Tue, Jan. 13, 10:27 AM| Tue, Jan. 13, 10:27 AM | Comment!
Fri, Jan. 9, 5:31 PM
- HCA +2.6% AH after raising guidance for FY 2014 EBITDA to ~$7.4B from an earlier range of $7.25B-$7.35B.
- HCA says Q4 results will include a $68M increase in Medicaid revenues related to the reversal of the Texas Medicaid Waiver Program adjustment that had been recorded in Q3.
- Says same-facility admissions rose ~5% in Q4, while same-facility emergency room visits rose ~10.5%.
Dec. 2, 2014, 10:22 AM
- Based on data collected from the analysis of medical records, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) report that U.S. hospitals saved 50,000 lives in 2013 by making 17% fewer medical mistakes. The improvement includes a 9% decline in hospital-acquired conditions such as infections, bedsores and pneumonia.
- Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Sylvia Burwell is scheduled to announce the findings today at the CMS Healthcare Quality Conference in Baltimore.
- In 1999, the Institute of Medicine estimated that almost 100K people die each year from medical mistakes and poor quality of care. In 2010, the HHS inspector general estimated that poor care contributed to the deaths of 180K Medicare patients.
- One motivator for the improvement is a change in the way Medicare pays hospitals. Under updated rules, CMS reduces the reimbursement rate for hospitals that readmit too many patients within 30 days of discharge, an indicator of substandard care the first time.
- ETFs: IRY, IXJ,
- Hospital tickers: (HUM)(HCA +0.2%)(UHS -0.3%)(SEM +0.8%)(LPNT +0.4%)(CYH +0.3%)(SSY -0.2%)
Oct. 28, 2014, 3:54 PM| Oct. 28, 2014, 3:54 PM | Comment!
Oct. 28, 2014, 11:56 AM
- HCA Holdings (HCA -0.5%) Q3 results ($M): Revenues: 9,220 (9.0%); Operating Expenses: 8,291 (+6.9%); Net Income: 611 (+30.8%); EPS: 1.16 (+46.8%); Quick Assets: 515 (-21.7%); CF Ops (9 mo.); 2,821 (+15.0%).
- Number of hospitals: 165 (+1.9%); licensed beds: 43,241 (+2.9%); admissions: 449,400 (+3.9%); patient days: 2.15M (+5.8%); equivalent occupancy: 90.5% (+4.5%).
- 2014 Guidance: Revenues: $36.5B - 37.0B from $36.0B - 36.5B; non-GAAP EBITDA: $7.25B - 7.35B from $7.00B - 7.15B; non-GAAP EPS: $4.40 - 4.60 from $4.00 - 4.25; capex: ~$2.2B (unch).
Oct. 28, 2014, 8:30 AM
Oct. 27, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ACI, AET, AGCO, AIXG, ALR, AME, AMTD, AN, AXE, BP, CAS, CIT, CMI, CNC, CNX, COH, CPLA, CRY, CVLT, CYNO, DD, DIN, ECL, ENTG, FCX, FDP, FLWS, FMER, GLPI, GLW, HCA, HMC, HOT, HRS, ICON, IIVI, IPGP, LH, MDSO, MLM, MMC, MSM, MSO, MWV, NBL, NCI, NVS, PCAR, PCG, PES, PFE, PH, POR, RDWR, SAIA, SAVE, SCHN, SCOR, SHW, SIRI, SNCR, ST, SYRG, TECH, TKR, TRW, TTS, TWI, UBS, UTHR, VDSI, VRTS, VSH, WAB, WHR, XYL
Oct. 15, 2014, 5:33 PM
- HCA expects Q3 revenue of $9.22B and EPS of $1.16, above a consensus of $9.04B and $0.98.
- The hospital owner now forecasts full-year revenue of $36.5B-$37B and EPS of $4.40-$4.60, above a consensus of $36.4B and $4.22.
- Same-facility admissions rose 2.8% Y/Y in Q3, and same-facility equivalent admissions 4.1%. Same-facility uninsured admissions and equivalent admissions respectively fell 14.8% and 8.9%, and same-facility emergency room visits rose 7.3%.
- Full Q3 results are expected on or about Oct. 28.
Oct. 4, 2014, 4:30 PM
- Bill Gross, set to start working for Janus (NYSE:JNS) on Monday, tells Barron's there will be a “bear markets for all assets” if the Fed raises its short-term rate to 4% in the next few years.
- The Fed should target a rate of 2%, not 3.75-4%, to keep the economy in equilibrium, he says. Its current model fails to reflect structural changes in the economy.
- Gross expects his fund to hold a "decent percentage" of short-term high-yield paper (10-25%), yielding 3-4%. "Both Janus and I like one-to-three-year high-yield paper issued by companies such as Ally Financial (NYSE:ALLY) and HCA Holdings (NYSE:HCA)."
- Gross also likes Mexico (ETFs: EWW, UMX, SMK, DBMX, QMEX), and says he may take "mild short positions" in the euro (FXY, YCS, JYN, YCL) and yen (FXE, EUO, ERO, DRR, EUFX, ULE, URR).
- Janus may develop an ETF to track Gross's fund (MUTF:JUCTX).
Sep. 23, 2014, 12:01 PM
- (HCA +0.3%) acquires privately-held software firm PatientKeeper for an undisclosed sum.
- PatientKeeper provides hospital order entry and charge capture software and mobile apps that enable physicians to access and work with patient information across a variety of hospital IT systems. Doctors at HCA hospitals have been using PatientKeeper for seven years.
- The company has over 58K physician users.
Aug. 21, 2014, 11:43 AM
- Hedge funds are having a difficult time of it again this year, up 1% vs. a 7.5% gain for the S&P 500, according to Goldman Sachs, which crunched the numbers on 775 funds with $1.9T in AUM.
- Nevertheless, Goldman's list of 50 stocks which "matter most" to hedge funds has outperformed the S&P 500 on a quarterly basis 66% of the time since 2001. The stocks this quarter (posted in order of the number of funds in which a name is a top-10 holding):
- ACT, AAPL, FB, AGN, AAL, GM, TWC, AIG, MSFT, HTZ, CHTR, MU, WMB, LNG, C, DAL, HCA, APC, CBS, ALLY, GOOGL, APD, NRF, BAC, EBAY, LBTYK, PCLN, VRX, BIDU, DTV, DISH, DG, EQIX, MA, WAG, ARCP, GILD, LINTA, MON, FOXA, VC, AMZN, BRK.A, BRK.B, SUNE, CMCSA, JPM, MIC, CCI, HES, LAMR.
- A special call-out to Northstar Realty (NYSE:NRF), Visteon (NYSE:VC), SunEdison (NYSE:SUNE), Macquarie Infrastructure (NYSE:MIC), and Lamar Advertising (NASDAQ:LAMR) for making the list of hedge fund hotels despite their relatively tiny market caps.
Jul. 29, 2014, 10:50 AM
- HCA Holdings (HCA +1.7%) Q2 results: Net Revenues: $9,230M (+9.2%); Net Income: $483M (+14.2%); EPS: $1.07 (+17.6%); CF Ops: $1,693M (+8.9%).
- Same facility equivalent admissions up 2.2%. Same facility revenue per equivalent admission up 5.4%.
- 2014 Guidance: Revenues: $36.00B - 36.50B from $35.50B - 36.50B; adjusted EBITDA: $7.00B - 7.15B from $6.60B - 6.85B; adjusted EPS: $4.00 - 4.25 from $3.45 - 3.75, CAPEX: ~$2.2B (unch).
Jul. 29, 2014, 8:34 AM
Jul. 28, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ACI, AET, AGCO, AIXG, AKS, ALLY, AMAG, AMG, ARW, AUDC, AVX, AXE, BP, CARB, CAS, CNX, CPLA, CRS, CVLT, CYNO, DIN, DSX, ECL, ENTG, ETN, ETR, FDP, FIS, FSS, GLT, GLW, GNC, GTI, HCA, HMC, HRS, HW, ICON, IP, IPGP, ITW, KLIC, LVLT, MDC, MDSO, MDXG, MHFI, MLM, MMC, MRK, MSO, NCI, NEE, NLSN, NMM, NOV, NYT, OSK, PCAR, PFE, POR, RAI, RYN, SAVE, SIRI, SNCR, ST, TLM, TRW, UAM, UBS, UBSI, UDR, UPS, UTHR, VSH, WDR, WM, WYNN, XYL, YNDX
Jul. 25, 2014, 3:27 PM
- Money is flowing into hospital management firms today on bullish views about the impact of The Affordable Care Act. LifePoint Hospitals (LPNT +7.2%) leads the charge after it increased its earnings guidance earlier today.
- (UHS +6.6%) (HCA +2.3%) (SEM +0.4%) (THC +8.8%) (SSY -4.2%) (CYH +3.8%) (CHDX) (SCAI +1%) (ADPT -1.1%)
Jul. 16, 2014, 10:05 AM
- HCA Holdings (HCA +8%) Q2 preliminary results: revenues: $9.23B (+9.2%); pre-tax income: $904M (+12.2%); EPS: $1.07 (+17.6%).
- Same facility admissions +1.2%; same facility equivalent admissions +2.2%; same facility revenue per equivalent admission +5.4%; case mix +1.7%.
- Updated 2014 guidance: revenues: $36.0B - 36.5B up from $35.5B - 36.5B; adjusted EBITDA: $7.0B - 7.15B up from $6.6B - 6.85B; adjusted EPS: $4.00 - 4.25 up from $3.45 - 3.75; CAPEX: ~$2.2B (unch).
Other News & PR