Mon, Aug. 24, 5:36 PM
Wed, Aug. 12, 3:46 PM
- China's moves to devalue the yuan and the potential for further devaluation have favorably shifted the risk/reward for stocks of precious metal miners, Deutsche Bank says as it upgrades Newmont Mining (NEM +6.1%) and Barrick Gold (ABX +5.2%) to Buy from Hold, citing improving balance sheets and share pullbacks the firm views as overdone compared to the move in gold prices.
- The firm notes 82% of ABX's and NEM's estimated 2016 revenues come from gold; Kinross Gold (KGC +2.8%) and Goldcorp (GG +4.9%) derive a respective 97% and 73% of their expected 2016 revenues from gold.
- Among silver miners, Deutsche Bank upgrades Pan American Silver (PAAS +6.1%) and Hecla Mining (HL +7.6%) to Buy from Hold, citing their cost exposures outside the U.S. and their respective 26% and 38% gold exposure.
Thu, Aug. 6, 8:25 AM
Wed, Aug. 5, 5:30 PM
- AAON, ACTA, AGIO, AGN, AGO, AINV, AMCX, APA, AXAS, AYR, BBEP, BBW, BCE, BDBD, BDX, BECN, CC, CCC, CCOI, CECE, CNK, CNQ, CNSL, CRIS, CRZO, CTB, DDD, DUK, DX, EAT, EBS, EMES, ENOC, ENR, EXK, EXTR, FSV, FSYS, GCAP, GLOG, GLP, GNRC, GOGO, GTXI, GWPH, HCLP, HGG, HII, HILL, HL, HSNI, INFI, INSY, IRC, KOP, KORS, LAMR, LEAF, LPI, LQDT, MBLY, MEG, MFC, MITL, MMP, MMS, MPEL, MYL, NGS, NRF, NRP, NRZ, NVO, NXST, NXTM, NYT, OA, OGE, ONE, OTIV, OWW, PBH, PGNX, PLUG, PRIM, RDEN, RGEN, RICE, RSTI, RVLT, RWLK, SATS, SBH, SEAS, SFY, SGM, SNH, SPH, SRPT, SSTK, STN, SUNE, TA, TAP, TDC, TECH, TESO, THS, TK, TLP, TNK, VER, VIAB, WIN, WPP, YORW, ZEUS
Mon, Jul. 20, 10:39 AM
- Several gold miner stocks strike new 52-week lows in early trading, as gold prices plunge below $1,100/oz. overnight and adding pressure to a sector that already faces razor-thin margins.
- Investors have turned sharply negative on gold as the U.S. dollar rises ahead of a likely rise in interest rates, and a report out of China shows lower than expected holdings of the metal.
- While most senior gold miners can generate decent margins at $1,100 gold, many small and mid-tier producers are underwater at the price, and some of the seniors are struggling with heavy debt.
- Hitting new 52-week lows today: ABX -9.3%, GG -7.7%, GFI -10.7%, KGC -9.4%, AGI -6.6%, AU -9.7%, SBGL -7.8%, BTG -9.3%, EGO -2.9%, NGD -8%, AUY -8.8%, RGLD -8.2%, FNV -6.8%, SLW -5%.
- Also lower: NEM -9.4%, AEM -7.9%, NG -7%, GOLD -4.8%, IAG -5.1%, HL -5.4%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, SILJ, RING, JUNR, PSAU, TGLDX, GDJJ, GDXS, GDXX, GDJS
Fri, Jul. 17, 2:58 PM
- Barrick Gold (ABX -4.9%) sinks to 24-year lows in Toronto trading, leading a rout among bullion miners as the yellow metal extends its selloff to five-year lows.
- ABX is under particular pressure, as the fall in gold casts doubt on the company’s strategy of shedding assets to pay down its $12.9B debt, as it "becomes harder and harder to sell those assets at any kind of reasonable value if metal prices are unwinding," Macquarie analyst Ron Stewart says.
- ABX reportedly is nearing a deal to sell its Zaldivar copper mine in Chile, and is looking for buyers for its 50% stake in its Kalgoorlie mine, among other properties.
- NEM -2.6%, GG -5.7%, GFI -1.1%, KGC -5.2%, AEM -5.1%, NG -2.2%, AGI -6.6%, AU -5.7%, GOLD -2.5%, SBGL -4.2%, BTG -6.4%, IAG -7.6%, EGO -7.6%, HL -3.5%, NGD -8.4%, AUY -2.9%, RGLD -2.9%, FNV -3.6%, SLW -3.3%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXS, GDXX
Thu, Jul. 16, 8:58 AM
- Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) estimates Q2 silver production rose to 10.5M-11M oz. from 10.5M oz., with silver equivalent production of 8.7M oz., flat Y/Y.
- HL says higher grades and recoveries at Greens Creek during Q2 continued to improve the mine's already strong performance; for a mine producing 7M-plus oz./year of silver, an 8% increase in silver recovery is "a significant value driver, especially when coupled with the higher grades."
- Says it has secured the third party-owned Velardeña mill to process ore from its high-grade San Sebastian project in Mexico.
Tue, Jun. 2, 7:57 AM
- Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) is in exclusive talks with AngloGold Ashanti (NYSE:AU) as it moves closer toward clinching a deal to buy the latter's Cripple Creek & Victor gold mine in Colorado, Reuters reports.
- If AU agrees to a sale, the asset is likely to fetch a price in the $700M-$800M range, according to the report, which would be well below the $1B initially speculated by analysts.
- Others that may still re-enter the bidding if NEM fails to strike a deal are Canadian miners Iamgold (NYSE:IAG), Kinross (NYSE:KGC), Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) and Yamana (NYSE:AUY); Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) has said it looked at the mine but decided against making a bid for it.
- AU said in April it was seeking a partner or buyer for the mine as it attempts to cut $3.1B in debt; Cripple Creek & Victor is an open pit mine that produced 211K oz. of gold and 110K oz. of silver in 2014.
Thu, May 7, 8:04 AM
Wed, May 6, 5:30 PM
- AAON, ACHN, ACRE, AEE, AGIO, AKRX, ALE, ALU, AMRC, APA, APO, ARCP, ARIA, AXAS, BABA, BDBD, BDX, CBB, CCC, CCOI, CDW, CECE, CHD, CNK, CNQ, CNSL, CONE, COT, COTY, CRIS, CSIQ, DFT, DNOW, DWRE, ENZY, FIG, FSYS, GLP, GOGO, GOLD, GSM, HII, HILL, HL, HPT, INSY, INXN, IRC, IT, KATE, LEAF, LIOX, LPI, LQDT, LXP, MFC, MGA, MITL, MMS, MPEL, MPW, MT, MWW, MZOR, NCLH, NICE, NJR, NRP, NXST, OGE, ONE, OWW, PCLN, PDCE, PGEM, PMC, PPL, PRFT, RDEN, REGN, RESI, REV, RFP, RGEN, RICE, RRD, RSTI, RWLK, SATS, SEAS, SFY, SNAK, SNI, SPH, SRPT, SSTK, STE, SUNE, TA, TAP, TDC, THS, TIME, TLM, TLP, TU, USAC, VC, VTG, WAC, WIN, WPG, WPP, WRES
Mon, Apr. 27, 6:45 PM
- Gold surged above $1,200/oz. today in its best day since January, as U.S. June gold futures settled up 2.4% to $1,203.20/oz. in its best percentage jump since Jan. 15, amid reports Friday that Venezuela's central bank had converted 1.4M oz. of its gold reserves into at least $1B in cash through a swap with Citibank.
- "That was a huge potential seller taken out of the market. It's not an overhang anymore," Dennis Gartman said of the Venezuela deal.
- Other gold watchers say the bigger factor driving prices was the expiration of May options and short covering; an increase of 13K shorts in the market is a positive since those traders could be forced to buy gold when they cover, says Kevin Grady of Phoenix Futures and Options.
- ETFs: GLD, IAU, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, GLDI, OUNZ, DGL, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, TBAR, GEUR, UBG, GYEN, BAR
- Miners finished mostly higher: NEM +2.4%, ABX +2.2%, AU +2.6%, GOLD -0.4%, GFI +5.3%, GG +0.9%, SBGL +3%, NGD +3.1%, EGO +1.7%, AUY +1.8%, KGC flat, IAG +4.2%, BTG +1.9%, HL +1.9%, RGLD -0.8%, FNV +0.8%, AGI +1.3%, AUQ +2.3%.
Fri, Apr. 24, 6:50 PM
- In another day of broad losses among in precious metals miners, Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) enjoyed a 6.5% surge following strong Q1 results that included impressive cost reductions in gold and copper production.
- J.P. Morgan analysts especially liked the strong first quarter at Batu Hijau and Yanacocha and the deferral of some capex that allowed NEM to generate $344M in free cash flows and pay down $200M in debt; the firm says full-year guidance could be raised if cost reductions can be maintained in Q2.
- Otherwise, it was not a good day for mining equities, following another drop in gold futures which tumbled to their lowest level in more than a month.
- NEM CEO Gary Goldberg expects gold prices to gain ~25% to $1,500/oz. by 2020 on rising demand from China and a weaker dollar; for now, Goldberg says the strong U.S. dollar is “definitely having an adverse effect” on gold prices, and he expects the dollar will “eventually come back off of its highs in the next couple of years."
- In today's trade: ABX -0.9%, AU -4.2%, GG -2.6%, SBGL -7.7%, GOLD -2%, AUY -2.5%, NGD -1.9%, GFI -4.4%, SLW -1%, PAAS -1.6%, EGO -4.1%, RGLD -2.7%, FNV -2.1%, KGC -0.4%, IAG -1.4%, BTG -1.9%, HL -1.9%, AGI -1.6%, AUQ -3.1%.
Wed, Apr. 22, 6:36 PM
- Gold tumbled today to its sharpest single session loss in more than six weeks, after the strong U.S. existing home sales report that raised expectations for a Fed interest rate hike in June.
- U.S. gold futures for June delivery fell $16.20 (-1.4%) to settle at $1,186.90/oz., while silver fell 1.3% to $15.77.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX -3.4%, AU -4%, GG -2.8%, SBGL -6.8%, GOLD -1.5%, AUY -3.7%, NG -1.9%, GFI -5%, SLW -2.1%, PAAS -3.5%, NEM -3.1%, EGO -1.4%, RGLD -2.1%, FNV -3.4%, KGC -1.7%, IAG -4.1%, BTG -2.5%, HL -3.8%, AGI -5.4%, AUQ -4.4%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, SGDM, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, DBS, DGZ, RING, DGLD, AGOL, PSAU, USV, TBAR, GEUR, UBG, GYEN, BAR, GDXX
Mon, Apr. 20, 1:23 PM
- Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Australia's Newcrest Mining (OTCPK:NCMGF, OTCPK:NCMGY) reportedly are among the bidders for Barrick Gold's (ABX -0.3%) Australian Cowal mine, which is on the block as ABX continues to shrink its global footprint.
- Gold Fields (NYSE:GFI) and Evolution Mining (OTCPK:CAHPF) also are said to be among other companies to have made it through to a second round of bidding for Cowal.
- ABX in February started a process to sell the mine, as well as a joint venture in Papua New Guinea; Cowal could be worth as much as $700M after the open-pit mine produced 268K oz. of gold last year.
Fri, Mar. 27, 8:20 AM
- Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) agrees to acquire Revett Mining (NYSEMKT:RVM) in an all-stock deal valued at $20M.
- HL says it plans to continue to advance permitting of the Rock Creek project in Montana, one of North America's largest undeveloped silver and copper deposits; RVM has reported inferred resources of 229M oz. of silver and 2B lbs. of copper at Rock Creek.
Fri, Mar. 6, 2:42 PM
- Precious metals miners are bludgeoned as April Comex gold tumbles 2.7% to $1,164.30/oz. for its lowest settlement of the year so far.
- The culprit was the upbeat February jobs report, which sparked fears that the improving economy will prompt the Fed to hike interest rates sooner rather than later.
- ABX -6%, GG -6.6%, NEM -7.9%, AU -6.1%, AUY -6.6%, KGC -7.8%, SLW -3.4%, GOLD -5.4%, EGO -5%, GFI -7.9%, HL -10.4%, RGLD -8.6%, FNV -3.2%, NG -4.3%, SBGL -6.4%, PAAS -4.3%,BTG -6.5%, IAG -6.2%, AUQ -5.6%, AGI -2.8%.
- Precious metals ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, OUNZ, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, WITE, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, BARS, RGRP, BLNG
- Precious metals mining ETFs: GDX, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, RING, SGDM, PSAU, GDXX
HL vs. ETF Alternatives
Hecla Mining Co through its subsidiaries produces lead, zinc and bulk concentrates, which it sells to custom smelters, and unrefined bullion bars containing gold and silver, which are further refined before sale to precious metals traders.
Other News & PR