Fri, Nov. 20, 8:34 AM
Fri, Oct. 9, 1:22 PM
Fri, Oct. 9, 12:27 PM
- HRG Group (HRG +0.6%) agrees to sell gas fields in Louisiana and Texas, including drilling rights across ~90K acres and ~34M cf/day of production, to privately-held Indigo Minerals for $160M in cash.
- HRG says the deal reflects the high quality of the assets and prospectivity of the Cotton Valley formation for horizontal exploitation.
- Omar Asali, former co-head of hedge fund strategies at Goldman Sachs, has sought to refocus operations since becoming HRG's CEO this year.
Fri, Oct. 2, 4:56 AM
- China' Anbang Insurance Group is the favorite to win an auction to acquire Des Moines company Fidelity & Guaranty Life (NYSE:FGL), Reuters reports.
- Fidelity, whose market cap is $1.5B, is controlled by financial-interests holding company HRG (NYSE:HRG), which said in April that it was exploring a sale of its 80.6% stake in the subsidiary.
- If it buys Fidelity, Anbang would join other Chinese insurers that have entered the U.S. market.
Fri, Aug. 28, 1:23 PM
- HC2 (NYSEMKT:HCHC) offers more value today than just after Phil Falcone took control of what was then a liquidating entity named PTGI Holding, writes Brad Kern.
- The stock then (March 2014) traded for $3.70 and subsequently ran up to as high as $13 a year later. Since, the stock lost about 50% of its value, in part thanks to a failed bid for MCG Capital, and worries Harbinger Group (NYSE:HRG) would seek to unload the rest of its 4.7M share stake (HRG sold more than 1M shares as the stock price cratered over the past weeks).
- By Kern's SOTP analysis, HC2 has a mid-range NAV of $10.33 vs. last night's close of $6.33. The shares are higher today by 11.1% to $7.03.
Thu, Aug. 6, 4:11 PM
Fri, May 8, 8:33 AM
Fri, Feb. 6, 8:35 AM
Fri, Jan. 23, 9:34 AM
Nov. 25, 2014, 4:24 PM
- Leucadia National (NYSE:LUK) has added another 5M shares to its holdings of Harbinger Group (NYSE:HRG), bringing its stake in the firm up to 22%, reports Bloomberg.
- Previously: Phil Falcone to leave Harbinger Group
- Harbinger closed higher by 3.6% in the regular session following news of Falcone's exit. HC2 Holdings (OTCQB:HCHC), where Falcone will apparently be able to concentrate more of his considerable deal-making skills, closed higher by 6.8%, and is now more than a double in the less-than-three months since SA Pro's Whopper Investments brought the barely-followed name to the attention of investors.
Nov. 25, 2014, 1:18 PM
- Phil Falcone is resigning as CEO and Chairman of Harbinger Group (HRG +1.2%) effective Dec. 1, when he is expected to focus the continuing liquidation of his Harbinger Capital Partners hedge fund, developing HC2 Holdings (OTCQB:HCHC) and fighting for assets in the Lightsqaured bankruptcy proceeding.
- Falcone became one of the investing stars of the financial crisis after anticipating the housing collapse, and at one point managed $26B; last year, he was barred from the industry for at least five years as part of a settlement with U.S. regulators after improperly borrowing money from his fund to pay his personal taxes and giving preferential treatment to some investors.
- Board member and Leucadia National (NYSE:LUK) Chairman Joseph Steinberg will become HRG's chairman, and the company will launch a search for a new CEO.
Nov. 21, 2014, 8:34 AM
Nov. 20, 2014, 5:30 PM
Oct. 7, 2014, 8:38 AM
- Exco Resources (NYSE:XCO) +10.6% premarket after saying it sold its 25% interest in Compass Production Partners to an affiliate of Harbinger Group (NYSE:HRG) for $118.75M.
- XCO says the sale will help improve its balance sheet and simplify its corporate structure, and it plans to use the proceeds to reduce the revolving commitment under its credit agreement.
- RBC lowers its XCO price target to $3 from $4 after the sale of the remaining conventional east Texas/north Louisiana and Permian assets, reducing its 2015-16 cash flow per share estimates by 11%-12% and NAV by 7% to reflect impacts of the transaction (Briefing.com).
Aug. 8, 2014, 8:37 AM
Aug. 7, 2014, 5:30 PM
HRG Group Inc is a diversified holding company. It provides consumer products including batteries, personal care products, household appliances, pet supplies, and home & garden pest control products, as well as life insurance and annuity products.
Other News & PR