Mar. 6, 2014, 5:10 PM
- As rumored, Supermarket chain owner Albertsons, controlled by an investor group led by P-E firm Cerberus, is acquiring Safeway (SWY). Investors are unhappy with the specific deal terms. (PR)
- Albertson's will pay $32.50/share in cash, distribute proceeds from the sale of Safeway's real estate subsidiary assets and Casa Ley stake (estimated value of $3.65/share), and distribute Safeway's 37.8M Blackhawk Network (HAWK) shares (current value of $3.95/share).
- The deal is expected to close in Q4, has a $400M termination fee, and comes with a 21-day go-shop period. Albertsons plans to fund the deal with the help of $7.6B in debt financing.
Feb. 19, 2014, 4:18 PM
- In tandem with its Q4 results, Safeway (SWY) announces it's "in discussions concerning a possible transaction involving the sale of the company."
- The company also says it's exploring options for monetizing its 49% stake in Mexican grocery store chain Casa Ley, and has decided to distribute its 37.8M-share, 72.2% stake in Blackhawk Network (HAWK) to shareholders. Blackhawk shares are down 1.2% AH.
- Q4 results, PR
- Previous: Safeway reportedly open to talks with P-E firms
HAWK vs. ETF Alternatives
Blackhawk Network Holdings Inc is engaged in providing prepaid payment & financial payment products. It offers gift cards, prepaid products, telecom & debit cards in physical & electronic forms and payment services in the United States & other countries.
Other News & PR