Hain's Pullback Presents Opportunity, Long-Term Prospects Strong
The Socially Responsible Investor
The Socially Responsible Investor
Thu, Jul. 7, 7:55 AM
- Investors have bid up WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) to as high as $56.80 in the premarket session on some speculation that a higher offer than Danone's $56.25 could arrive down the road.
- Analysts say that WhiteWave has traded with a takeover premium ever since the company spun off from Dean Foods and see a spillover effect across the sector.
- "It is likely this potential transaction further fuels the acquisition speculation gripping the food stocks, pushing multiples even higher," observes Stifel Nicolaus analysts Christopher Guest.
- Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN), one of the usual food M&A suspects, is up 4.31% in premarket action.
- Previously: Danone agrees to $12.5B deal for WhiteWave Foods (July 7)
- WWAV +19.02% to $56.45.
Dec. 22, 2015, 8:16 AM
- Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN) announces the acquisition of Orchard House Foods for an undisclosed amount.
- Orchard House is a food supplier for retailers in the UK. The business will be consolidated into the Hain's UK operating segment.
- The company expects the purchase to add $60M to $65M to sales in FY16 and "modest" accretion.
Aug. 19, 2015, 11:38 AM
- Large food companies need to focus on bold M&A and innovation actions over recharging iconic brands, concludes Rabobank in a new report on the sector.
- A shift in consumer preferences has sparked a need to introduce new brands which are on trend - instead of focusing on "innovation-lite" and product reformulation strategies. Buying promising brands at an earlier stage than normal is seen as a forward-thinking strategy.
- Related stocks: KHC, MDLZ, PEP, KO, OTCPK:NSRGY, OTCPK:NSRGF, WWAV, HAIN, K, GIS, POST, CPB, PF, THS.
Mar. 25, 2015, 9:27 AM
- Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN), Pinnacle Foods (NYSE:PF), and WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) are all setting up for gains today after the Heinz-Kraft merger raises the M&A profile in the sector.
- Previously: Kraft, Heinz announce merger
- Previously: Food sector on watch after mega-merger announced
- Premarket trading: HAIN +1.9%, WWAV +1.9%, PF +1.0%.
Mar. 5, 2015, 7:30 AM
- Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN) acquires the 80% of Empire Kosher Foods it didn't already own.
- The transaction price for the stake was $57.6M.
- Empire is a leader of selling kosher brands at outlets in the U.S. including Whole Foods Market stores.
- Hain expects the deal to be accretive to earnings in FY16.
May 27, 2014, 7:28 AM
- A $6.4B offer by Pilgrim Pride's (PPC) to buy Hillshire Brands (HSH) could rattle the food sector.
- For starters, the deal could spoil Hillshire's offer on the table to buy Pinnacle Foods (PF).
- The quick analyst take on a PPC-HSH combination is favorable with the companies focused in different areas (chicken vs. packaged meat) which could lead to easy access to new distribution channels.
- Premarket: HSH +22.9% to $45.49, PF -5.3% to $31.50.
- Also on merger watch in the food sector: THS, SJM, GIS, KRFT, CPB, ADM, BGS, RAH, HAIN, K CAG
May 12, 2014, 7:13 AM
- A merger between Hillshire Brands and Pinnacle Foods could kickstart the consolidation frenzy in the food industry analysts have been forecasting.
- The sector has been tapped to see a high rate of mergers and buyouts due to the significant synergies that could be unleashed through combinations.
- On watch: THS, SJM, GIS, KRFT, CPB, ADM, BGS, RAH, HAIN, K, CAG
May 3, 2013, 11:09 AM
Hain Celestial (HAIN -2.5%) says it bought Ella's Kitchen Group and its 80 organic baby food products for an undisclosed amount. The company expects the acquisition to be accretive to earnings to the tune of $0.05-$0.08 per share by 2014.| May 3, 2013, 11:09 AM