline international operations while focusing investment in North America, with a an emphasis on new customers.
- Meanwhile, RBC Capital downgraded the stock (and trimmed its price target to $3) noting some fundamentals breaking down. “While there were a few positive/neutral data points (North America Active Customer growth) in the March quarter print, we see very few signs of a turnaround in fundamentals at Groupon."
- Now read Groupon: All Eyes On The Results »
Thu, Apr. 28, 4:29 PM
- Groupon (GRPN -4.1%) has moved up 3.9% after its Q1 beat expectations for revenue and the company raised EBITDA guidance for 2016.
- EBITDA came to $31.3M, easily surpassing expectations for $22.1M.
- Gross billings were $1.47B -- down 5% Y/Y, and down 3% excluding exchange-rate effects. On forex-neutral basis, billings were up 5% in North America, but down 12% in EMEA and 17% in Rest of World. Groupon says the billings drop is in part due to de-emphasizing low-margin Shopping offerings.
- Global units (vouchers and products sold before cancellations and returns) fell 3% to 52M as international restructuring continued. North America was up 6%, though.
- It maintained guidance on full-year revenues ($2.75B-$3.05B, in line with expectations) but raised expected EBITDA to $85M-$135M (vs. $110M expected). Those assumptions are based on "expected marketing investments, continued progress on increasing Shopping margins, and a reduction of our international footprint."
- The company today named Mike Randolfi its new permanent chief financial officer; he's taking over for interim CFO Brian Kayman.
- Conference call to come at 5 p.m. ET.
Thu, Apr. 28, 4:08 PM
- Groupon (NASDAQ:GRPN): Q1 EPS of -$0.01 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $731.97M (-2.4% Y/Y) beats by $13.61M.
- Shares +2.9%.
Wed, Apr. 27, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ACHC, AEM, AIV, AJG, ALDR, ALGN, AMCC, AMGN, AMZN, ARII, ATEN, ATHN, ATR, ATRC, AZPN, BCOV, BGS, BIDU, BMRN, BOOM, BRKS, BVN, CATM, CENX, CHDN, CHE, CHMT, CLD, CLW, COHR, COLM, COWN, CPHD, CPT, CUBE, DDR, DGII, DLR, ECOL, EHTH, ELLI, EMN, EPAY, EPR, ESS, EXLS, EXPE, EYES, FET, FII, FLEX, FLS, FPO, GB, GILD, GIMO, GNW, GRPN, HELE, HIG, HT, HTH, HURN, HWAY, INVA, IPHI, ISBC, JNPR, KBR, KRG, LEG, LNKD, LOGM, LPLA, MATW, MMSI, MOBL, MOH, MSA, MSCC, N, NATI, NFG, NPTN, NR, NSIT, NSR, NUS, OFIX, OMCL, OUTR, P, PCCC, PDFS, PFG, PODD, PXLW, QLIK, RGA, RGC, ROVI, RRC, RSG, SCSS, SGEN, SHOR, SKYW, SMCI, SNMX, SPN, SPNC, SRCL, STRZA, SWKS, SYNA, TEP, TLGT, TMST, TNDM, TRMB, TXTR, VCRA, VDSI, VGR, VR, VRSN, WDC, YRCW